Just found out we bought ex hire car

bill

Banned
Just found out today from a friend that is a dealer and ran a history check on the car we bought that its an ex hire company car he only did saying did you ask was it an ex hire car and it was.

The dealer has then taken it back put it in there name and said it was one of there Demonstrators it now has 2 owners and only 10000 miles and we will be the third owner.
Can they do this we would not have bought the car knowing it had been driven all over the place most likely hard as a hire car as most likely they are.

I am going to call the dealer in the morning but we have flights/hotel and the ferry booked and are going to stay over night for a wee trip.
Now where do i stand i remember reading something last year that dealers must tell you if the car is ex fleet or hire i know Arnold Clark puts it at the bottom of the page.

Can i pull out of the deal we started it online but went over to finish it and test drove the car there. Am i just being a big woman and worrying about nothing.

The car was £2000 below same car here and has 18 months dealer warranty but if the gear box or clutch is fooked that could end up costing the £2k in the end.
You know what its like when you buy a car you always worry about something. It was even 0% interest on the loan.

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Funnily I’d agree, had a few and never felt the need to drive one hard at all, just didn’t care where I parked it was all!

bill

Banned
OP
bill
I know it could be just pre sale jitters and could find out tomorrow it was owned by a old granny that drove it everywhere in first gear. I think i would rather it was trashed a bit because it will be my wife that drives the car and she would not be doing any mad driving i hope. Just they had it up as an ex demo and i notice that has been removed from the advert.

bill

Banned
OP
bill
Yeah i have had a couple of hire cars over last year and had full insurance and didnt drive them like i stole them.
Wouldnt want to go back and have to fill in all the paperwork for the damage.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I get them paid for with full coverage and have no respect for them at all really, I also see how all the foreign lads I work with at times drive them and nope wouldn't be for me

Should have ran all the checks 1st really.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Seems a bit shady from the dealer? There's a couple of threads on pistonheads about this, worth a look.

Wouldn't knowingly buy an ex hire car myself unless it was really cheap. Hire cars get sent on.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
18 months warranty and 2 grand cheaper, I’d buy it. Any car could give bucket loads of hassle even brand new within 18 month. If your happy with the cars condition I’d carry on with the deal.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
18 month Arnold Clark warranty, or manufacturer? If the former have you checked it can be used over here?

Does a dealer have to declare if it’s a hire car?

bill

Banned
OP
bill
@Lyons it is the reminder of the manufacturers warranty the car was first registered in March 2018.

I found this on Auto Express website about hire cars being sold on with a quick search this morning Hire car .

surely a Nissan manufacturers warranty car be used anywhere in Europe well at the minute.

Not Arnold Clark its Bristol street motors.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
If it’s still under Nissan warranty which it should be if it’s been serviced correctly it’ll be fine. Look how many cars are sold on after leases and company car schemes, they are probably driven the same as hire cars, if not worse as they are never actually owned by the person.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
If it’s still under Nissan warranty which it should be if it’s been serviced correctly it’ll be fine. Look how many cars are sold on after leases and company car schemes, they are probably driven the same as hire cars, if not worse as they are never actually owned by the person.

I can confirm this is also correct 😂

bill

Banned
OP
bill
I only used this company because my friend who lives in Glasgow buys all his cars from them and says there great for after care.
I went and looked at the car and drove it there where no dents one wheel had a bit of kerbing and i was told it was being repaired i dont know if they will.
I suppose if my friend hadnt done this hpi check i would be happy with the car and as long as its warranty can be used here then it should be a good deal.
Its the same as this car Nisan Micra

bill

Banned
OP
bill
With a SD at the start its a Glasgow plate.
  • SD - Scotland: Glasgow
you can check here UK plates

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I guess it's like finding out a week before the wedding that your fiance had been tag teamed by the local sports club before you met her. Will always be at the back of your mind and you've no idea what the future fall out will be.

Is it £2k cheaper because it was a hire car? Are there no others you could look at at the same price? £2k on a £10k is a right bit, might be worth going for provided the fact it was previously a hire car doesn't bother you, it's been serviced properly, etc, etc.

bill

Banned
OP
bill
Should have ran all the checks 1st really.
I asked how many owners His words where one owner former Demonstrator it was the way he worded it when i think about it what he really said was one owner before them and since May they have used it as a Demonstrator.

bill

Banned
OP
bill
The main reason i have posted this is to help others not fall for the same thing i know some people would be happy and work away at it.
My wife said what does that mean will it be crap i said any second hand car even 2 months old can be crap.
She said i dont care but do you think we could get free mats and full tank of fuel she is not that daft.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Haven't read all the comments but my thoughts are, as far as selling the car is concerned, it is fit for purpose, if it belonged to an 17YO who did rag the life out of it the dealer wouldn't be allowed to tell you, so what odds. It's been properly prep'd and shows no faults (I assume)

Many years ago I worked in a Citroen Dealers where a Saxo was given to an event Citroen UK was running, the car was brand new, less than 10 miles on the clock, it was used for auto test type event not to mention stunt driving, up on 2 wheels, parking with the hand brake.

When it was returned to the dealer the manager fought with Citroen to pay for new like for like tyres, the car had less than 50 miles on the clock at this point and was sold as ex demo.

MarkP

RMS Regular
Drives
zafira :-(
Dealers buy their cars from fleet auctions anyway so if mileage is correct and car is in good condition I wouldn't worry.
Dealer saying it's an ex demo and then removing it would have me looking discount for their lies though.