Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Yup, I fully expect the Cayenne to be completely horrendous in it. 2.3t on 295 width summer tyres. When the tyres are due for replacement I'll be running winters all year round tbh.
P38 had General winter tyres on it for 3 years, still good thread on them

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I put uniroyal all season experts on the freelander last year and they are still in great condition. Fantastic in the sort of crap weather we have had, rain, rain, sunshine, rain, frost, rain and a bit more rain.
Had a light skiff of sleet on the Hightown road and upper crumlin road just at the quarry there this evening. Good job getting the winters on at the weekend. (y)

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Tyres are 100% everything. Just a shame our weather is so unpredictable. Softer compounds and snow treads wear out so fast when we get a month of temperatures in the teens in the middle of winter :worried:
I haven't found that to be the case. I put a set of Kumho Wintercraft tyres on my Freelander last year and and left them on all year, done 18,500 miles on them now, rears are still like new and the fronts still have loads of life left in them, easily enough to see me through this winter too.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's the wee sipes in the blocks you need to watch for on winter tyres though, not the block tread depth.

It's also different with actual winter tyres as opposed to "all weather" tyres. The latter are more like summer tyres with a bit more tread.

Winter tyres do wear faster when it gets warmer but as usual it all depends on driving style and all the rest of it. If you do tend to "push on" then winter tyres may not be that great in summer. But for any normal trundling around at legal speeds on normal roads they can be fine.

Loads of people do use them all year round. It's obviously more optimal to use summer tyres in summer and winter tyres in winter, but if you have to choose then winter tyres all year can be fine for a lot of people.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
It's the wee sipes in the blocks you need to watch for on winter tyres though, not the block tread depth.

It's also different with actual winter tyres as opposed to "all weather" tyres. The latter are more like summer tyres with a bit more tread.

Winter tyres do wear faster when it gets warmer but as usual it all depends on driving style and all the rest of it. If you do tend to "push on" then winter tyres may not be that great in summer. But for any normal trundling around at legal speeds on normal roads they can be fine.

Loads of people do use them all year round. It's obviously more optimal to use summer tyres in summer and winter tyres in winter, but if you have to choose then winter tyres all year can be fine for a lot of people.

3 1/2 tons wears any tyre down pretty quickly regardless of speed sadly. If I had the room I'd have another set of wheels/tyres for winter definitely.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
3 1/2 tons wears any tyre down pretty quickly regardless of speed sadly. If I had the room I'd have another set of wheels/tyres for winter definitely.

I stuck a cheap pair on the front of my RR in June until I touched for a set of 18’s as I wanted to run General Grabber AT3’s the same as the pickup, but the cheap tyres I fitted have been excellent so far. Barely worn, offer a surprising amount of grip even when pushing on with a trailer on the back and have been very impressive on loose terrain such as in the wet fields and in the quarry when climbing up from the quarry floor with a fully loaded trailer. They’re a set of winters too, so I’ll probably opt for a pair for the rear soon too, to keep her on matching tyres.

There’s Fulda winter tyres on my wife’s Renegade which is 4wd too, and they’re on almost a year now and still showing a lot of tread. I couldn’t justify putting the summer tyres back on this year as even with the temps up a bit, the winters cope much better with wet roads and displace the water better. She would be easy enough on a motor though with regards to cornering and pottering about.

I don’t think I’d run anything other than AT’s or winter tyres on daily driven motors now.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
I stuck a cheap pair on the front of my RR in June until I touched for a set of 18’s as I wanted to run General Grabber AT3’s the same as the pickup, but the cheap tyres I fitted have been excellent so far. Barely worn, offer a surprising amount of grip even when pushing on with a trailer on the back and have been very impressive on loose terrain such as in the wet fields and in the quarry when climbing up from the quarry floor with a fully loaded trailer. They’re a set of winters too, so I’ll probably opt for a pair for the rear soon too, to keep her on matching tyres.

There’s Fulda winter tyres on my wife’s Renegade which is 4wd too, and they’re on almost a year now and still showing a lot of tread. I couldn’t justify putting the summer tyres back on this year as even with the temps up a bit, the winters cope much better with wet roads and displace the water better. She would be easy enough on a motor though with regards to cornering and pottering about.

I don’t think I’d run anything other than AT’s or winter tyres on daily driven motors now.

I've Wrangler HPs on at the moment with a pretty aggressive tread but I wouldn't have the same confidence in them as proper winter tyres.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Obviously be careful with winters front and summer rear if we actually do get ice, snow and slush - unless you're a drifting God of course 😁 :cool:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Obviously be careful with winters front and summer rear if we actually do get ice, snow and slush - unless you're a drifting God of course 😁 :cool:

That thing of mine is on winters all round now. I'd just like to have them as a matching set so there’s equal grip on all corners.

Drifting a 3ton tub is all well and good until you have to stop, then it gets emotional... lol

Dave..

RMS Regular
I used my insa turbo mud tyres on my defender for the last deep snow and they were great. Plenty of grip. Still sh!te the rest of the time 😂😂

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I used my insa turbo mud tyres on my defender for the last deep snow and they were great. Plenty of grip. Still sh!te the rest of the time 😂😂
Great in deep snow with the thread, but say they’d leave a lot to be desired in icey conditions lol.

That thing of mine is on winters all round now. I'd just like to have them as a matching set so there’s equal grip on all corners.

Drifting a 3ton tub is all well and good until you have to stop, then it gets emotional... lol

Yeah Drifting a near 3 ton brute is only fun for so long, then you realise you are no longer in control 8o|:no_mouth:

I blame @Coog for making it look easy in the jimny lol
Try a set of Pirelli or general all terrains. Should get 30-40k on a set in the rangie
I had General SnowGrabbers on the p38, probably done 20k+ on them and would have said there was an easy 5-10 left

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Yeah Drifting a near 3 ton brute is only fun for so long, then you realise you are no longer in control 8o|:no_mouth:

I blame @Coog for making it look easy in the jimny lol

A good stiff breeze will stop a Jimny. It would take a wall, a large truck and probably a Volvo 740 to stop a Range Rover that’s decided to break traction... 😂

@Coog has a lot to answer for though:

F11A3E6E-ACB0-4A30-8F45-3FC192E9D5CD.jpeg

Dave..

RMS Regular
Saw snow today in the hills around Dundonald, standing in the freezing wind for 4 hours metal detecting.
We must be mad.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Will anywhere have decent snow tomorrow you think? Would like to take my son out with his wee snowboard and let him play in it.