Just found out we bought ex hire car

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
So i got a email from the dealer this morning i dont understand it lol he said the same does anyone here understand.

I have spoke to my manager to get to the bottom of this. So overall the car has been used as a courtesy car and only ever with our company the car has never ever left our premises to another owner. We register the cars to ourself first and then when we decide to use them as courtesy car we sell them to a lease company so we can then lease the cars through them because we are not a lender or broker we are just the branch. Hope this makes sense to yourself, if it doesn’t i can get my manager to explain because it took me a while to understand as well.

Sounds like they use the car is used as a demo initially, then when the mileage gets too high (think its approx 5-10k in some branches) they sell it to a lease company (prob local and the car never leaves the car park, just a change in v5 title and money) then they lease it back to continue to use it as a customer courtesy car for cars in for service etc?

If you are saving 2k and 18 month warranty I'd be happy with it. Sounds like a sales guy got wires crosses (or is pretty dim) and the sales admin team have misunderstood and therefore mis advertised it.

But... this is just my understanding of the process and the message above. I was in car sales for a few years

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
So i got a email from the dealer this morning i dont understand it lol he said the same does anyone here understand.

I have spoke to my manager to get to the bottom of this. So overall the car has been used as a courtesy car and only ever with our company the car has never ever left our premises to another owner. We register the cars to ourself first and then when we decide to use them as courtesy car we sell them to a lease company so we can then lease the cars through them because we are not a lender or broker we are just the branch. Hope this makes sense to yourself, if it doesn’t i can get my manager to explain because it took me a while to understand as well.

Sounds to me they register the cars to themselves, probably to meet manufactures sales targets. Then they sell the car to a leasing company then lease the cars back and use them as courtesy cars

bill

Banned
OP
bill
Spoke to a friend that is a dealer its all to do with Mr VAT man
He says
Yea lease them to get the Vat back every month on the payment.

So not a rental as such, a courtesy car makes sense

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
I don't quite understand why people get so hung up on a car being ex-rental or ex-lease.
I would image the majority of those are actually better looked after than the 'family owned' cars that have been abused daily by their 17/18 year old son in the car parks.

The background of the car is irrelevant - if your happy with the car, the price, service history etc, why does it matter who owned it before?

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
Honestly @bill I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the fresh stuff in the used car market these days will either be ex rental or lease. They're usually well looked after anyway and are still under manufacturer warranty so you shouldn't have any issues. As long as you are happy with the condition of the car and the service history I'd say you'll be fine :grinning:

bill

Banned
OP
bill
@veedubnoodle I am ok with it the going to give me a headed letter say the car was only owned by there company i can show that if selling private.
Plus asked for them to stick a set of 17s on free of charge lol no chance of that.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
jeeez, just go and buy the thing, who cares if the queen owned it before hand. You viewed it, drove it, and were happy, what else is there to it? You cant predict what will break and when on any car, they are all a lottery. You have a warranty in place too, for any hiccups.

bill

Banned
OP
bill
@dddrrift i am please dont tell any of my friends the Queen owned it they might burn it out lol
Yes until my friend said about it i thought it was a great deal even with 2 owners its still a great deal,
Just hoping they stick some matts in to keep me happy.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
@bill Hope they throw in some mats for you :grinning:

mats.jpg

driven

RMS Regular
Drives
Mondy ST220 BMW
So basically the way I understand that email is like this I'll use Arnold shark as an example, basically car comes into Arnold Clark dealer as stock, they then sell it to Arnold Clark hire at the same branch who hire said car out once finished gets re purchased by said dealership and returned to forecourt stock, its actually quite common

bill

Banned
OP
bill
Thanks to everyone that helped with advice even @da.murf picked the car up yesterday its for the wife hopefully to help pass her test.
I am now on the look out for a cheap sporty automatic if there is such a thing.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Thanks to everyone that helped with advice even @da.murf picked the car up yesterday its for the wife hopefully to help pass her test.
I am now on the look out for a cheap sporty automatic if there is such a thing.
Sporty and automatic. You’ll have to make a compromise there I’m afraid 😬.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Sporty and automatic. You’ll have to make a compromise there I’m afraid 😬.
depends on your definition of sporty but modern autos are quite good and I would argue allow for quicker progress in most driving scenarios. Golf GTI DSG, 135i 8sp auto,

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
You’re quer and hilarious alright! 😛 I thought it was going to turn into a discussion about cars and their relative merits on a car forum but nope. Surprised you didn’t slide in a jibe about NI being a backward hole and it’s all the fault of solicitors!
It’s 31 degrees here and I’m fat there’s time yet.