Just In from England: A Rite of Passage

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Early for the ferry once so went to Portpatrick for a fish supper. Wee Saxo VTS decided to go full big bore sports exhaust - ie break in two - on the way back to the ferry. Had to tie up the mid section with my laces to get on the ferry.

The long line inscribed on the road to the port was entirely coincidental.

RevT

RMS Regular
I be over regular enough buying things. It’s good craic and all but by jesus I hate the traffic over there. Some of the roads I’ve been on when I’m over would make our back roads seem like motorways. 😂

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
I'll never forget the boat home after the last excursion to England.

Took the wife with me, worst decision ever. The sea was that rough it was the worst experience I've ever had. The queue for the toilets was massive due to everybody being sick, the slushing of vomit in the toilets all over the floors and up the walls too. Feel sick even thinking about it.

Rang my dad who's a lorry driver and on the boats all his life, he was no help just continued to laugh his head off down the phone for 5minutes.
He finally got round to telling us to lie on our sides and low n behold the rest of the journey was fine

Previous to that went to Edinburgh to buy a jetta, all went smoothly untill we tried to find a bank open on a Saturday as we only had NI money with us and belfast airport exchange looking £450 to change to English money

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4

Took the wife with me, worst decision ever. The sea was that rough it was the worst experience I've ever had. The queue for the toilets was massive due to everybody being sick, the slushing of vomit in the toilets all over the floors and up the walls too. Feel sick even thinking about it.

Rang my dad who's a lorry driver and on the boats all his life, he was no help just continued to laugh his head off down the phone for 5minutes.
He finally got round to telling us to lie on our sides and low n behold the rest of the journey was fine

Previous to that went to Edinburgh to buy a jetta, all went smoothly untill we tried to find a bank open on a Saturday as we only had NI money with us and belfast airport exchange looking £450 to change to English money
If you're ever in that position again, or anyone else - go as central in the vessel as you can, midway between port and stbd (left and right) and Fore and Aft. That will minimise the movement, though being high up in the ferries - you'll still get subjected to roll a bit, but the pitching around the centre of the vessel will be all but cancelled out. If the seas are particularly rough, you'll be subjected to heave as the vessel rides up and down the swell or waves - though this should be offset by the size of the ferry.

Try being on a vessel that is only 70m long and 20 wide in 8 metre seas - frig - that thing bucks like billy-oh!!

Dunno how the fishermen do it in a vessel that is only 20m long and 7-8 wide - they really are on a non-stop rollercoaster!

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
If you're ever in that position again, or anyone else - go as central in the vessel as you can, midway between port and stbd (left and right) and Fore and Aft. That will minimise the movement, though being high up in the ferries - you'll still get subjected to roll a bit, but the pitching around the centre of the vessel will be all but cancelled out. If the seas are particularly rough, you'll be subjected to heave as the vessel rides up and down the swell or waves - though this should be offset by the size of the ferry.

Try being on a vessel that is only 70m long and 20 wide in 8 metre seas - frig - that thing bucks like billy-oh!!

Dunno how the fishermen do it in a vessel that is only 20m long and 7-8 wide - they really are on a non-stop rollercoaster!
I get woozy on the Strangford ferry as if it was Bigwavemaster1 😂

KevM

RMS Regular
I had a rough enough crossing myself, but I have done that much VR gaming over the past few years, that I was immune to sickness. I even managed a couple of Pork belly Bao buns when it was at its worst! 😄

PXL_20230312_233937065~2.jpg

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack

Worst boat trip I had back from England, I honestly thought we were going to sink. We could hear plates etc smashing in the kitchen every time the boat lunged off a wave. One guy (either ambitious or stupid) had just collected his chicken curry and drink from the restaurant and was trying to walk across the floor with the tray, it ended up all over him.

Q.S Gav

RMS Regular
Them big ships are grand.
I have crossed over to Scotland several times on a rigid inflatable boat (RIB) and after getting battered for 2/3 hours have had to crawl off the other side on my hands and knees.

Dave..

RMS Regular
Them big ships are grand.
I have crossed over to Scotland several times on a rigid inflatable boat (RIB) and after getting battered for 2/3 hours have had to crawl off the other side on my hands and knees.
I remember doing 30 miles off Malin in an Offshore 105 and wearing a dry suit on the way out. Not sure how I was able to dive when we reached the wreck. The wind was gusting F5.
And half the guys were pucking their guts up.
Very unpleasant.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
If anyone wants a really nice drive on the way to the ferry and aren’t worried about adding 2 hours to their journey then I have a great route. It takes you through the Yorkshire Dales and the Pennies. Amazing scenery, beautiful villages, little traffic, no speed cameras and epic roads.

Set your sat nav for Settle. And then enter these stops.
1. Settle
2. Hawes
3. Tan Hill Inn
4. Kirkby Stephen
5. Middleton-in-Teedale
6. Alston
7. Melmerby
8. Carlisle

I got this route from a guy I follow on Instagram;

Login • Instagram

Scott lives nearby and will often upload great photos and dash cam videos of him and his mates on these roads. So I messaged him and he gave me the route. 😎

ACEE0550-34D4-4512-888C-AC27D917895E.jpeg
A6A910BE-E152-4F11-B9EF-F6771B916C7F.jpeg
77FFE208-B7E2-4AE2-AC77-E1DCEFC0E186.jpeg