Lawnmower

Bob CRX

RMS Regular
Drives
s20000
Hey, looking advice on a new lawnmower. Would prefer battery but petrol a close second. Just wondering what sort of size of garden the battery ones will do without needing a re charge. Can’t be arsed doing half then waiting a day to do the rest if it needs it.

Cheers!

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
Hey, looking advice on a new lawnmower. Would prefer battery but petrol a close second. Just wondering what sort of size of garden the battery ones will do without needing a re charge. Can’t be arsed doing half then waiting a day to do the rest if it needs it.

Cheers!

You'd go with Ego, head and shoulders over anything else out there at the minute. No stock at the minute, we've been told 2022 stock will start arriving at the end of this month and be all in by end of Feb.

Price depends on size, a mid range 56 volt 19 inch self drive will run for 40 mins on the battery it comes (5.0ah) with and is £535 this year, next years price not announced yet. A charge takes 35-40 mins. A spare battery is available for £50 when buying a machine (2.5ah). Mulch kit and roller kit both available as add on's.

Last edited:

e320mark

RMS Regular

Cheers!
I have a battery one new in the box for sale if your interested!

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Anything of note available currently @lightning ???

My trusty old bosch leccy corded one just coughed and died a death after many years faithful service… 🤦🏻‍♂️

Corded or battery cordless would possibly tempt me? Bout half hour does our grass front and back so one charge would hopefully suffice!!!

Thanks 🙏

Bob CRX

RMS Regular
OP
Bob CRX
Drives
s20000
Just on this. I bought the ego. It ran for 30 mins on full charge on the fist cut. Since then it’s about 50mins.

Well pleased with it. Will be back up soon for the strimmer

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
Just on this. I bought the ego. It ran for 30 mins on full charge on the fist cut. Since then it’s about 50mins.

Well pleased with it. Will be back up soon for the strimmer

Probably buying the strimmer kit would be good then you'll have an extra battery for the mower.
Anything of note available currently @lightning ???

My trusty old bosch leccy corded one just coughed and died a death after many years faithful service… 🤦🏻‍♂️

Corded or battery cordless would possibly tempt me? Bout half hour does our grass front and back so one charge would hopefully suffice!!!

Thanks 🙏

Most of the ego ones are in stock, the 19" would be the best as the 5 ah does 50 mins, the 17" is a bit cheaper but only comes with the 2.5 which will do half the time so you'd need a second battery at £100 so you may as well buy the bigger one, or get a cuppa and wait on a charge.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Probably buying the strimmer kit would be good then you'll have an extra battery for the mower.

Most of the ego ones are in stock, the 19" would be the best as the 5 ah does 50 mins, the 17" is a bit cheaper but only comes with the 2.5 which will do half the time so you'd need a second battery at £100 so you may as well buy the bigger one, or get a cuppa and wait on a charge.

Thanks for coming back to me… father in law tested the cable and found a break in it, as much as I’d love a cordless think I’m gna be stuck wi this un for a while longer

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Sorry, thread bump.
@lightning - I was researching Honda battery mowers earlier and then found this thread. Hadn't heard of Ego before today. I have a 460m2 lawn at the back (21m x 23m roughly minus a bit of patio) and something similar around the front but I rarely do both the same day. Would the 5ah cover that area you reckon?

My old hayter has lost drive and pushing it around is getting old quickly.

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
Sorry, thread bump.
@lightning - I was researching Honda battery mowers earlier and then found this thread. Hadn't heard of Ego before today. I have a 460m2 lawn at the back (21m x 23m roughly minus a bit of patio) and something similar around the front but I rarely do both the same day. Would the 5ah cover that area you reckon?

My old hayter has lost drive and pushing it around is getting old quickly.

Yes it will do 800 on a charge. Unfortunately stock isn’t good and getting worse. We have some 17” but push only, some 20” and some 22”. 19” is probs July at this stage.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Yes it will do 800 on a charge. Unfortunately stock isn’t good and getting worse. We have some 17” but push only, some 20” and some 22”. 19” is probs July at this stage.
Drive would be nice so I would be happy to wait until stock sorts itself out. Would you be able to let me know when you have stuff in or should I check back with you? What sort of money is the 20" with the battery?

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
Drive would be nice so I would be happy to wait until stock sorts itself out. Would you be able to let me know when you have stuff in or should I check back with you? What sort of money is the 20" with the battery?

£750, it’s drive and the only one in the range metal bodied.

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
Sounds good. I've just watched a few YouTube videos and I'm impressed. If you can let me know when the 20" or over are in stock again, I'll grab one. 👍🏻

We have the 20 and 22” ones in stock now. Only the 19” are sold out.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
So I bought an Ego LM2021E from Denis Wilson at the start of the month and thought it was time to give some feedback.

I drove up to Glenavy and had a good walk around the shop (I wasn't lost, honest) and found the mower section, all organised by brand and well presented. I believe it was Stephen who came to help and answered all my questions so I bought one and took it home.

