Ken Blocks latest, Gymkhana #7 - The Hoonicorn

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Very good. I'm more surprised that they were able to clear the roads as much having driven in LA myself lol

chris_b

RMS Regular
OP
chris_b
Drives
A car
Very good. I'm more surprised that they were able to clear the roads as much having driven in LA myself lol

he wouldn't have been able too for the first one ! Goes to show what a success he and the viral videos have become that they got so much support

I find them repetitive and generally boring to watch.

Don't watch them then.

johnm

RMS Regular
I think they're all getting to be pretty much the same myself.
Dude is definitely living the dream though.

Just mix it up a bit!

chris_b

RMS Regular
OP
chris_b
Drives
A car
I think they're all getting to be pretty much the same myself.
Dude is definitely living the dream though.

Just mix it up a bit!

How though? Not disagreeing with you but there is only so much you can do in a car. What Ken does is unquestionably the pinnacle of 'Hooning' in a car and he does it very very well. The cinematography is as big, if not more so a triumph as the driving aspect and I guess thats why this time he and Vaughn Gittin Jr. built the 'Hoonicorn' rather than continue with the Fiesta, to add something new.
Ken is winning at life quite simply and has mastered social media unlike anyone else I know of. Repetitive it maybe but millions of us will all have now watched it in the matter of a few hrs so a success it most definitely is.

Same can be said of any car related or indeed any production. Take Guy Martin's speed. We are all loving it clearly but a few years down the line and meh we will all be a little bored of it and wondering can he not do something new.

johnm

RMS Regular
Completely agree on the video skills part, but in all of them, he slides under something, spins round stuff, rear entries.

I know how wild it sounds saying its the same as all of that stuff is fantastic but you watch the first couple and albeit in a different car, they are hugely similar. I'd probably do it too as there isnt much you can do, but look at this and gymkana 5, which is by far and away his best one. The jumps like the sideways airborne entry he did into one corner, get Pastrana in them racing him too.

Not going to lie, that Ford is stunning.
All I'm saying is going from 5 to this seems a step backwards, slightly tamer, I watched this hoping for something new, but thought it lacked a bit.
Something like going head to head with a trophy truck like the unleashed in pasadena worked into it.

Everyone loves Jumps!!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Fantastic. Love the bit at 4.20.

Also 7?! Have there really been 7 of them? The last I saw was 2 I think.

chris_b

RMS Regular
OP
chris_b
Drives
A car
Lot of good points there @johnm I just wonder what the limitations are as such. Perhaps he does not really want to share any other persons in the videos or something as he has through sponsors access to unlimited talented riders / drivers.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Awesome, enjoyed that. Obviously gets a lot of practice runs judging by the rubber already layed down.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
To say that im jealous of his lifestyle would be an understatement!

That said, I'm beginning to question his "actual" skills. Yes he is a fantastic driver, of that there's no doubt, but I wonder how much of it could he do "in the moment"

If it's true that it was filmed over 4 or 5 days, it kind of takes away a bit of the wonder (to me anyway).

I'd like to see the outtakes, you can see in many of the shots loads of previous tracks, which I would have said were practice, but knowing that it was filmed over days I'm wondering how any mistakes during filming there were. It takes the spontaneity out of it.

chris_b

RMS Regular
OP
chris_b
Drives
A car
Trust me, he can drive and I mean really drive !! The 4/5 days isn't for him really more for camera work

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
Drives
182/ 208 GTI
Watched it earlier, that car is an animal, this should be used as lead car in the new Mad Max film, incredible machine, 4 wheel burnout ftw! :cool:

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Class, love these vids.

Love the bit around the doughnut shop with the lovely clean lines, that's what it is all about, first takes ;)

As for his skills, It's fair to question them imo, I've no doubt he is a far better pilot than me but hardly sets the world alight apart from these cleverly edited videos. He tends to be slow and more crash prone than Kubica in the WRC. He only makes selected apperances now he was that poor at it.

There has been plenty apperances from other DC riders too, rob Drydek and travis Pastrana etc, surprised there isn't someone in this one.

Proper entertaining though, if I had his money, I'd like to think that is what I'd do with it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.