Drives
Great news
Thought the showers were gone from here soaked already and looks like another 😩
CFA10128-19EC-424C-8ACE-B26795F9CDC1.jpeg

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I was just about to go out for a run and the heavens opened. I just came straight back in, poured a pint and I’m now watching the football instead. 😂
It absolutely chucked it down on me from the golden chipper to the ring road. Just back in now by my house is dry 🤣

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Anyone bought winters recently? I had a look online but there’s next to nothing available. I thought there was usually a decent enough selection all year? Do you need to wait until closer to winter?
Like a lot off stuff there is a big issue with getting tyres. Stocks here and supplies to get are low and transports stupidly expensive and ridiculously slow. Sh!ts going to hit the fan before the years out, especially in agriculture stuff

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Is it the same down south? Would have thought there shouldn't be the same issues there.
Like a lot off stuff there is a big issue with getting tyres. Stocks here and supplies to get are low and transports stupidly expensive and ridiculously slow. Sh!ts going to hit the fan before the years out, especially in agriculture stuff

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, Brexit is just getting better and better, brilliant idea that was, genius :joy: 🤫

Latest "solution" appears to be to allow European drivers to come back and work here again. But only a few thousand permits, and only for two months up to Christmas 🙈 Who's going to give up a job in Europe and wade through Brexit paperwork for a few weeks' work here?

But... aaaanyway :joy: 🙈

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Is it the same down south? Would have thought there shouldn't be the same issues there.
Brexit isn’t the big issue. Container prices from China etc have quadrupled at least. Cheap stuff has got dearer. Also is production issues in that tyres just aren’t available. There agricultural tyres that just aren’t in stock on this island and no one has any order and is unable to order them and no date of when they will be made.

Yep, Brexit is just getting better and better, brilliant idea that was, genius :joy: 🤫

Latest "solution" appears to be to allow European drivers to come back and work here again. But only a few thousand permits, and only for two months up to Christmas 🙈 Who's going to give up a job in Europe and wade through Brexit paperwork for a few weeks' work here?

But... aaaanyway :joy: 🙈
Oh aye brexit has been a great idea so far 🤦🏻‍♂️

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah, wasn't neccessarily thinking Brexit is the issue but the driver shortage in the mainland would be a contributing factor.
I had read last year about a looming natural rubber shortage due to disease in trees and lack of labour willing to harvest the rubber from the trees etc. Was wondering if that was also a part of it along with the covid effects on shipping and everything else.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Yeah, wasn't neccessarily thinking Brexit is the issue but the driver shortage in the mainland would be a contributing factor.
I had read last year about a looming natural rubber shortage due to disease in trees and lack of labour willing to harvest the rubber from the trees etc. Was wondering if that was also a part of it along with the covid effects on shipping and everything else.

So what you are saying is the winter tyres I have currently for sale are priced far too cheap?! :p

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Anyone ever had Nokian Snowproof P? I've had WR4's in the past and they were fantastic, and obviously Nokian get a great name for winter tyres, but the Snowproof (replaced the WR4 and superseded by Snowproof P) doesn't get great reviews. The P seems to be better, but theres not much info online about it. Would be good to hear of any first hand experience and if it is as good as Nokian of old!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Not specifically a snow tyre although they do have the snow symbol but I’ve 4 new maxxis all season on the daily and I’m impressed so far since the roads have become wetter and greasy, very sure footed and doesn’t understeer, no wheel spin pulling out of greasy junctions either. They have a good chunky tread approx 9mm new so it will be interesting to see how they cope when snow arrives.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Anyone ever had Nokian Snowproof P? I've had WR4's in the past and they were fantastic, and obviously Nokian get a great name for winter tyres, but the Snowproof (replaced the WR4 and superseded by Snowproof P) doesn't get great reviews. The P seems to be better, but theres not much info online about it. Would be good to hear of any first hand experience and if it is as good as Nokian of old!
Actually been looking around for Nokian recently, doesn't seem to be a lot available in the UK right now?

Have used the WR before and they're superb winter tyres.

Are you sure the "Snowproof" is a replacement for WR? Not more an "all weather"/budget kind of tyre?

The Conti winter tyres were pretty good too.
Not specifically a snow tyre although they do have the snow symbol but I’ve 4 new maxxis all season on the daily and I’m impressed so far since the roads have become wetter and greasy, very sure footed and doesn’t understeer, no wheel spin pulling out of greasy junctions either. They have a good chunky tread approx 9mm new so it will be interesting to see how they cope when snow arrives.
They'll be ok in slush and much with the wider tread, but no more use than summer tyres on actual snow and ice.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
872A1F98-9694-4618-BC9A-8AC39AF22ED5.jpeg

Though I see there is a WR A4 and D4. D4 has the same tread arrangement as this whereas the A4 is different. Pain in the hole!

Edit- directional and asymmetric. Not sure what difference that makes in winter tyres!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Though I see there is a WR A4 and D4. D4 has the same tread arrangement as this whereas the A4 is different. Pain in the hole!

Edit- directional and asymmetric. Not sure what difference that makes in winter tyres!

The WR-A was the good performance tyre, that's the one I've used before. The WR-D was the "normal" tyre and more "cost effective". Looks like the "Snowproof" is the new name for "WR-D" then?

No idea, lol.

Marketing should be banned :joy:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
The WR-A was the good performance tyre, that's the one I've used before. The WR-D was the "normal" tyre and more "cost effective". Looks like the "Snowproof" is the new name for "WR-D" then?

No idea, lol.

Marketing should be banned :joy:

It seems the Snowproof replaced the D4 and the Snowproof P replaced the A4.

Glad I spent the time investigating this

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
They'll be ok in slush and much with the wider tread, but no more use than summer tyres on actual snow and ice.
I had Hankook optimo 4 seasons on the 500l and they were fantastic in the snow. I was driving over the Coleraine mountain early every morning before the gritter and snow plough they never put a foot wrong.