JDM Car Culture 2019

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
As I think I have already mentioned, I thought it was a great show, was a nice variety of cars and I enjoyed taking to some of the owners (there are more I would have liked to talk to but didn't have time or couldn't find them) I was there from 10:30 until 18:30 and I didn't get bored once so something has to be right. So glad I loaded my car in on the Saturday though.

I'm sure its been brought up already but would be good to make sure its adjusted for next year and that is that there wasn't enough space for the amount of people there to watch the drifting, need more viewing area or more grandstand seating for a crowd that size.

Beat88

RMS Regular
Although there was some great cars there on the day i honestly think the show is pretty crap. The first two were good but these last two at the eikon have been pretty forgetful tbh. Personally i only think it has about another year before its done for good.

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
2019-07-07 242.jpg

JCC report is now live. Those who want to waste a few minutes and read about it and see more pics, click here:

Thanks for looking

Beat88

RMS Regular
What are you expecting? Where do you think it should improve?

Hard to really put my finger on it mate.think the pricing for entry and food was very high and that seemed to be what a lot of people seemed to feel too.The outside area wasnt as well arranged as the year before with everyone parked on the stones. The amount of dust as a result had people constantly cleaning their cars. I wish i had of just entered my car outside again because the crack was at least half decent out there. Like i said the first two were really good but just feel its starting to run its course

sauce

RMS Regular
OP
sauce
Drives
tdi golf
Hard to really put my finger on it mate.think the pricing for entry and food was very high and that seemed to be what a lot of people seemed to feel too.The outside area wasnt as well arranged as the year before with everyone parked on the stones. The amount of dust as a result had people constantly cleaning their cars. I wish i had of just entered my car outside again because the crack was at least half decent out there. Like i said the first two were really good but just feel its starting to run its course

Food pricing nothing to do with me.

Cars on stones or a massive blank area ?

Pricing that’s up to you and your personal opinion fact of matter is if it wasn’t priced accordingly I simply would not of broke even.

First 2 shows had less cars ??

Dubshed is running 10 years with more or less same format.

I don’t know what you expect in Northern Ireland for a car event. But we have noticed a large increase in southern attendees and entries so with or without support we will try keep it going until like you say .. runs it’s course

Beat88

RMS Regular
Food pricing nothing to do with me.

Cars on stones or a massive blank area ?

Pricing that’s up to you and your personal opinion fact of matter is if it wasn’t priced accordingly I simply would not of broke even.

First 2 shows had less cars ??

Dubshed is running 10 years with more or less same format.

I don’t know what you expect in Northern Ireland for a car event. But we have noticed a large increase in southern attendees and entries so with or without support we will try keep it going until like you say .. runs it’s course

Didnt say the pricing of the food was up to you im just talking about how if felt the event was overall but i would say the vast majority would agree that a bacon and sausage bap with a bottle of water being £7.50 is a quite a lot lol

Never said about a massive blank area either.the way the cars were positioned at the front the year before was a hell of a lot better.

First two shows might of had less cars but overall i found them both a lot more enjoyable. Cant comment on dubshed as i have never been

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Sounds like you would prefer cars and coffee, buddy. As for the price of the food, it's the same for any event held at the Eikon because it's either their own caterers or what the burger vans feel like charging.

As for Dubshed, that's what prompted me to enter my own car. I was walking around the main hall looking at early 90s VWs with rust on them and thinking "how did this end up in a hall? “ and then realised I have nicer sitting in my garage.

Point being, while there is a good mix of cars at dubshed, there is also some absolute heaps there too. Maybe intentional, dunno. Not really into German diesel saloon lifestyle™. I just thought the mix of cars there was spot on (first one I went to at the Titanic Ex had too many R35s but I just prefer older stuff) without it favouring too many marques over the other.

I also hope it keeps the format it has at the moment. It was a nice chilled day out, good to see folks we hadn't seen for a while and overall it was a success in my book. Putting on car shows like this one and dubshed aren't easy - it's been well documented on here and elsewhere, the effort, time and money needed to undertake something like this.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I pretty much agree with what Reinis said in his show report:

"As always the show itself gets judged; judged by people who attended, and even by ones that didn't. Let me put this straight - car shows are what you make of them. If you were bored – you were at the wrong show or with the wrong company. You didn’t think the quality was good enough – well a familiarisation with the subject should be carried out as the level of cars present was outstanding. Do you believe the entry fee was too high? Try organising one, alternatively events like cars and coffee are typically free, so it may be the better option then for you. JCC was an amazing event and every single person involved that made it happen deserves a big high five."

