Jeep/estate car wanted

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
CT177 plated to 3500kg? No estate car or smaller SUV is going to legally tow that, will need to be a proper 4x4 for the job.

As long as you're within the cars legal limit, the plated weight doesn't matter so much. Some trailers are heavier than others too which soaks up some of your limit, CT177 is fairly heavy at 805kg already.

I bought an A6 Allroad last year with towing in mind. It has about the highest rating of any car I could find at 2500kg. As you say, it's mostly jeeps or a few vans that will see higher ratings. But even a lot of vans are only rated for a couple of ton too.
Most cars around 2000kgs, maybe 2100kgs was their limit

Many will be perfectly fine towing....but to keep within the rules is a different matter, however many interpretations of the rules there are.

c_rad

RMS Regular
2007 Honda CRV 2.2CDTi
MOT October 2022

Can PM pics if interested. Only had a set of front pads fitted before Christmas. Bought to get me to work and back, selling as I've bought another car.

Wont be expensive.

jordan 375

RMS Regular
OP
jordan 375
Drives
Honda
2007 Honda CRV 2.2CDTi
MOT October 2022

Can PM pics if interested. Only had a set of front pads fitted before Christmas. Bought to get me to work and back, selling as I've bought another car.

Wont be expensive.
Fire me over a few details bud,little higher miles than I'd like but be interested anyway

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Their website says base is 805kg.

Similar A4 Brian James is around 700kg

Small vans will usually have a pretty low towing weight.
I’m sure an s2000 with fuel etc will push it over 2 tons.

Don’t know about smaller vans but I know most transit size vans can tow about 2 tons.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
S2000 kerb weight is listed as 1274kg.. So yep, CT177 and a standard S2000 would be over 2 ton.

A quick google on say a popular VW Caddy, max towing on them seems to be around 1500kg. Pug Partner 1100kg

An awful lot out there towing just do so regardless of legal limits etc. Even a lot of guys in recovery trucks, usually the transit style conversions with a tilt/bed on the back, single wheel axle., they have very low load ratings too. But you see them well loaded up a lot of the time.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
S2000 kerb weight is listed as 1274kg.. So yep, CT177 and a standard S2000 would be over 2 ton.

A quick google on say a popular VW Caddy, max towing on them seems to be around 1500kg. Pug Partner 1100kg

An awful lot out there towing just do so regardless of legal limits etc. Even a lot of guys in recovery trucks, usually the transit style conversions with a tilt/bed on the back, single wheel axle., they have very low load ratings too. But you see them well loaded up a lot of the time.
You see a run of posts of road policing ni of them boys stopped and done for being overloaded every so often.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
You see a run of posts of road policing ni of them boys stopped and done for being overloaded every so often.

I see plenty of posts of this on the mainland from motorway police etc...never so much here really

A lot of those single wheel recovery trucks can only lift around 1500kg, which pretty much rules out a lot of modern cars as they just get heavier and heavier.

When it comes to towing EV's, that'll be another can of works, they'll need the full blown 3.5t limit !