Kirkistown Car Race Meeting This Saturday 25th June.

V8

RMS Regular
Mid-Season Speed At Kirkistown.

Saturday 25th June sees the mid-season car race meeting take place at Kirkistown Racing Circuit in County Down. As usual, all the domestic championships will be contested.

The featured class will be the Kirkistown Fiestas. As well as their two championship races, they will have a special “Fiestaval” as a stand-alone third race. The starting order on the grid will be decided by a draw and the winner will be crowned the “Fiestival Ace of 2022”. All of the main contenders have entered. That means that the intense, friendly, family rivalry between the Stewart brothers, Mark and Paul, from Belfast and the father and son team of Derek and Michael Graham, from Portadown will be renewed. To add to the fun, Neville Anderson, from Banbridge, lies third in the Fiesta Championship and will also be mixing it at the front. Strangford driver, Megan Campbell, has not been on her usual form this season, although she still lies sixth in the championship. If she gets her mojo going this time, she will be right at the front as well. Stephen Walker makes the trip from Helensburgh in Scotland every meeting and he has been getting closer to the top six this year. Corey Alleyne, from Letterkenny, is back this time. He performed well in May, driving one of Ricky Hull’s Creative Motorsport cars.
282213087_7807254235953075_9004919506327193556_n.jpeg

Neville Anderson (97) leading the pack in Fiestas.

In the Saloons and GTs race, all of the main contenders have entered. Once again, Lurgan’s Peter Baxter should have the best chance in his Seat Supercopa. Ralph Jess, from Ballinahinch, will be hoping for some reliability from his BMW M3. Gareth Blaine, from Downpatrick, has been going exceptionally well in a BMW330i and Keith Wray, from Dundonald, seemed to have got a new lease of life, at the last meeting, in his re-fettled 330i. His brother, Greer, from Lisburn had to fight hard to better him, in a similar machine. Donal O’Neill, from Nutt’s Corner, will be back out in his trusty but aging Seat Leon.
282302694_7807732732571892_1649200518330854029_n.jpeg

The GT class will be made up of Paul McAlinden, from Warrenpoint, in his SHP Wildcat and Jonathan Mills, from Newcastle, in his twin-engined Clio.
282685911_7807727975905701_8263056618791300589_n.jpeg

Paul McAlinden.

The Modi-5-Cup for Mazda MX5s has six entrants. Gregory Radcliffe, from Banbridge, is the newcomer. He is joined by father of the class, David Cousins, from Ballywalter, Derry driver, Gavin Kilkey, Moira man, Francis Allen, Newry driver, Damian Moran and Culloville driver, Jim Kennedy. This is a very tight class that will only grow with time, as the racing is so good. Picking a winner in advance is a fool’s errand.
284283838_7807729115905587_6976502739272973192_n.jpeg

Modi-5-Cup Mazdas are never far apart!

The Roadsports class has a small but incredibly fast and close number of entrants. Once again, the main focus will be on new lap record holder, Steven Larkham, from Carrickfergus. Can he beat his uncle Jim, in a similar Radical Pro6? Jim is from Newtownabbey. Ivor “The Driver” Greenwood, from Crumlin, will be out to beat both of them in another Radical as will Banbridge man, Brian Elliott. The Crosslé marque will be represented by Holywood driver, John Benson, in a 37S and Blackrock driver, Bernard Foley, in a 42S. Arnie Black, from Banbridge, may well be factored in with his unique Mermik 1. The potential of this car has not yet been fully released, as Arnie has methodically been working on set-up since he acquired it.
282135297_7807356679276164_3759530205652149446_n.jpeg

Roadsports and Spritscar lap record holder, Steven Larkham.

Another small but very competitive entry has been received for FF1600s. Top of the list is Ballymena driver, David McCullough, who is the current N.I. FF1600 Champion. He will have the Mondial M89 Duo of Ballycastle’s Brandon McCaughan and “The Randalstown Rocket”, Alan Davidson, biting at his exhaust pipe. Both of these latter two get the absolute maximum out of their aging cars. Mike Todd, from Parkgate, makes a welcome return, also in an M89 as does Antrim’s Drew Stewart, in a Van Diemen RF00. Robert Johnston, from Crumlin, is getting more familiar with his new Ray GR22 and he should be rising up the order. Ballymena’s Henry Campbell will be back in his Reynard RF89 and 500MRCI Chairman, Paul McMorran, from Holywood, will be driving the oldest car in the field, a Crosslé 25F.
281953190_7807420235936475_2529069782237599650_n.jpeg

Brandon McCaughan leading Alan Davidson in FF1600.

The fields in the various classes may not be big but the racing will be as fierce as ever. Qualifying starts at 9:00am, with the first race around 10:30am.

Would you like to get really close to the racing? The marshals at Kirkistown are highly trained experts at dealing with with crashes, fires and flag communications. But they did not start out that way. Every single one began their marshalling journey knowing little or nothing about the vocation. Most of them just wanted to get closer to the racing!

If you are passionate about racing and would like to become one of the valued Kirkistown marshals, ring 028 42771325 and ask for Donal or email donal@kirkistown.com. You will be invited along, introduced to Fel, our chief marshal, and she will tell you what is involved.

There will be a special display in the paddock this Saturday, on behalf of Motorsport UK, aimed at anyone who would like to get involved in the sport, from marshalling to driving. Make sure you call in!

RacerX

RMS Member
They don’t really want spectators there.
Slows things down to open the gate for people to cross to the facilities.

Racers only getting 12 minute races now plus 1 lap at best.

The track needs a grandstand on the inside of Debtor’s with a view of the fastest corner and the whole bottom section, and modern toilets and a tuck shop underneath in my opinion.

