Jaguar F type ?

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
So went with him today, looked at a 2017 3.0 and I think a 2015 5.0 R
Having seen both I’d struggle to go for the 3.0, it felt a bit like buying a m-sport bmw rather than the m3

Looks much better from behind and sounded just lovely
94535B0D-A0C2-4CAC-BEC1-84C8429EB9A4.jpeg

Now, he just can’t get his head around needing the 5.0 or the power, honestly won’t be used in anger I’d say. It’s not the higher price putting him off. The 3.0 didn’t have full leather and seat wasn’t electric, just seemed a bit... non jaguar.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That 3.0 sounds a bit too basic, didn't know they made them in poverty spec like that.

A nicely speced 3.0 is still a jolly nice car to mooch about in. Just depends what he wants. They come as loaded as you want.

But nothing on this earth sounds as good as the R, that is true 😇 😁 Can be a bit much though if all he wants to do is mooch about.

Horses for courses and all that. M-sport/M3 is a great comparison. If all you wanted to do was mooch about would you really want an M3? Or would you not really be better off in a nicely speced 340i?

Last edited:

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
That 3.0 sounds a bit too basic, didn't know they made them like that. A nicely speced 3.0 is still a jolly nice car to mooch about in. Just depends what he wants.

But nothing on this earth sounds as good as the R, that is true 😇 😁 Can be a bit much though if all he wants to do is mooch about.

Horses for courses and all that. M-sport/M3 is a great comparison. If all you wanted to do was mooch about would you really want an M3? Or would you not really be better off in a nicely speced 340i?

It will be basic mooching, course it will get a squeeze but not anywhere near what the things capable of. But he’s also hoping for some resale value / less depreciation. For me that’s possibly another reason to go with the R. I could be way wrong, I’m just a much larger fan of the R back end, noise and imagine power too. For reference, he didn’t drive either. This was a quick look in person, just to either put the idea to death... or to bed. Wanted a sit in and a quick closer look as up to now hadn’t been up close and personal.

I told him at end of the day the 5.0 doesn’t need to be driven hard, can be driven just as handy as the 3.0. Just cause it’s on tap, doesn’t mean you have to use it. The R was also 4wd so ultimately a bit more stable, I guess.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
I like the 2.0 turbos but once you get into a 3litre they sound a bit crap, and then the same goes with the 5litre over the 3litre. I really like them though the RWD ones can be a bit tail happy. Driven a few 4wd ones and really like them. Sadly I've never driven a 5litre f type for much but have done in the sport and its mainly about noise in them, they are quick but do weigh alot. But the f type would be a different ball game being far lighter, but like you say just cause its there doesn't mean you have to use it.

Without the electric seats in the 3litre it would be a lower spec model, as most do come with electric now, half leather/alcantara/suede is a common enough thing though. One thing possibly is maintance the brake disks and pads would be a bit more on the 5litre, compared to the 3litre

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Just had a quick look, all options have at least leather/suede interior and adjustable seats. Maybe the 3.0 you looked at is some sort of rental/lease special? Definitely sounds poverty spec.

I think you should look at a few more 3.0. There are lots of different trim levels, both inside and out. As usual I guess.

Obviously you or I would go for the R :innocent:😁

I'm not convinced by the resale argument, lol. The 5.0 is still a pretty narrow niche car, it could be hard to find a buyer for it. The 3.0 is easier to live with for most people.

There's tax and insurance and fuel and all that to consider too.

Goes both ways as usual!

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Certainly, the dealer started the 3.0 and it just wasn’t for me... sounded like more or less nothing.

As for maintenance, if it done 1000 mile a year I be surprised. So buying a well sorted one should negate a lot. The R had 4 new well branded tyres, at 1200 quid, for example.
He’s hoping to strike gold and that one Shouldn depreciate much, I’ve told him to forget that idea. That no matter what model, it will likely sink to 20k and less.

Also told him to forget about it anyway, he celebrated his 70th earlier this year, it’s no fun in the bank.
The 3.0 seat thing was odd or maybe just odd to me. Back was electric, up and down on the base was electric. But back and forward for leg length was manual. Where as the 5.0 was all electric.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
I don't know about you, but I don't tend to ever adjust my seat forward and back. Manual seat adjust certainly wouldn't put me off a car.

Reading the above, may as well just pick the one that looks and sounds the nicest!

