Keiths Nova Turbo Project

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
Drives
911Turbo
My 2.0L 16v Turbo Vauxhall Nova - Total Vauxhall Featured

Not sure where my old thread went to ^o)

As some of you probably noticed, I stripped and sold all the bits from my High Spec SG 1300 engine. It was an awesome engine but once I had a taste for the power I wanted more. At least I got an awesome two trips to the Nurburgring with it!

Picture045.jpg

So the engine is now out, and all sold off - the front looks like this!

000_0019.gif

Rear arch

000_0026.gif

My tiny rear springs

000_0045.gif

And finally, my C20LET. Something I haven’t really been hiding from anyone, but just wanted to make sure I had it in my possession before I broadcasted it. Bought from Carmad from the site (thanks dude)

000_0041.jpg

Plans for the car are as follows: Strip the floor and inner arches back to bare metal, clean everything up, seam weld the engine bay, make mounts to host the 6 speed box. The shell will then have the floor painted along with the inner arches.

Engine will have a gasket rebuild and will be run standard at 204bhp to begin with. A custom intercooler and Rad will help cooling and keep the sleeper look, as it wont be pokeing through the bumper.

Gearbox has already been completed. Its a F28 6 speed, rebuilt by V-tuning, converted to 2wd with a Quaiffe ATB Diff fitted. £££ :mad:

Alot of people told me that the 1300 was the reason my car was so different. But NI is lacking in Nova turbos moreso that any other. 6 speed Novas being something i've yet to see apart from at engine shows. (even then, there's very few) Its also something i've ALWAYS wanted to own, and I see it as an achievement to build it myself.

Please bare in mind this is an expensive project to do right, I don’t want the engine looking like I’ve just thrown it in. I’m on a normal wage like most people so its going to take months/years, not weeks to complete. I’ll try to keep everyone updated on the progress.

Updates will follow :grinning:

Keith

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Showwed my mates pics and a spec of this wee weapon, and he near blew his load... Its a class wee motor, and you seem to do everything rihgt to it, so keep up the good work :laughing:

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo
Keiths 2.0L 16v Turbo Nova Build (update 23/09/07)

pablo said:
youre on the right road mate. 1300 wasnt going to cut it lol!

It was stupidly quick for all it was, and sounded absolutely awesome. Turbo wont have the lovely carb sound, but then i wont mind :cool:

---------

Gearbox arrived on thursday. Will just require a good cleaning and a coat of paint. Priority now is to get the intercooler/rad saved for, then concentrate on sorting the shell.

6speed.jpg

Keith

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Proper order Keith! Don't know where your older thread vanished too :oops:

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Cooper said:
Don't know where your older thread vanished too :oops:

Someone must have cracked a joke in it.:p

The 1300 seemed to be a stunning bit of kit, this should maintain the same high standard. Always liked the idea of a 2l turbo Nova, and never heard of anyone mating it to a 6 speed box. Will definately be an awesome machine when it's complete.

rsnutter

R
Just try not to miss any more gears:p Will be a wagon once finished (y)

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo
wingnut said:
and never heard of anyone mating it to a 6 speed box. Will definately be an awesome machine when it's complete.

Most people just use the F20 5 speed, but they eventually blow up with the extra power and torque, you can run straight cut gears, but at around 2k with a diff, It just makes more sence to use the 6 speed at half the price.

Keith

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo
rsnutter said:
Just try not to miss any more gears:p Will be a wagon once finished (y)

lol - William with the Nova sport from bangor has pretty much my old engine. The bottom end, cam, lifters etc. Should be mint when he gets it all sorted :grinning:

Keith

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Nice move! If I had the choice though I would have went non turbo with throttle bodies but it is a hell of a lot more expensive!

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo
kerzo said:
Nice move! If I had the choice though I would have went non turbo with throttle bodies but it is a hell of a lot more expensive!

Not really, when i add up the price of my engine, to gasket rebuild it, the 6 speed, diff and conversion, and the mental price of the intercooler and rad i need made to keep it subtle, i could easily have had a 16v XE on tb's.

That would get me 180bhp. With some extra money i could push an XE to 220bhp. But with the turbo, a simple phase 2 upgrade gives me 280bhp, reliable too.

Keith

Andy_09

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford focus 1.8
Top stuff! Love seeing projects like this. Would be a dream to take one on myself. What was the bhp on the 1.3 before you took it out?

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo
Andy_09 said:
Top stuff! Love seeing projects like this. Would be a dream to take one on myself. What was the bhp on the 1.3 before you took it out?

119bhp. up from 69 std.

Keith

Twain

RMS Regular
Fair play lad, always like a perfectionist. Take your time and itll be done right im sure. 280bhp in a Nova, oh my....will the power be put down or mostly spun? Surely this is a drag car or are you going to concentrate on handling also?

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Looks and sounds like its gonna be great Keith,never seen your nova in person :worried: always wanted too, i will someday tho!

Bronk

RMS Regular
good job wee man :laughing:

cant wait to see it finished..red top turbo in a nova..youve lost it lad lol

rosssei

RMS Regular
saw the 1.3 in the port at the show on easter sunday, looked amazing!!

cant wait to see the finished red top turbo in it!! been in chris' nova salloon red top, cant imagine what the turbo is like!!

Get her build lad!

Jonny

RMS Regular
all the very best with it keith

really really cant wait to see it

good luck fella

sexxxo-vtr

Drives
330ci sport
rosssei said:
saw the 1.3 in the port at the show on easter sunday, looked amazing!!

cant wait to see the finished red top turbo in it!! been in chris' nova salloon red top, cant imagine what the turbo is like!!

Get her build lad!

is his not an 8v?

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
this is the nicest nova about imo, and im drulling off imagining it being a 2L redtop turbo...ohh baby!! some power - some style keep at it Keith. good man

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo
Twain said:
Fair play lad, always like a perfectionist. Take your time and itll be done right im sure. 280bhp in a Nova, oh my....will the power be put down or mostly spun? Surely this is a drag car or are you going to concentrate on handling also?

The gearbox will help get the power down, the ATB diff was on my list of prioritys, there's a first gear boost switch so run half boost in 1st if i choose to use it.

I've been in two now and to be honest there isnt a problem using the power if your sensible. Think about if you try hard enough a 1.2 will spin in second gear, but only if your a nutter lol

Keith

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
cant believe ya told everyone :worried:

shuda kept it quiet till it was done lol

plus i've been tellin everyone u were tunin a corsa sport engine for it lol bi-atch