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
A
They don’t really want spectators there.
Slows things down to open the gate for people to cross to the facilities.

Racers only getting 12 minute races now plus 1 lap at best.

The track needs a grandstand on the inside of Debtor’s with a view of the fastest corner and the whole bottom section, and modern toilets and a tuck shop underneath in my opinion.

A bridge over the main straight like they have at Mondello would fix that

I have to agree that a bit more promotion and spectator interest would be great to see at the races, it’s the main track up north so definitely deserves it IMO

RacerX

RMS Member
A

A bridge over the main straight like they have at Mondello would fix that

I have to agree that a bit more promotion and spectator interest would be great to see at the races, it’s the main track up north so definitely deserves it IMO
A bridge would be great but it just takes up too much space each side for the ramp up and down so will never happen.
A tunnel the same.
That’s why I suggest a spectator area with appropriate facilities on the outfield side to take advantage of that area.

RacerX

RMS Member
I think @V8 is in charge now so hopefully things will improve!
Would be good to have a bit more of a buzz about the place on race days.

The general public don’t know it’s even really happening but I’ll stand by my first comment about the club not wanting spectators there.

I’m sure there’s a couple of guys racing, in any class that would trailer their car down to the McKee clock on a Saturday and talk sh@t about it for a couple of hours to the public and tell people they’re racing next week 20mins away to promote it.
I know I would.

Club membership annually isn’t expensive and includes entry to the events.

V8

RMS Regular
OP
V8
"They don’t really want spectators there.
Slows things down to open the gate for people to cross to the facilities."

I suppose that is why we send press releases to over 30 different papers before each meeting.

"Racers only getting 12 minute races now plus 1 lap at best."

At the June meeting every race was 15 minutes plus a lap. It depends on the number of races being run. In most cases, especially when there is a recovery situation, there is no issue with opening the gate to get spectators across.

"The track needs a grandstand on the inside of Debtor’s with a view of the fastest corner and the whole bottom section, and modern toilets and a tuck shop underneath in my opinion."

That would be great and has been explored. However, insurance for it made it a non-starter. Believe it or not, the Ibrox disaster made grandstands a liability. Even if we could afford to build it, it would never pay for itself.

"A bridge would be great but it just takes up too much space each side for the ramp up and down so will never happen."

That is correct. Kirkistown is wider than Mondello, especially on the front straight.

"A tunnel the same."

Not quite. The main problem there is that Kirkistown is practically at sea level. We would never stop it flooding! :laughing:

V8

RMS Regular
OP
V8
"On the bridge idea, would it be possible to improve parking on the outside of the track and have a footbridge across?"

This has been explored over the years. The main problem is the span for the footbridge and the positioning. It would have to be after the start/finish line and thus would have to span the track and the pit discharge lane. Once again, expense comes into play.

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
On the bridge idea, would it be possible to improve parking on the outside of the track and have a footbridge across?

Exactly what I was thinking, footbridge would be ideal then suitable parking outside the circuit. It would definitely need to be a well engineered steel structure but would need investment as expected

I’m not big into social media myself and hate the Facebook platform but a lot of promotion seems to be through FB and Instagram for current race events down south that attract bring numbers. The livestream down south at the race events is also great but again there seems to be a lot of investment and sponsorship involved

I’m aiming to get back racing soon and finishing up a saloon/touring car build and have definitely missed it after a 3 year break. There are meetings for Kirkistown held for members each year where you can have your say on what you think would help the club but I’m sure Donal will be able to put forward a few spectator ideas at the time

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
There are some impressive racecars and drivers at Kirkistown and a lot of local talent for such a small club circuit, it would be good to see more interest from Spectators and from new Drivers even tho the cost factor is more of a challenge now than ever I think it’s still possible

RacerX

RMS Member
"They don’t really want spectators there.
Slows things down to open the gate for people to cross to the facilities."

I suppose that is why we send press releases to over 30 different papers before each meeting.

"Racers only getting 12 minute races now plus 1 lap at best."

At the June meeting every race was 15 minutes plus a lap. It depends on the number of races being run. In most cases, especially when there is a recovery situation, there is no issue with opening the gate to get spectators across.

"The track needs a grandstand on the inside of Debtor’s with a view of the fastest corner and the whole bottom section, and modern toilets and a tuck shop underneath in my opinion."

That would be great and has been explored. However, insurance for it made it a non-starter. Believe it or not, the Ibrox disaster made grandstands a liability. Even if we could afford to build it, it would never pay for itself.

"A bridge would be great but it just takes up too much space each side for the ramp up and down so will never happen."

That is correct. Kirkistown is wider than Mondello, especially on the front straight.

"A tunnel the same."

Not quite. The main problem there is that Kirkistown is practically at sea level. We would never stop it flooding! :laughing:
Thanks for that reply- interesting insight into the grandstand situation.

I’ve been to meetings this year with 12 and I believe 8 minute races, with no obvious time addition for a safety car period which on occasion it has led to some very limited actual racing in certain classes.

I fully understand the need to keep the day moving but the vibe I’ve been getting lately is that it’s just get the day over with ASAP.

Sending a press release to 30 different papers sounds like something from the 1970s.

The attendance at meetings would suggest ineffective marketing and I never see or hear about the racing anywhere publicly so maybe a more modern approach as @StephenDc2 says to a more targeted audience would bring in more punters?

How about approaching car clubs and having a static show in the infield or down the bottom to augment the racing?

With the new house purchase down the bottom how about a new public entrance there with parking on the land beside the house and a bridge over to the concrete bit between Colonial and Fisherman’s?
Are there any plans in place for people involved in the racing down there to look forward to that you can mention @V8 ?