Lampost positioning

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

big cyril

RMS Regular
Ok Stevie , perhaps lamp posts should all be put right at the kerb , fitted with metal spikes and electrified , then that would teach any naughty drivers who made a mistake and wandered over the kerb wouldn't it! ;)

D.T.T.B.

RMS Regular
Drives
celica gt4 st185
Red_Zetec said:
I can't really be arsed with trying to claim now, just wanted to see what people thought. Good excuse to get a new motor! I see tho that stevieturbo seems to think i was driving like a maniac and just drove off the road. Do you actually know the road that i crashed on or have you seen where this telegraph pole is? This road has old low granite kerbs that are about 2inches high so there not like normal kerbs, i didn't even know i was off the road. Put yourself in the situation, driving along a narrow road at night when a car coming towards you blinds you with their lights, would you
a)keep going and may run the risk of clipping the car or
b)move over to give them some room and take your chances with the low kerbs?

Only an idiot decided to put a telegraph pole as close to the edge of the road as possible, not what you expect to be there.

thing is the police would prob advise you in this situation you should stop were you are as driving while blinded is not a good idea you should be on your side of the road anyway so moving over should not be nessesary.and under road law you should be driving within the conditions of the road....obviously very tight and dark, so your speed should be low and its in a 30 so stopping shouldnt be a prob,the lamp post could have been a pedestrian or a cyclist.
and since you moved the car you have no proof of it now anyway as someone said previously. its **** but just one of those things.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
big cyril said:
Ok Stevie , perhaps lamp posts should all be put right at the kerb , fitted with metal spikes and electrified , then that would teach any naughty drivers who made a mistake and wandered over the kerb wouldn't it! ;)

Or just have a security guard stand by the pole. Then if a motorist strays off the road and onto the pavement, they can kill the guard before hitting the pole.

It should lessen any damage to the pole, and perhaps the car.

Red_Zetec

RMS Regular
OP
Red_Zetec
Drives
2006 Skoda Fabia
As i already said i ain't going to bother pursuing the claim idea, just wanted to see what ppl thought was best to do. I prob still will write a letter to the DOE/DRD pointing out that the pole is in a dangerous place. A guy who lived opposite where i crashed came out to see what happened and was telling me that a few ppl have hit that pole and he himself has had a few close calls with it.You could clean your wing mirror off going past the pole without even mounting the kerb, my front wing just glanced the pole so i was barely on the pavement, your talking a few inches.

UNLOCKCARRADIOS

Drives
disco
Be Careful

Did you know that telegraph poles and lampost's sometimes grow legs and run out in front of your car !! be careful BE SOBER!!

If you was blinded by the lights of another car then the crash was not your fault you should contact one of those Accident help lines gain some advice from them.......

Nordonian

RMS Regular
UNLOCKCARRADIOS said:
Did you know that telegraph poles and lampost's sometimes grow legs and run out in front of your car !! be careful BE SOBER!!

If you was blinded by the lights of another car then the crash was not your fault you should contact one of those Accident help lines gain some advice from them.......

1. anyone who drives under the influence of alcohol deserves all they get, its the innocents who usually suffer

2. if you have no number plate to report its almost certainly a dead on

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
I think i would have gave the **** the full beams slowed down and not have moved my car left or right!

Andy M

RMS Regular
What a stupid thread. You mounted the kerb and hit a lamppost?And now you're trying to blame the lamppost? Get real. As stevie said, what about if it had have been a wee kid standing there and not a lamppost? Would you blame the kid for you crashing into him/her?

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
oK oK stevie and big cyril., christ lads., no need to get upset.,. i see exactly wat both you all mean, and both very valid points! The post was off the road, so unfortubately red_zetec is at fault,. and would be wiser saying nothing and moving on!!

Also it would be nicer if the likes of B.T and the D.O.E (their workers) or who ever places the posts, would use a little more common sense and think of potential stationary dangers to motorists!! ie the placement of posts/poles, if they have the room to place them in a slightly better spot, without maybe having to seek other planning and without disturbing someone else, like householders/farmers!!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.