just supposing...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
just supposing you snapped a timing belt on a 1400 Nova while on the move... and everything died... what are the likely negative outcomes!!?

:?:

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
ah yes , its buggered. Same thing happened to my MG. Wasnt I a popular chap.

RComms

RMS Regular
OP
RComms
Drives
E63
ah....

well in that case Paccers positive outcome has come true... and does anyone need any nova parts? :grinning:

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
get a big engine in it andy lad!!! every cloud has a silver lining :lol:

RComms

RMS Regular
OP
RComms
Drives
E63
kerzo said:
get a big engine in it andy lad!!! every cloud has a silver lining :lol:

i could... but to be honest it could be an excuse to get something else :twisted:

not an SR Pac, just a std 1400.

Adam

RMS Regular
If its an 8v then chances are that nothing major will be damaged.
Put a new belt on and it will probably be fine.

RComms

RMS Regular
OP
RComms
Drives
E63
it was just in nrmal driving.. changing gear about 35mph....

Is it just a matter of tryin a new belt, startin her up and hoping then!?

Smoore

RMS Regular
alot of old 8v vauxhalls dont bend the valves,as i found out with my 1.6 sv engine :grinning: new timing belt and drive on :grinning:

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
No no no, check the valves first before you stick a new belt on, if there is only minor damage you could wreck the whole thing by turing it over.
E.g. if a valve is slightly bent and has a broken collet, you could end up with it dropping into the cylinder and wrecking a piston. If you want somone to check it for you pm me.

BigJoe

RMS Regular
Drives
FR-V - Civic
if its the same 1400 spi engine as the Corsa's it should be ok, as far as i was told by my mechanic the cam moves away from the valves or somefin so that the engine isnt fooked if the belt goes.... stick a new belt on and you should be ok!

revlimiter

RMS Regular
all depends what position the cam is in when the belt breaks, very strong engine so a new head will sort it out and you can pick them up cheap enough i have an sri corsa 8valve and i over revved it (put it into 2nd gear 90mph) the timing belt didnt break but she dropped a valve into the cylinder then it broke the guide on the way back up. valve stem was wedged against the cam shaft but i had to drive mine home with the piston punchin the valve and it cost £235 for reconditioned head all the gaskets, timing belt, belt tensioner and got thermostat in that price too. but mybe car aint worth that and at any rate it is possible that nothing is damaged but highly unlikely as this is a rare thing!apparently a "safe" engine against damage but i had 1400 cavalier and the belt went wreaked the ****** lot!for the price of a gasket lift the head of and check!

RComms

RMS Regular
OP
RComms
Drives
E63
ok... Valves are definately bent. woo hoo. So i'm on the hunt for a New head. I've rang round a load of places and no one has 1400's just feckin 1200's. ... apart from one plave in belfast.

they have the following:

A head of a 1400, 8v, SPI Astra Merit

Is this the same unit that would be in my 92' Nova Merit 1400, 8v, SPI? On parkers they seem to have the same bhp readings and everything...

revlimiter

RMS Regular
yes mate same head but check engine code is similar like in mine it was an "SE" so i had to replace it with a head off another "SE" engine i have a head in my corsa from an astra if u think its hard to find a single point head u shud try findin a multipoint!gd luck

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.