Land Rover Defender 110 Station Wagon

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
Following on from the "today-I-bought" post, my wife and I are currently on the ferry from Holyhead to Dublin having collected our Defender 110.

Primarily this will be my wife's car, which maybe seems a bit mad, but she's a farmer's daughter and delusions of country living will hopefully be enough for her to over-look the tractor gearbox and lack of sound-proofing. Having spent the weekend driving 300 miles round Snowdonia National Park I love it. It takes a bit of time to get used to how it likes to be driven, but i definitely get why people love them.

The car is 2011 2.4 Puma engine (last of the 2.4l before they were changed to the 2.2l), and I've yet to figure out the extras but it has half leather, and must have a winter pack (heated seats, heated windscreen, etc). Also has a rear ladder, full rubber mats and side-steps. The only modifications I can see is the addition of a bluetooth kit. Colour I believe is Galway green.

I never bother putting member's cars threads up here, but I've been inspired to stick this up with the aim of keeping it updated not only with both modifications and work carried out on the car, but hopefully also a few of the adventures we have in it as a family.

I've a full list of potential mods planned, but I'll take it one step at at time (thanks to @mcma1 's threads on here and Defender2.net my head is spinning full of ideas!). It had a full once over before I picked it up (new tyres, bushes, etc) but I think I'll drop it down to BLRC for a bit of a health check for the bits I'll have missed. after that the 1st item on the list is a full extensive underseal, so need to figure out where is best to get that sorted (not sure if this is something BLRC do).

Anyway, here's a couple of photos to get me started, I'll get a few proper photo's of the car when I get home.

12th oct 2019, 2.jpg
12th oct 2019.jpg

12th oct 2019, 3a.jpg

205GTINUT

RMS Regular
Drives
E36 M3 Evo
I’ll be showing this to my wife, would have one tomorrow if she’d change from the evoque. IF...

Looks fab, look forward to following the thread!

Stebo

RMS Regular
OP
Stebo
Drives
Defender 110
I’ll be showing this to my wife, would have one tomorrow if she’d change from the evoque. IF...

Looks fab, look forward to following the thread!
My wife has driven an xc90 for the last 5 years so she is well used to the size. She was thinking one of the new XC90's but I couldn't face the depreciation.

My wife doesn't do big miles so I am kinda hopeful that this will hold it's value well if it is looked after. That way even if she does get sick of it we should be able to move it on without being out a fortune.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Fantastic, love a green 110. Your wife has good taste in vehicles! Ha!

As for underside treatment, take it to AG Automotive in Portstewart for the full Dinitrol works, there’s barely a week goes past that he isn’t doing a Defender. He has a 110 of his own so knows what’s what.

Stebo

RMS Regular
OP
Stebo
Drives
Defender 110
Fantastic, love a green 110. Your wife has good taste in vehicles! Ha!

As for underside treatment, take it to AG Automotive in Portstewart for the full Dinitrol works, there’s barely a week goes past that he isn’t doing a Defender. He has a 110 of his own so knows what’s what.

Sounds like just who I’m looking. I live near Banbridge though, so it’d be a bit of a trek, and I’d have to leave it with him.

Will give him a call anyway to see if I can sort something. I was also thinking that BLRC are bound to have a contact or two that they would trust to do a good job - not like Land Rovers are renowned for rusting or anything :joy:

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
BLRC will do the undersealing, picture of my old one getting the treatment there!
Your wife is a good one for using it every day, they look do look the part though!
IMG-20190807-WA0002.jpg

Stebo

RMS Regular
OP
Stebo
Drives
Defender 110
Got speaking to BLRC today - 1 year waiting list for undersealing!! Going to get it thrown down to them on Saturday for a bit of a health check anyway.

Somebody has recommended a guy David Faulkner (DF Engineering) near Saintfield for the job - has anybody on here any experience of him?

Last edited:

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
Got speaking to BLRC today - 1 year waiting list for undersealing!!

aka “We don’t want to do it.”

weirdly these have been a dream car of sorts for me since my childhood. Have absolutely no need for one and I would never pay the money they command so I’ll likely never own one but I appreciate that’s a lovely example you have.

Stebo

RMS Regular
OP
Stebo
Drives
Defender 110
aka “We don’t want to do it.”

weirdly these have been a dream car of sorts for me since my childhood. Have absolutely no need for one and I would never pay the money they command so I’ll likely never own one but I appreciate that’s a lovely example you have.

Yes, think that it is the time that it takes and ties up a ramp, so they weren't overly interested.

Has been a bit of a dream car for us too, but the way prices are going we figured if we don't do it now we'll not get the chance again. No doubt now I've bought one their used prices will fall through the floor!

Last edited:

Stebo

RMS Regular
OP
Stebo
Drives
Defender 110
Happy to report my wife is loving the first couple of weeks of Defender ownership.

I had it out earning it's keep last nigh, towing a trailer full of horse manure about 10 miles out the road. I was a bit concerned that it wouldn't tow as well as my wife's old XC90 but it did the job well. The brakes mightn't just inspire as much confidence, but it did everything I asked of it.

dung.jpg

dung 2.jpg

I'm not as used to judging the tow-bar on this car, (and the defender doesn't have a soft plastic bumper!) so I reckon that a reversing camera and some work lights for hitching up would go a long way to making life a bit easier.

Did some Friday night shopping and bought a Scenelite S17 and a JVC KD-X561DBT plus a cheapy camera to see where and what works well (I'll likely replace this with a decent camera when I've figured out what I actually want). I didn't want to go double din so I hope that the 3" screen is good enough, and also that the blue colours doesn't do my head in against the LR green

Amazon product ASIN B00RVP2QTU
Amazon product ASIN B07RJQJ1DY

jabw51

Drives
LR Defender
Hi Stebo - complete newby on here and sorry for out of the blue contact....but spotted this old post ref the JVC head unit you put on your gorgeous 110 - How did you get on with it? was the screen too small....did you go double Din?? would love to know as facing this dilemma

Thanks so much Jamie

Stebo

RMS Regular
OP
Stebo
Drives
Defender 110
I still have the JCV headunit - the screen on the single din is spot on.

The only thing I'm not fond of is the colour of the headunit, which is blue and quite bright at night. It's worth the compromise for the reversing cam though. My wife finds it very useful at school where there's kids running wild everywhere!

Would be ideal if I could find a "less flash" looking headunit with single din screen, but until then I'm very happy with the JCV unit.

jabw51

Drives
LR Defender
Thanks for that - yes will be good for hooking up the trailers as have an ifor canopy on mine so vis is poor.

Now to work out if I can fit Central locking despite it being the later model Alarm module....

Stebo

RMS Regular
OP
Stebo
Drives
Defender 110
I have a small camera mounted just below the door. I can get a good wide angle behind me, and just about see the top of the tow-bar. Makes hooking up to heavy trailers a piece of cake!

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
Just found this thread while looking for something else, heath to enjoy she looks clean! if your local to Armagh and stuck for parts I normally keep a good selection of bits around lol :confounded:

Stebo

RMS Regular
OP
Stebo
Drives
Defender 110
Just found this thread while looking for something else, heath to enjoy she looks clean! if your local to Armagh and stuck for parts I normally keep a good selection of bits around lol :confounded:
(y) Will keep you in mind