Just had to get a grinder spark removed from my eye

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I got a grinder/welding spark in my eye last night and thought it would eventually work its own way out. However after reading up on the internet I decided to go to the Hospital to get it out.

If this ever happens to you ensure you go to A&E ASAP because the tiny spec of metal will rust in your eye and cause further problems. Mine hadn't rusted so it was just a case of getting it out (which isn't a very nice experience so I'll leave out that detail).

I am certainly not Mr H&S but from now on I'll be wearing goggles and a safety visor because I never want to have go through that again!

You have been warned!!

gribby1

RMS Regular
Drives
vauxhall vectra
had it myself a few years back not a nice experience whatsoever

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
It happens quite a lot according to the woman in the hospital and they even had a room dedicated to it in A&E.

Tinners

RMS Regular
Drives
Forester S Turbo
Nasty! I got asked the other day before an MRI if this had ever happened..dont even want to know what would happen in that situation!

Doovde

Banned
Drives
Nothing ford/VAG
Had this a few times myself.

My uncle got a spark stuck in his eye thought nothing off it and went to bed, long story short, he's now got a glass eye as the metal tore his eye to pieces when sleeping.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Wouldn't be going to craigavon, cousin of mine went in year's ago with the same thing, they scratched his retina (sp) trying to get it out several time's and then sent him onto the royal till fix him up.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
It happens at least 4 people a week in the hospital I work, if it's any consolation it's quite fun taking them out, one of the better tasks in A&E anyway.
If anyone ever mentions MRI scanning any part of you in the future be sure to tell them this happened to you. They'll X ray your head to make sure 100% there are no fragments left. MRI is a massively powerful magnet, so I'm sure I wont need to explain much further why you don't want to go through one with a ferrous fragment in your eye!!!

longchamps

RMS Regular
Drives
mx5 rs
Thats the worst when you think it will maybe go away and you leave it over night then the next morning the pain is a lot worse every movement of your eye scratchs the metal about and it will have started to rust yep ive been in quite a few times the drive over to hospital is quite tricky too.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Hutchy do you work in A+E? Out of interest if you do, which hosp you in atm?

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Wouldn't be going to craigavon, cousin of mine went in year's ago with the same thing, they scratched his retina (sp) trying to get it out several time's and then sent him onto the royal till fix him up.

That's where I went and didn't have a problem - was in and out in under an hour. I was well pleased.

I guess it depends on who does it though.

I have to put eye drops in now for days and that's something I can't do because my eyes are so sensitive. I can't even open them under water.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Hutchy do you work in A+E? Out of interest if you do, which hosp you in atm?
I'd be down in A&E one week in 12 when I'm on acute medical admissions, not down there full time (thankfully)
Up in Altnagelvin for a few more months then back down this direction somewhere undecided as yet!
Did you ever sort out your medical device thing for your project?

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
That's where I went and didn't have a problem - was in and out in under an hour. I was well pleased.

I guess it depends on who does it though.

I have to put eye drops in now for days and that's something I can't do because my eyes are so sensitive. I can't even open them under water.
If you really struggle, tilt your head back and drop them in to the inner corner of your eye (the one by your nose) even if your eye is closed gently, it'll spread out reasonably when you open and blink a few times.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Thats mad, lucky you got it out in time though.

Scares me the thought of losing an eye!! Wear goggles all the time when cutting,grinding and even strimming the grass, even though she says i look like a tit :p Only takes a second for something to be thrown in there at a great rate of knots

sam_9n

RMS Regular
very lucky indeed (y)

we have to wear goggles for PPE as standard issue, im always really conscious of the sparks so always wear a visor were half of my colleagues don't, best be safe than sorry i suppose

scoobyman

RMS Regular
Drives
skyline
[ame=http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=43a_1305482017]LiveLeak.com - How to uses a grinder not[/ame]

Ace_vaux

RMS Regular
Drives
Mustang
I've had four eye injuries during work and twice was wearing glasses.

Once was wood dust blew out from a hole and ended up scratching my cornea, twice dus off a site in it and once metal.

Not fun except the patch ;)

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Did you get the big needle in the eye to freeze it to allow them to do the extraction?

I went through all that a couple years ago when I got wet 60n concrete in the eye. The lime in the concrete was burning away at a serious rate, and had I not got it all removed when I did (within an hour thanks to a great eye hospital in London, where I was working at the time), I probably would have lost the eye according to the professionals...

It was tinted safety glasses every day after that, for sure.

Definitely not a nice experience...

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
No - they have an eye drop formula that they just squirt in to numb the eye. Even that took about 6 goes though because my eye is so sensitive.

Sounds like I got off lightly compared to others! Still I wouldn't want to have to do it again!

I wear glasses all the time so I never bother with goggles/visor etc but from now on I'm gonna have my glasses, then goggles and then the visor.

Near took my thumb off with the grinder last week as well when it kicked back.

I think the campervan I was working on both times is cursed or something.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Pretty stupid grinding with no goggles...

As I said above I wear glasses so this gives you a sense of protection which is usually the case but I don't know how this one got past.

Although from now on it'll be goggles or not at all.

The woman in the hospital said she has even treated people who were wearing eye protection.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Pretty stupid grinding with no goggles...

I'd actually say pretty stupid grinding with goggles. Full face shield at a minimum.

Most goggles people use arent even suited to the job in hand anyway.

A full face shield is actually very cheap and more comfortable than goggles anyway.

Buy a few of them and just have them sitting about the workshop, then there really is no excuse not to use them. Full shield is also handy working underneath cars etc, so you dont get a face full of dirt

Some goggles may protect your eyes a bit, but there is more than your eyes that get get damaged from a grinder or debris that may fly off from it.

pedenjohn

RMS Regular
Yea, it's happened me several times, even with safety glasses! The whole needle to pick it out business is unpleasant.... Took 4 of them to hold me down one time!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.