Lanes/Targa Rallies

KevM

RMS Regular
I ran an MX5 on a couple of rallies with no guards at all. I had coil-overs so raised the car a bit. It was ok on the majority of stages but you were backing off on the rough stuff where you could probably have went harder if you knew the underside was protected. I was lucky too, some of the stages I was on could really wreck a sump/diff.

You’ll soon want a hydraulic handbrake too ;)

Dwd

RMS Member
Drives
starlet
Ive heard some are using uprated springs with standard shocks on MX5s to good effect. Anyone know anything about this?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Nope, also interested!! I'm using standard Mk 2.5 Bilstiens and matching springs which are way too soft. Need to loose a ton of weight out of the car to help it a bit and also stop carrying 2 spares on the shorter events.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
That would be the jab. Not cheap though but nothing really good is cheap. Do they last well between rebuilds?

John_MK5

RMS Regular
i had a set of standard spec gaz ghas in for 4 years before a rebuild. £25 a corner to rebuild.

Mk4sup

RMS Regular
Anyone do A29 today? Was my first one, not quite what I was expecting at all but still great fun!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah I did some of it lol. I gave up after the first loop as some of the tests weren't laid out per the diagrams and there was no space to actually make the manouvre. Deffo not a normal Targa but some tests were great craic such as the slate fuels one. Took nearly 3 hours to complete the first loop so I thought we would be there all night. Maybe a hasty decision but there were plenty that weren't happy. I really enjoyed the last few years there but hopefully this year was a blip and next year will be back to normal service.

Mk4sup

RMS Regular
I think there were quite a few upset people! I called it a day at 5pm with 3 tests still to do. You can imagine my navigators face opening the page at slate fuels (was his first too).

neil-c

RMS Regular
So I'm looking to get something sorted for the Targa rallies. Possibly could even be looking for 2 cars as there are 4 of us interested in taking part. I've had a quick chat with a guy who owns a MX5 and does a few of them plus I see from the results pages that a few of my mates from school also do them regularly so I'll need to get on contact and bend their ears.

What should I be looking out for when buying a car? I'm probably looking for a MX5 like everyone else but unsure whether to look for one already kitted out for Targa or to do it myself from one I find. I've heard that the rules on hydraulic handbrakes are changing next year so maybe an original car is the way to go?

If anyone knows of anything going at the right money give me a shout.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
So I'm looking to get something sorted for the Targa rallies. Possibly could even be looking for 2 cars as there are 4 of us interested in taking part. I've had a quick chat with a guy who owns a MX5 and does a few of them plus I see from the results pages that a few of my mates from school also do them regularly so I'll need to get on contact and bend their ears.

What should I be looking out for when buying a car? I'm probably looking for a MX5 like everyone else but unsure whether to look for one already kitted out for Targa or to do it myself from one I find. I've heard that the rules on hydraulic handbrakes are changing next year so maybe an original car is the way to go?

If anyone knows of anything going at the right money give me a shout.

Buy something cheap, do a couple of events in it to see if you like the sport, chat to everyone you meet, then buy a more suitable car.
Just get started, don't spend anymore time thinking about it.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
^ Good advice. MX5's are good craic, I have one and do a few events. Having said that, you can get into the events in anything and cheaply too. MX5's carry a premium and a lot of people take advantage of that with dogs being passed off as solid cars that need loads spending on them to make them safe never mind fast. I started in an MG ZR and tbh sometimes I wish I'd stayed there but either way, it is great craic.
My lanes car thread is here for an insight into the rusty perils of MX5 ownership lol : MX-5 Lanes car

neil-c

RMS Regular
Thanks @RallyCiaran, probably sound advice. I should just buy something and come along but at the same time don't want to waste money buying a car and trashing it on gravel lanes.

@FM155 I actually read your full thread yesterday afternoon - it had lots of useful info!

I see that there is a MX5 for sale on gumtree for about £1850 on gumtree which already has a cage, sump/diff gards and hydro. It doesn't mention whether it has a LSD but it's a 1.6 so I assume not. Do either of you know the car?

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
There is a starlet for sale on one of the targa facebook pages for £500, looks a tidy car, you will never lose money on it at that price.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Sorry, don't know the car. A 1.6 would be a fine thing to learn in alright but unless it is completely rust free, that's quite strong money for something that could get frigged on the first rally you enter.

swervygerdy

RMS Regular
any truth in the rumour that this year, clubs will enforce the hydraulic hand brake rule, ie no more vertical style levers, has to be off the original mechanical lever?

I know it's been a grey area for a while but was told this year it'll be enforced.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Hard to say but I wouldn't be surprised. The 2020 rules actually allow a seperate lever but the max arc is up to 50 degrees from horizontal so it's not a complete ban.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
My understanding of pre event scrutineering is that it is for safety purposes, not for compliance to the technical regulations. They shouldn't be interested in the position of your handbrake.
It would be up to another competitor to protest your car if they thought you hasn't complied to the technical regulations.

The issue however would be that if there was an accident, and the car didn't comply to the technical regulations for the event, it may be a reason for an insurance company to not stand over a claim.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
This is the relevant section from the MSUK blue book, 2020 edition.
R18.6.3 Handbrakes.jpg

swervygerdy

RMS Regular
Any of the mx5 guys tried "floflex bushes"? Seem to be getting mixed reviews online but I'd like to hear from someone who has tried them on our lanes....

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Thread Bump!!!

Anyone entering the Enniskillen Targa?

I'm taking my Road car Eunos which is really clean so hopefully it doesn't get destroyed :joy:

My & Co Driver's first time so it will be a bit hectic I'm sure.. lol she's worried about the notes!

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Should be a laugh, would love a hydro but wont have one fitted in time! Anyone any previous notes for a look over? I assume its just tulips etc

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Entered last night, seen their video which looks like the tests will be open and flowing hopefully. Got a few test diagrams alright but I'd have to dig them out. Tulips are used for the road book to take you between tests and the tests have diagrams that try to describe what it looks like, some are good, some are terrible but that's part of the challenge. This looks like not having a hydro wouldn't be too much of a disadvantage maybe but very hard to say until you see the diagrams on the morning of the event.

Reactions: WSK