Jaguar XE Road Test

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
On the RMS Blog: In the land of the executive diesel saloon, there was only one king - Audi. Incarnation after incarnation of the A4 rolled off the production lines and out of showrooms as quick as Ingolstadt could screw the things together. However, there's all new competition. RMS goes coastal and finds out that the Jaguar XE is very good indeed.
(Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
There is no doubt that the XE is a great car, it sets the bar high in the segment. But to say Audi was the yardstick - I'm fairly sure the latest generation 3-series has the market for 2 litre diesels licked. The new C-class can't be far behind either. I'd pop the A4 in 3rd place!

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I'd have the Jag pitched against the 5 series myself more so than the 3 or A4. Nice cars though, JLR have came on a fair bit the last few years

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I'd have the Jag pitched against the 5 series myself more so than the 3 or A4. Nice cars though, JLR have came on a fair bit the last few years
That's surely XF territory, the XE is a smaller car. [Edit - fairly sure XE, XF and F-pace share the same platform]

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
So this is just a small XE then ? Sorry my mistake, be interesting to see if it can win anyone away from the Audi BMW brand name

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
I think with the V6 petrol engine it would be the best of them all, the handling of this XE was shockingly great !!!

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Glad to see this car getting great reviews, it is a brilliant car and was great to be involved in the final stages of its development
There was a few gripes but nothing too bad at all

1. A little cramped inside (esp the rear)
2. Diesel engine was very noisy

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
On the RMS Blog: In the land of the executive diesel saloon, there was only one king - Audi. Incarnation after incarnation of the A4 rolled off the production lines and out of showrooms as quick as Ingolstadt could screw the things together. However, there's all new competition. RMS goes coastal and finds out that the Jaguar XE is very good indeed.
(Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

Did @Brennan write this as Mercedes might have something to say about it...

The UK's top 10 best selling cars | carwow

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Two things we are aware of - the sweeping roofline does impact the space in the rear.
The roofline isn't a bad issue as such but it really isn't a car for four adults more a 2 seater used for golfing with the split fold rear seat option and then the 3 piece suit brigade munching 50k a year in.

the first time i got into it after it was delievred, the seat was forward and up high, i jumped in and thumped my head so hard on the roof my eyes filled up pmsl

Cess

RMS Staff
@andy_gdon That's November 2015 UK data. The Merc didn't feature in the end of year top 10 list for the UK. A4 sells very strongly in NI and dominates. I know you didn't like yours, but it doesn't stop it being popular.

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
@andy_gdon That's November 2015 UK data. The Merc didn't feature in the end of year top 10 list for the UK. A4 sells very strongly in NI and dominates. I know you didn't like yours, but it doesn't stop it being popular.

There's no doubt it sells very well. I was not referring to my personal experience, nor did I question its popularity but I was wondering what qualified the statement I highlighted?

It would be interesting to see which brand sold most in NI...the A4 or 3 series. I was shocked to see the merc higher than both the Audi and BMW tbh, hence why I quoted it. Probably just echoing a comment made above by cooper actually.

Is the jag still a mondeo underneath?

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
There's no doubt it sells very well. I was not referring to my personal experience, nor did I question its popularity but I was wondering what qualified the statement I highlighted?

It would be interesting to see which brand sold most in NI...the A4 or 3 series. I was shocked to see the merc higher than both the Audi and BMW tbh, hence why I quoted it. Probably just echoing a comment made above by cooper actually.

I will do some digging in my press areas for NI sales figures to see just what sells best by the figures but i guess Audi, BMW, Merc then the other higher end brands like the Jag

I don't think they are a Mondeo anymore but @mk2driver will confirm i am sure

I had the brand new A4 S-Line 190 S Tronic for a week shortly after this car and the Audi is more suited for family life and was a bit more modern in its spec however lacked the handling of the Jaguar and that thinking outside the box appeal

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
I will do some digging in my press areas for NI sales figures to see just what sells best by the figures but i guess Audi, BMW, Merc then the other higher end brands like the Jag

I don't think they are a Mondeo anymore but @mk2driver will confirm i am sure

I had the brand new A4 S-Line 190 S Tronic for a week shortly after this car and the Audi is more suited for family life and was a bit more modern in its spec however lacked the handling of the Jaguar and that thinking outside the box appeal

I could only find the top 10 from last year.

10 best selling cars in Northern Ireland 2015 - where is your Qashqai, Captur or Polo in the list? - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Cess

RMS Staff
I'm really not sure what you are trying to prove or disprove with sales figures. But for clarity, the piece doesn't say that the A4 is the best selling executive saloon.

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
I'm really not sure what you are trying to prove or disprove with sales figures. But for clarity, the piece doesn't say that the A4 is the best selling executive saloon.

Just enquiring about the statement I highlighted and if it could possibly be substantiated.

I merely echoed what Cooper had written with some figures to match.

I'm not sure why you appear to be taking it so personally?! I'm glad I had you here to provide some clarity (y)

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
I merely echoed what Cooper had written with some figures to match.

Trust @Cooper to stir the pot...

57533076.jpg

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA

No not even close. It's built from an all new aluminium architecture that also is the basis of the new XF and F-Pace.

That doesn't mean that all 3 of these are exactly the same car underneath but they share the same basic underpinnings adapted for each use

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
No not even close. It's built from an all new aluminium architecture that also is the basis of the new XF and F-Pace.

That doesn't mean that all 3 of these are exactly the same car underneath but they share the same basic underpinnings adapted for each use

It looks class. Love the new F-Pace!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.