Keeping batteries charged up

Bryan

RMS Regular
I have a number of cars in storage and I'm constantly having to take the batteries out of them, charge them up and put them back in. Because they are mostly modern cars I'm afraid of them forgetting the key or something silly.

My problem is where they are stored has no power so I can't just add a charger to them to keep them topped up.

Anyone have any ideas on how to keep them topped up? Maybe solar?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Battery for your batteries?

1704802731817.png

Sorry first thing I thought of when I read the post :joy:

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
I have a number of cars in storage and I'm constantly having to take the batteries out of them, charge them up and put them back in. Because they are mostly modern cars I'm afraid of them forgetting the key or something silly.

My problem is where they are stored has no power so I can't just add a charger to them to keep them topped up.

Anyone have any ideas on how to keep them topped up? Maybe solar?
Yea it sounds like you need a solar charger.
My Dad got one put into his camper, no idea how good they are.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
He’s worried about them forgetting keys if left disconnected. One of my old GTi’s went a bit odd with a long term battery disconnect but that’s the only problems I’ve ever had tbh. If the cars are in a shed you’ll need to get the solar panel outside it if going that route.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
I don't mind installing solar panels outside and running a cable but I'm sure a 30 foot cable or whatever it requires will result in a significant voltage drop. Is there any solar kit out there that can manage multiple batteries?

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
SubaruLegacy
I've a small UPS you can have if you want? Charge it at home, then use it to power a 240 > 12v charger. I put new batteries in it, but I done that around 7 or 8 years ago so not sure how much charge it will hold, but they're easily sourced.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
SubaruLegacy
Might not get a full charge from flat from a UPS, but you'll be able to top a battery up ok