Drives
M3 Evolution
There’s a decent layer here in dunloy.

I’m taking the discovery 3 today but bet it breaks down lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Just wet slush at the house this morning near crumlin at 6:30. Nutts Corner had a bit more and by loanends it was deep slushy snow. By the end of the 7 mile straight it was 3" of snow with 6 to 8" drifts. A few cars stopped and stranded on ligoniel hill and I got bogged down in a few drifts near the top but the winters did their job.
Now sat in work thinking why did I fit winters because I could have just turned around and gone home.

RevT

RMS Regular
Cookstown area is brutal. Typically we only had the E90 with non-snow tyres in the driveway this morning after I left my car with snow tyres in the town lastnight after pints. What a handling the back roads were, hedged a few times.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Little bit round home, but luckily on the ground water is clearing it from the roads.

Mrs Lyons wrecked a tyre on a hidden pothole on the way to work, so have to go home and get a spare at lunch then head over to swap it. Great start to a Monday.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Little bit round home, but luckily on the ground water is clearing it from the roads.

Mrs Lyons wrecked a tyre on a hidden pothole on the way to work, so have to go home and get a spare at lunch then head over to swap it. Great start to a Monday.

Did that a few years ago. Two on the same side way down south in the sticks somewhere. Handling and a half.

Hence higher profile tyres over winter. Look crap but a hell of a lot more forgiving.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I'm trying to work out if the Golf has a space saver, in which case I'd maybe just avail of the breakdown rather than fannying about myself. Can't picture it though!

The roads are so bad these days you could really do with higher profiles all year.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I'm trying to work out if the Golf has a space saver, in which case I'd maybe just avail of the breakdown rather than fannying about myself. Can't picture it though!

The roads are so bad these days you could really do with higher profiles all year.

I’ve the 18’s off her Renegade and a set of 16” steel wheels with winter tyres with 65 profile tyres on it for that reason.

A mate of mine had to go out to the Magheraknock Road between Lisburn and Ballynahinch on Friday night after his woman wrecked 2 of the new £1200 22” wheels on their Disco 3 that has rubber band-esque tyres on it. He said there was 3 other cars along that road waiting to be rescued after hitting big holes too.

This winter has really taken its toll on the roads with the amount of rain we’ve had, and any patches or filled holes have just come back and gotten bigger...

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool

Definitely a day for it, had to go rescue Mrs Sunrise with the same problem, put one of the snow tyre spares I have but this keeps up the whole set will be going on.
27585C2E-83C3-4604-8836-57724DE7E1E8.jpeg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
My other cars have actual sidewalls, but the Volvo is on 35-profile on 20s... Keeps you on your toes on bad roads and on broken city streets, can't just blunder through! And don't even think about kerbs, lol, stay well clear...

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Exactly right. And if you do bend one you can sort it at home. I'd rather the car looked a bit poo than deal with a roadside snow puncture lol
Totally agree but with around 20-25 wheels / tyres lying around for the MX5 and a couple of other sets of tyres for my daily and the sons, I dont need more wheels to store.
I mean how could I keep giving @Lyons Abuse over his wheely problems? :p :p

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
My other cars have actual sidewalls, but the Volvo is on 35-profile on 20s... Keeps you on your toes on bad roads and on broken city streets, can't just blunder through! And don't even think about kerbs, lol, stay well clear...

I thought they were on 19s, but I do vaguely recall something about 20s lol

That's mad as that's what I run on the RS6

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I thought they were on 19s, but I do vaguely recall something about 20s lol

The P* is on 20s to clear the brakes. And for the bling I assume 😅 They're surprisingly light though, the ride is fine, just not much protection with the painted on rubber. Although there appears to be a 19" "winter wheel" made specially for them as well.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Woke up to snow in the Port this morning which was a surprise.
It had already started melting at 7 and the roads where a bit slushy. Had to pass a lady in a mini doing 30mph down the main road, which was basically just a wet road.