I had a good time because I found some cars I thought were really cool and it most cases was able to chat with the owner about them. Rest of the time I enjoyed the drifting action. Its a pretty small country so I feel the amount of decent cars that turned up was good given what is available here.

Beat88

RMS Regular
I pretty much agree with what Reinis said in his show report:

"As always the show itself gets judged; judged by people who attended, and even by ones that didn't. Let me put this straight - car shows are what you make of them. If you were bored – you were at the wrong show or with the wrong company. You didn’t think the quality was good enough – well a familiarisation with the subject should be carried out as the level of cars present was outstanding. Do you believe the entry fee was too high? Try organising one, alternatively events like cars and coffee are typically free, so it may be the better option then for you. JCC was an amazing event and every single person involved that made it happen deserves a big high five."

I had a good time because I found some cars I thought were really cool and it most cases was able to chat with the owner about them. Rest of the time I enjoyed the drifting action. Its a pretty small country so I feel the amount of decent cars that turned up was good given what is available here.

Gaz86

RMS Regular

If you had any idea what costs are involved in running a large scale event in the countries largest exhibition centre perhaps you would understand. Personally speaking I don't think £20 was extortionate at all. You don't get much for £20 these days, you'll scarely come out of the cinema with change out of a score note. It's the same everywhere, not really sure what you were expecting. Considering the number and quality of cars in attendance both outdoors and indoors, to see each one is mere pence! Add that to the drifting etc there was actually plenty on offer for the price.

Last edited:

Beat88

RMS Regular
So because i thought the overall price of the show was a bit excessive i would be better going to more cars and coffee events cause they are free?love that logic lol.i normally am with the same people each year and get talking to quite a few at it but my general thoughts as with a lot of ones i spoke with about it after was it just feels exactly the same every year. Thats not to say the quality of cars wasnt of a high standard because the majority were but my opinion was that its not really a must go to event like it was previously.hope i dont hurt to many peoples feelings with what im saying 😁

Gaz86

RMS Regular
You're entitled to your opinion as we all are. Car shows generally are the same every year, it's a day out and a bit of craic with mates for most people. What more would you like to see? Spare a thought for the organisers that put a lot of time, effort, stress and most of all MONEY into making the thing happen in the first place. It's no easy task

Beat88

RMS Regular
I have mentioned things above that i think could be better but the main thing is not being complacent and try to mix it up a bit every year. I can imagine exactly what goes into it but at the same time i have no doubt the organisers do very well out of it each year so i cant say im too sympathetic.

Last edited:

Beat88

RMS Regular
I have mentioned things above that i think could be better but the main thing is not being complacent and try to mix it up a bit every year. I can imagine exactly what goes into it but at the same time i have no doubt the organisers do very well out of it each year so i cant say im too sympathetic.

sauce

RMS Regular
OP
sauce
Drives
tdi golf
Personal note ..

2018 I didn’t get out the other end in fact was in red quite a lot.. that said I worked stupid hours over time from Christmas to near Easter to recoup losses and start from scratch. I was very lucky for drift games to come in on it with me this year and share the financial burden.
It all came down to calculated risk.
Factors being ..
Overall costs
Attractions
Marketing ability
Marketing budget
Show popularity.

All factors considered I believed the popularity of the event was something to build on so we embarked on the 50/50 venture.

If it wasn’t for a financial Partner I would of been forced to throw in towel.

I you believe that a show costing price of a house is vastly profitable you are sadly mistaken. If I worked out hours put in alone I’d be on like £3 hour..

New strategy for 2020 im trying to embark is to run a few satellite motorsport events to help bring coin to the pot to keep the ship afloat.

Why do it ??
Simple answer .. I’m expected to

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
I think it was one of the best shows I've been to. No negatives really.

Would have liked a bit more viewing space around the drift area, that's about it.

I'm more into Jap cars so I'm much happier paying the £20 for this opposed to £20 for Dubshed.

Keep up the good work & don't be disheartened.(y)