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
I don't know about you, but I don't tend to ever adjust my seat forward and back. Manual seat adjust certainly wouldn't put me off a car.

Reading the above, may as well just pick the one that looks and sounds the nicest!

Ye we discussed that on way home that sure it’s only adjusted once.
On other hand his 32 year old 911 has full electric, just expect a bit more perhaps than manual adjustment when spending 43k, however it’s not a big issue as you say. I’m likely trying to fault the 3.0 over the 5.0

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Just scanning an F-type forum page and:

"Performance seats were one of my must have options and have to say, additional to the great looks, I find them supremely comfortable, even touring to Italy - and don’t have multi-way. "

Sounds like Performance seats > Sports Seats.

Performance seats having stiffer bolsters and overall slimmer & lighter design. Hence probably why missing electric adjust if they were marketing them as lighter.
They really are stunning looking cars, and quite rare on the road too.

Get one bought!!!!

1567610212034.png

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It takes two seconds to make a manual adjustment.

A lifetime to fiddle around trying to find the right button, then waiting for the motors, then they step too far and you have to fiddle some more, etc.

Plus heavier, more to go wrong, etc.

And either way it's only once in a blue moon.

Unless you swap driver every day there's really no need for electric seats. And even then you really need full memory seats for that, not just power assisted.

But I'm a complete luddite :joy::joy::joy:

Heated seats is a must though!

Last edited:

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
It takes two seconds to make a manual adjustment.

A lifetime to fiddle around trying to find the right button, then waiting for the motors, then they step too far and you have to fiddle some more, etc.

Plus heavier, more to go wrong, etc.

And either way it's only once in a blue moon.

Unless you swap driver every day there's really no need for electric seats. And even then you really need full memory seats for that, not just power assisted.

But I'm a complete luddite :joy::joy::joy:

Heated seats is a must though!

Yep I get all that. I can’t imagine him going for the 3.0 as he’s happy to go down a year or 2 to save 10-12k, As for heated probably not needed, be summer use only. I shall leave it up to him now lol. He did seem right and impressed today with them.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
My neighbour used to work for Jag as a chassis development engineer and was based at the nurburgring test centre. His only advise was don't under an circumstances buy the V6. It's was just the v8 with two cylinders chopped off and they are no end of trouble. They kept blowing them up at the ring.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
My neighbour used to work for Jag as a chassis development engineer and was based at the nurburgring test centre. His only advise was don't under an circumstances buy the V6. It's was just the v8 with two cylinders chopped off and they are no end of trouble. They kept blowing them up at the ring.

As a current Powertrain engineer at JLR that’s not accurate

The V6/V8 do share a common block but the V6 has no major reliability issues and neither does the V8

That being said I would still buy the V8 as mentioned earlier in this thread

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The SVR is, the "normal" R is not. Though it might be an option on other options too, haven't checked recently.

Personally I'd prefer the rwd R, unless you absolutely have to have the biggest numbers for everything.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
The SVR is, the "normal" R is not. Though it might be an option on other options too, haven't checked recently.

Personally I'd prefer the rwd R, unless you absolutely have to have the biggest numbers for everything.

The R is now AWD only - it changed to AWD only around 2016.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I'm sure it's more stable in the real world, just like a Porsche Turbo is for most on real roads than something like a GT3.

But which is more fun? Not all about numbers.

Then again I'm a complete luddite and a grumpy old such and such 😇 😅

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I'm sure it's more stable in the real world, just like a Porsche Turbo is for most on real roads than something like a GT3.

But which is more fun? Not all about numbers.

Then again I'm a complete luddite and a grumpy old such and such 😇 😅

I find the AWD more fun because it doesn’t feel as on edge all the time so you can push that bit harder

However I have always enjoyed driving AWD cars quickly so my opinion is a bit biased in that respect

Good news is that there is a choice albeit dictated by age

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Out to Scarborough and lifted this 3.0 S model this morning from a dealer
Clicked 30k miles just as rolled into the Cairnyan terminal.
Pap seems happy although I’ve done all the driving lol. Seems sharp enough and really nice to drive, 380bhp I think. It’s no 5.0 but it’s plenty for a 70 year old to enjoy lol. Very clean car

B3DE4195-DDA9-4FA4-8717-FFDBFF07382A.jpeg

dave b

RMS Regular
Drives
Panny Turbo
That's beaut bud
Is the S 380 bhp and the non S 340 bhp but both are supercharged?