Kit car??

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

thomasr

RMS Member
Drives
Swif Sport
Anyone on here any experience with the like of the Westfield/robinhood style kit cars I'm considering getting one as a second car I've already checked insurance an it's all good, but it's finding one especially in northern Ireland? Any help/advice appreciated

scooby1929

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx
I am 90 % thru building my mev exocet and its uses an mx5 as the donar. I have really enjoyed building it and all parts come from the one donar.
For the money they are hard to beat
I have had mine out on a few track days and its mighty craic. I plan to supercharge it this year

Last edited:

thomasr

RMS Member
OP
thomasr
Drives
Swif Sport
Appreciate all the advice guys going to give rob's thread a read I was sort of thinking to myself about a £2500 max budget because I wouldn't have minded if the car needed any work to complete/do up but I'm thinking I might need I dig slightly deeper lol

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Appreciate all the advice guys going to give rob's thread a read I was sort of thinking to myself about a £2500 max budget because I wouldn't have minded if the car needed any work to complete/do up but I'm thinking I might need I dig slightly deeper lol

Im on my 3rd Westfield.

Robs budget for his build will be 25-30k so bare that in mind.

I think directing you to is a much better idea - http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk

pablo

RMS Moderator
cheap kit car will be a bit crap imo. Id an older robin hood with a sporty pinto and it was a bit lardy with a monocoque chassis and sierra rear axle.

bit of fun but lots of work you can spend a fortune on them.

thomasr

RMS Member
OP
thomasr
Drives
Swif Sport
Thanks guys and yea it was more an older already built one I was looking, just abit if cheap and cheerful fun I was looking :grinning:

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
You will still need at least 4k to buy one with a tax book.

pablo

RMS Moderator
the robinhood zero looks reasonable you can pick up part built ones for a couple of grand then finish it the way you want to. seems a reasonable chassis too but still a sh!t load of work.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Does it have to be a kit car? I would imagine there are plenty of good track cars available for £2500.

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
Mk3 mr2 uk spec should have LSD and about 140hp.

I picked one up needing a clutch and a general tidy up for £800. If you decide you like it you can always stick in the 190hp celica engine.

thomasr

RMS Member
OP
thomasr
Drives
Swif Sport
Paddymcc I like your thinking I've been looking flat out for ages an can't find anything in the kit car bran but was looking 2secs and have already seen a few wee mr2's for cheap so going to look into them and see, does the celica engine just drop straight in?

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
Paddymcc I like your thinking I've been looking flat out for ages an can't find anything in the kit car bran but was looking 2secs and have already seen a few wee mr2's for cheap so going to look into them and see, does the celica engine just drop straight in?

From what ive read its more or less straight forward. If you look on the MR2 forums for a 2zz engine swop there are some tutorials on what exactly you need to fit it to the MR2.

The 1zz engine already fitted to the MR2 was also fitted to the celica, however the Celica and Corolla T sport got the faster 2zz 190hp version. Heres what you need:

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/extra_info_pages.php?pages_id=18

Gordy L

RMS Regular
Drives
GTO TT
I bought a wee kit car last year for around your budget. It called a DUTTON B-Plus.
I bought this with a 1.6 pinto in it, that was a bit gutless. Over the winter I have now fitted a 1.8 zetec. which has made some difference
Have to say its great fun to drive and is so different to drive than anything else I have ever had.

I have seen a few cars similar to this recently for sale well in your budget, so if thats what you really want just hold your time and wait for one to pop up. You will not me disappointed.
Here is a wee pic:

Attachments

• DSC0000191.jpg
    DSC0000191.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 98

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Duttons are some machines, pretty brave putting any more power into one!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.