Lanes/Targa Rallies

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
They have switched to an online entry form now so as soon as it goes live everyone jumps on it. You need to be on the targa rally facebook groups so you get an alert to say the entry is live as there is no way to know when it will happen.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Before the next Targa rally there will be four Navigation Rallies for you to get out and enjoy.

The first Nav Rally of the year is the UAC Firecracker this Friday night (16th February) run in the Ballynahinch/Dromore area.
Association of Northern Ireland Car Clubs

This will be a great rally, especially as an introduction to the sport for new competitors. I was involved in writing the route instruction and they are very straightforward. There is also a new Introductory class for crews that have never done a nav rally before, perfect for Targa competitors.

Nav rallying does not require any special equipment, most crews will be in standard road car, and you will be provided with a map to mark your route. All you need is a pencil and a head torch or similar to read the map in the car. Nav rallying is a great way to get involved in local grassroots motorsport and brilliant way to meet some like minded people. Entry fee is only £20 so there is no reason not to give it a try.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Is there anywhere good to watch from?

The best view is from inside your car!
Seriously, there is no reason not to give it a go and take part. Most people will be out in standards cars, no special equipment needed, no rally licence or anything. All you need is a light and a pencil.

The route is secret so I can't give you any locations, but the start is at Temple Golf Club.
Google Maps

Gaz86

RMS Regular
The best view is from inside your car!
Seriously, there is no reason not to give it a go and take part. Most people will be out in standards cars, no special equipment needed, no rally licence or anything. All you need is a light and a pencil.

The route is secret so I can't give you any locations, but the start is at Temple Golf Club.
Google Maps

Oh no doubt.... but my MX5 is in the garage, uninsured and with no mot, and there’s no chance I’m rallying my daily so no chance of that lol might just turn up anyway and if I can find a vantage point somewhere I’ll watch for a bit

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Oh no doubt.... but my MX5 is in the garage, uninsured and with no mot, and there’s no chance I’m rallying my daily so no chance of that lol might just turn up anyway and if I can find a vantage point somewhere I’ll watch for a bit
It’s run at a 30mph average on open public roads - why would you not take your daily?? I used my daily for years with never an issue. Most would use their daily drivers or even better, the wife’s.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
It’s run at a 30mph average on open public roads - why would you not take your daily?? I used my daily for years with never an issue. Most would use their daily drivers or even better, the wife’s.

Didn’t know it was on open roads or at 30mph, not what I imagined at all if I’m honest

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Including Kris Meeke if I recall correctly.

And current NI stage rally junior champion Gareth Deazley.
And international stage rally navigator and member of the MSA Academy Aaron Johnston.
And CoC of the Ulster rally for many years Lewis Boyd.
And head man at Rallyscore Paddy McCollum.

Navigation rallying is a great starting point no matter what direction your motorsport ambitions are in.

Deleted member 13907

D
I'd love to give this a bash in the rusty old Polo :joy:
Is it just a case of ensuring the car has tax/mot/insurance and paying £20 entry, or is there more to it than that?

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Is it just a case of ensuring the car has tax/mot/insurance and paying £20 entry, or is there more to it than that?

The Firecracker has classes for first time competitors so turning up in a road legal car is pretty much all you need. A pencil and torch will be handy too.
Your road car insurance policy wont cover you for a rally so there is another insurance policy that you sign up for on the night, there are details at the end of the rally regulations.

Deleted member 13907

D
The Firecracker has classes for first time competitors so turning up in a road legal car is pretty much all you need. A pencil and torch will be handy too.
Your road car insurance policy wont cover you for a rally so there is another insurance policy that you sign up for on the night, there are details at the end of the rally regulations.
I took a look on the website there - don’t think I could make it down in time for scrutiny. Will look into the next one though.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Just over a week to go now until the next Nav rally and first event in the 2018 Navigation Rally Challenge, the Enniskillen Motor Club Erne Safari Rally on Friday 2nd March.
The rally will start in Irvinestown and has an entry fee of only £20. There will be a full range of classes so it will suit crews of all abilities.

Enniskillen Motor Club

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
I hadn't realised that I didn't have the info up here, but the next Nav rally is this Friday night, the 9th March, in Dungannon.

2018 Hobson Electronics Snowdrop

If you are interested in taking part please get in contact with the club today and let them know.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
The rescheduled Erne Safari rally has been confirmed for Friday 23rd of March 2018.
All previous entries still stand and the club will also accept new entries.
Enniskillen Motor Club

Just one week after the Erne Safari we have the Cookstown Souse Developments nav rally on Friday 30th March 2018. This should be a great rally and will include some special tests to further entertain the crews.
Events | Cookstown Motor Club

Mk4sup

RMS Regular
Morning guys wondering if anyone here could field a few questions from a newb planning on doing my first targa in next few months.

Mk4sup

RMS Regular
Good man cheers. It will be an mx5 (points for originality), would you suggest any initial prep other than sump guard for piece of mind? Tyres- can you suggest what most people run? Something to limit punctures would be helpful or do you find that’s not really an issue?

Is FB the place to watch for applications opening, I see they tend to fill up pretty quick when they are opened?

Other than that any helpful tips for a starter would be greatly appreciated, ta!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
No problems with an MX5, that's what I'm using. I was previously in an MG ZR 1400 to see if I liked it and bought the MX5 cos they are good craic.
Most people run Toyo R1R's as they have really good sidewalls and don't easily puncture. They aren't cheap but you can get 3 events from a set before they are toast.

Sump guard is always a good idea but arguably a diff guard is more important on MX5's because the PPF bolts stick down so much that it's easy to get a big hit on the diff case and snap one of the arms that go out to the bushes. I got mine from @PeteMoore who runs Brookfab ( Aanmelden of registreren om te bekijken ) and they have been excellent. I had both guards in ally but the diff guard was taking so much abuse that I swapped back to steel. Another key thing is to keep the front undertray even if you have to cut it to fit the sump guard. Mine didn't have one when I got one and I was tortured with muck and water splashing up around the belts and causing issues with the alternator.

I've kept the standard suspension at standard height and it is the best compromise across the variation of surfaces and roughness etc that you get. Obviously, you can spend loads but that takes it well away from being budget motorsport.

Yeah, there are a couple of groups that are good for keeping tabs on upcoming events but the complete calendar is on the ANICC website. ( Association of Northern Ireland Car Clubs )
Targas, Tests & Trials
Targas, Lanes and Trials Info Page

Have fun!! (y)

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I use 195/50 or 195/55 on a 6x15 standard MX5 rim. I've gathered up loads of them so I can swap out rims and carry full size spares etc.

This is my thread on my car that I've had for a couple of years. MX-5 Lanes car

Last edited:

John_MK5

RMS Regular
I can sort you out with a sump and diff guard if needed :grinning:
IMG_9594.JPG
IMG_9591.JPG