Kelly crowned National Rally Champion in Sligo

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cess

RMS Staff
On the RMS Blog: Donagh Kelly wrapped up the Triton Showers National Rally Championship, after a trouble-free run to second overall on the Sligo Stages Rally. The Donegal man, who has been in commanding form all season, needed to finish seventh or better in order to guarantee the title. He went some way to securing that place by setting the fastest time by almost 20 seconds on the opening stage. (Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Do you think he'll sell the Focus & maybe look at a Fiesta?

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
He said he's coming back to defend the title next year at the finish ramp and try and secure the Tarmac Championship in August. Beyond that, I don't know what his plans are @DC.

Lots of 2 + 2 type stuff here by me, but I'd guess if he's going to defend his NRC title, he'll stick with a WRC of some sort.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
I have to say I really enjoyed Sunday. It was fantastic for viewing, with a compact loop of stages contained within a small area that was easily accessible. I ventured to Sligo last year on the wrong day (Saturday) but I'm really glad I made the trip on the right day this year.

Based on the really positive experience I had on Sunday, how enthusiastic the drivers were about the National Championship and the non scoring of points for WRC's in the ITC ..... I can see the NRC becoming the premier championship in Irish rallying.

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
Yeah, the compact format makes it really attractive for drivers, cost-wise, which has saw the entry take off in recent years. Recce on the Saturday, rally on the Sunday.

There's hopefully room for all championships across Ireland. The national and the Tarmac Championship serve different purposes and I hope they all flourish as there are some great stages about. It was nice to see the former Rally Ireland stages reused at the weekend.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.