Out of the box the battery (5.0ah) had 2 of 5 leds up so stuck it on charge in the garage and went to do something else. Next day, went to cut the lawn and took the battery off the charger - checked the leds - 3 of 5 lit up. Odd. Stuck it back on charge and started into trimming hedges instead and checking it was still running (the rapid charger has a fan that keeps the battery cool while charging and it's quite audible) only for it to suddenly stop. Checked the leds, 5 lights this time. Great, so I take the mower out to the front lawn and start mowing and judging the correct height. The 1st led is out in less than 2 minutes. Hmm, OK.

I crack on anyway, avoiding the self drive to conserve power (it's so much lighter than my old hayter it isn't needed really for my lawns) and just about get the front done before the Leds are all out. Starting to worry now. I contact Ego via their "ask a question" form, never did get a reply. I emailed Denis Wilson support and got a reply from Michelle straight away who checked with servicing who said that some new batteries take a while to take full charge. OK, I'll keep it going for a while. Besides, the mower itself gave a great cut and took me half the time the old hayter did.

The charging hoopla continued. It would charge for 5 or 10 minutes at a time before eventually the battery said it was full. Started into the back lawn, immediately shows 4 leds when I start cutting. I got about 2/3s before the battery gave up. Really annoyed now but stuck it back on charge. This time however, the battery charged to full over 50 mins. No having to manage it, take it off the charger and put it back on. I finished the back lawn and it still had 5 leds when I was done. Even did the front lawn again and still had 1 led left. I cut the back again a week later (after another full charge) and this time had 2 leds left. Looks like Michelle and the service guys were right.

I guess perhaps with it sitting in a stockroom it needed a few charges to get going, but I now absolutely love it. The mower is easy to clean, so simple to use and it can even be stored upright. It's relatively quieter than my old mower too. I did sleep in a bit when comparing it to its bigger brother as it comes a with a bagging blade which would be handy for wet grass but that's a very minor complaint. And as I mentioned, the cut is really good as I well.

So bar the initial hiccups with the battery, I'm really pleased with my purchase and I'm now considering the strimmer and leaf blower as well. Thanks to @lightning for the recommendation.

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
So I bought an Ego LM2021E from Denis Wilson at the start of the month and thought it was time to give some feedback.

I drove up to Glenavy and had a good walk around the shop (I wasn't lost, honest) and found the mower section, all organised by brand and well presented. I believe it was Stephen who came to help and answered all my questions so I bought one and took it home.

Out of the box the battery (5.0ah) had 2 of 5 leds up so stuck it on charge in the garage and went to do something else. Next day, went to cut the lawn and took the battery off the charger - checked the leds - 3 of 5 lit up. Odd. Stuck it back on charge and started into trimming hedges instead and checking it was still running (the rapid charger has a fan that keeps the battery cool while charging and it's quite audible) only for it to suddenly stop. Checked the leds, 5 lights this time. Great, so I take the mower out to the front lawn and start mowing and judging the correct height. The 1st led is out in less than 2 minutes. Hmm, OK.

I crack on anyway, avoiding the self drive to conserve power (it's so much lighter than my old hayter it isn't needed really for my lawns) and just about get the front done before the Leds are all out. Starting to worry now. I contact Ego via their "ask a question" form, never did get a reply. I emailed Denis Wilson support and got a reply from Michelle straight away who checked with servicing who said that some new batteries take a while to take full charge. OK, I'll keep it going for a while. Besides, the mower itself gave a great cut and took me half the time the old hayter did.

The charging hoopla continued. It would charge for 5 or 10 minutes at a time before eventually the battery said it was full. Started into the back lawn, immediately shows 4 leds when I start cutting. I got about 2/3s before the battery gave up. Really annoyed now but stuck it back on charge. This time however, the battery charged to full over 50 mins. No having to manage it, take it off the charger and put it back on. I finished the back lawn and it still had 5 leds when I was done. Even did the front lawn again and still had 1 led left. I cut the back again a week later (after another full charge) and this time had 2 leds left. Looks like Michelle and the service guys were right.

I guess perhaps with it sitting in a stockroom it needed a few charges to get going, but I now absolutely love it. The mower is easy to clean, so simple to use and it can even be stored upright. It's relatively quieter than my old mower too. I did sleep in a bit when comparing it to its bigger brother as it comes a with a bagging blade which would be handy for wet grass but that's a very minor complaint. And as I mentioned, the cut is really good as I well.

So bar the initial hiccups with the battery, I'm really pleased with my purchase and I'm now considering the strimmer and leaf blower as well. Thanks to @lightning for the recommendation.

Good review thanks. Some batteries take a few charges to get to full performance but the warranty is good if there’s any issues.

Last edited:

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Good review thanks. Some batteries take a few charges to get to full performance but the warranty is good is there’s any issues.
Yep, I should've believed what Michelle told me. 😂

I wasn't trying to **** on the product or the service from you guys by the way, just wanted to give an honest assessment of the mower which I love. It's actually turned from being a chore to being a good hours peace out of the house. I'm looking forward to getting the strimmer and leaf blower now.

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
Yep, I should've believed what Michelle told me. 😂

I wasn't trying to **** on the product or the service from you guys by the way, just wanted to give an honest assessment of the mower which I love. It's actually turned from being a chore to being a good hours peace out of the house. I'm looking forward to getting the strimmer and leaf blower now.

A spare 2.5 amp would get the whole place rounded up probably so maybe buy one of the tools as a pack and the other body only.