Karcher K2, K3 or K4

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Maybe I'm reading into it too much or being a dum dum. Cheapest new price I can find on a K5 at the moment is £260 which isn't bad. I don't know if any of the AVA range compete with it for the money.
A new K5 Compact is £229 on Amazon. Imo an AVA is better hence it costs more 🤔

Lee

RMS Regular
A new K5 Compact is £229 on Amazon. Imo an AVA is better hence it costs more 🤔

I must have missed that!

I thought I had read somewhere in a related thread that the AVAs were cheaper but still used Karcher components. I have maybe got it wrong.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
@Lee Depends on what you're looking for really. By the time you've bought a decent hose, a snow foam lance etc for the Karcher you'll be at the price of the AVA which comes with these already. Though as you've already got a Karcher you may have these already.

The AVA also comes with a 20 year warranty... if you service it every 5 years which doesn't cost much (circa £30-40 I believe but I could be wrong with the price).

I personally weighed the pros and cons of a Karcher, Nilfisk and AVA washers.... I currently have a AVA P80 master sitting ready for me to use it

From a quick look it appears the P60 Master would be comparable to the current full size Karcher K5.

Ava is a completely different company than Karcher and they don't share any components that I'm aware off. They do however share the same style connector for accessories which are usually interchangeable. Ava basically took Karcher connector and refined it from what I've seen in the reviews online. Karcher accessories will fit the AVA pretty much everytime. It can be hot or miss the opposite way (again from what I've seen online).

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
After about 15 years service my old Karcher K5.80 has decided not to work. Gutted. It's a good going washer with plenty of power. I'm wondering if it would be a simple fix or if its worth even getting it looked at. Checked simple things like the fuse and switch.

So I'm possibly on the lookout now for a replacement. Obvious choice is just a new K5, watching for a good deal. Had a look at the AVA washers online, I can't really make head nor tail of the differences in the range? Apart from the ratings obviously.
Leave it into consumable products in Ards. They will have it fixed in no time and cheap.

I have the exact same k5.80 it’s been to them twice for repairs.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I must have missed that!

I thought I had read somewhere in a related thread that the AVAs were cheaper but still used Karcher components. I have maybe got it wrong.
20 year warranty, steel braided hose, brass fittings and a metal pump...........

It's not going to be cheaper than a Karcher of the same performance!

Lee

RMS Regular
Leave it into consumable products in Ards. They will have it fixed in no time and cheap.

I have the exact same k5.80 it’s been to them twice for repairs.

I'm from Co. Fermanagh so it would be a bit of a trot. There is a Karcher dealer very close to me so maybe I will see if he wants to take a look. Strange that it just wouldn't go one day all of a sudden. But at the same time I thought ~15 years out of a powerwasher isn't bad.

The K5 Compact looks like it would meet my needs if a replacement is needed. And I will take a look at the AVA equivalent. Thanks for the info

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
The rubber braided hoses from Directhoses look to be the best, not as heavy and more bendable etc too than Cleantec.

I Havnt bought it yet but it’s this one ..

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
I have the 15m extended hose from cleantec must be coming 6 or 8 years old now. Only issue I had was the o ring split rang them and got new ones sent out. It gets trailed and threw about without issues. Used it with my k4 and now the k7 still have the original hose balled up never used it.

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
I’ve had two hoses from Cleantec and both went the same way as @Snoopcousins .

First one was a couple of years old and used only to clean our cars at home, split about 4m from the end.

Second one I bought for the MTM Hydro reel in my van. It split a few inches from the end while on a job just before Christmas. Granted it has been used to clean around 10-15 vehicles per week but it was a big inconvenience that day.

02EBD92F-B57A-44CA-A3BD-7E6C9071DB34.jpeg

Powertran in Ards came to the rescue on both occasions.

I am considering changing my Kranzle to a TS machine and will just buy a longer genuine Kranzle hose for the reel.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I've just ordered a 10m one for my K4. I can let you know what it's like when it arrives.
So I got round to using the 10m hose from Direct Hoses today.

DSC_0966.JPG

So, as the above picture shows, no coiling and it's much easier to work with than the karcher version. It's textured on the outside meaning it can catch under the wheels easily so I'll have to invest in some guides to make things even easier.

Rolling it up again was fine, just need to straighten the line out before starting to roll up.

I'll update again after a few more uses.

ShaunB

RMS Regular
I bought a 10m hose off direct hoses and used it today. Fantastic, wish I'd bought it sooner. I can now just leave the machine at the top of the drive and do what I need.
No more tangling of electricity cables or garden hose

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
10m hose was a game changer for my washing routine.

Just need to invest in some more hose for the water filter on final rinse, spend more time moving it around having only 2m or so on the end, fear is that the more hose added on the less pressure there will be rinsing as its only the power from the outside tap pushing through the filter.

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
10m hose was a game changer for my washing routine.

Just need to invest in some more hose for the water filter on final rinse, spend more time moving it around having only 2m or so on the end, fear is that the more hose added on the less pressure there will be rinsing as its only the power from the outside tap pushing through the filter.
More hose shouldn’t be an issue I’ve plenty of hose on the outlet side of the DI vessel and no issues with pressure.

Or you could use a watering can to sheet off the final rinse too.

Last edited:

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Isn't it just, and it continually fights against you as you try to roll it back up
Mine kinks too. The K5 has a longer one but I ballsed up when I bought mine and didn’t get the one with the hose reel so have to manually wind it round my arm. It then just hangs on a hook at the back of the machine.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
The plastic Karcher hoses that come with the cheaper models are horrible but the 10m hose that comes with the commercial/professional washers is much better.

I’ve the HD 5/12C and the hose doesn’t kink etc.

I remember my cheaper karcher i pulled it while kinked and it split the hose.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
As much as I’d have loved one of the new Ava washers to replace my busted K4, £500 notes was just too much….

So, got the Karcher shop in Boucher to replace the motor/casing which cost £85 and I honestly can’t believe the difference it’s made to the power…
The power must have been down a good bit (5 yr old machine) before the motor even went.

It’s more than powerful enough, Ill run it until it breaks now.

Also got a 10m hose from DirectHoses, and a longer garden hose on a wall reel so it’s just easier to work with altogether…

Ps I now have a 25m Cleantec hose for sale of anyone needs the massive length!

Loggie

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra
Where would I get a Lance/hose for a HD 5/12 C today closer to mid ulster?

I only have a spiral Lance but would like a wider one for a bit of driveway cleaning. Are there any other ones that are compatible the hose fittings on mine seem different to most on Screwfix etc.
9D88B9D0-7849-4E02-9DAF-0C21CEC8EDB9.jpeg