Keeping NI reg (non personalised)

John1600

RMS Regular
Drives
Corsa Sport
My car was originally an English car but I got an NI reg when it was first registered in NI. Is it possible to keep the NI reg even if it is not a personalised plate so that it goes back on the original English plate? The DVLA online plate transfer doesn't work and wants me to post it as it needs to be looked at further.

AC

RMS Regular
Yep, I did just this with a plate I liked when I sold a car to England. Stuck it on a bike. I do remember posting it too, was 3 or 4 years ago mind.

John1600

RMS Regular
OP
John1600
Drives
Corsa Sport
Great thanks for the reply, I wasn't sure if this was possible and I didn't want to wait a few weeks for DVLA to reject.

Reactions: AC

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Any plate can be retained - don't need to be considered a cherished number - it's a cherished number because it has been retained

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
If u want to swap a reg from one car to the other, do u have to pay the fee twice? Or can u straight swap them in one go?

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
One fee puts it on retention, free to place on another car.
Cheers, was thinking id have to pay to take the other reg off the other car to be put on the one with the reg i want, but im guessing it will be allocated a new one.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
I’ve removed by personal reg off the car and it’s given me the original English reg

Is it possible to request a Northern Ireland registration number for the car?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I’ve removed by personal reg off the car and it’s given me the original English reg

I think it's too late now, without being charged anyway. I assume you did it online? Ideally you would need to enclose a letter asking for personal reg off and NI reg assigned, then post the paperwork off. Obvs in current times that's a pita.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news

Some can correct me if I’m wrong but it’s just a case of posting your v5 to Swansea with a covering letter asking for an NI reg. I’ve been meaning to sort mine for ages.

RevT

RMS Regular
Yep, just send them a letter with your book explaining what you would like.

I much prefer GB plate format though.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
I think it's too late now, without being charged anyway. I assume you did it online? Ideally you would need to enclose a letter asking for personal reg off and NI reg assigned, then post the paperwork off. Obvs in current times that's a pita.

Yeah I was hoping for option online but when I clicked next it was done lol
Some can correct me if I’m wrong but it’s just a case of posting your v5 to Swansea with a covering letter asking for an NI reg. I’ve been meaning to sort mine for ages.

cheers. I’ll do that :grinning:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
David just be careful atm as there's folks on here talking about 2 month turnaround times or more on V5's being processed, just incase you're planning on selling a car or sumat. Plus to change now after already being assigned a reg will cost.

RevT

RMS Regular
David just be careful atm as there's folks on here talking about 2 month turnaround times or more on V5's being processed, just incase you're planning on selling a car or sumat. Plus to change now after already being assigned a reg will cost.

No it won’t, it can be done at any time now to an NI reg without fee.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
No it won’t, it can be done at any time now to an NI reg without fee.
Even after being assigned a reg? Didn't use to be the case so I'm surprised it's changed. If asked for an NI reg from offset it was free 1st time.

RevT

RMS Regular
Even after being assigned a reg? Didn't use to be the case so I'm surprised it's changed. If asked for an NI reg from offset it was free 1st time.

Yea, it never used to be the case but since it all moved to Swansea it can be done at anytime.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular

Im not planning on selling it so time wise is ok I just hate the EA56 reg on it now lol

If I was charged I’d prob buy a cheaper 3 digit reg for it.

I had planned on driving the ST more but it’s hard when the RRS is sitting beside it 😂

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Just for future reference, i removed my personal reg online today and assumed it would assign the original GB reg the car came with, but much to my surprise and preference it gave me the original NI reg straight away (no option of GB).

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Just for future reference, i removed my personal reg online today and assumed it would assign the original GB reg the car came with, but much to my surprise and preference it gave me the original NI reg straight away (no option of GB).
Oul Golf going up the road G?