learn sumthing new everyday

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

rembem

Hi all, first post here so may as well get something answered thats bin bugging me.

Is there a law regarding caffeine and driving? I ask as i had an incident a couple of weeks back...

I play drums in a punk rock band and turned up to a practise after working hard all day so was pretty knackered, so needed perking up. After 4 cans of redbull and a few of those caffienated mints i was pretty lively, plus i had been drinking coffee all day (as most people do)

At the end of the practise i felt pretty weird, obviously too much caffeine. Now is there a law or anything regarding this? and does it cover anything else such as cough medicine etc?

Essex Escy replied

driving uder the influence??

Cruise Liaison Officers replied

Section 4, Road Traffic Act 1988

'A person who, when driving or attempting to drive a motor vehicle on a road or other public place, is unfit to drive through drink or drugs is guilty of an offence.'

If police could prove that

a) Your driving was affected

b) It was due to caffeine in your blood, yes you could be prosecuted.

The tricky bit is detecting exactly what the drug is. Some officers are trained in Field Impairment Tessting, and it is amazing how acurately you can predict which drugs someone has taken from physical signs, but caffeine is not a drug we would be looking for. Routine lab tests screen for common types of drug but I don't know if they would show up caffeine.

The point is though, if it makes you feel bad, should you be driving?
Caffeine has a nasty trick of perking you up in the short term, but equally causing you to become tired very rapidly, so you can suddenly shutdown, which is not good if you are driving. The only cure for feeling tired is sleep.

The law applies to anything that is a drug, either legal, illegal or prescribed drugs.

And Red Bull is banned in France on health grounds due to the chemicals in it!!

Dave Cole

Sgt Steve Harvey and Pc Andy Warnes, Central Area Road Policing, Wymondham.

Inspector Paul Rush and A/Sgt Dave Cole Western Area Road Policing, Swaffham.

GoToInstant-Redline replied

thats a very interesting point.
so its more of a question of, are you fit to drive, rather than what have you had if the substances are legal. make sence to me.

"Glucuronolactone is a naturally-occurring metabolite, a carbohydrate produced by the human metabolic system.
a can of Red Bull contains 600 mg of the substance per can, which has been suggested is 250 times a person's normal daily intake. No proof has yet emerged that this would pose a danger of any sort, but it is a large enough number in itself to evoke concern.

Denmark, Canada, Malaysia, and France have banned the sale of Red Bull. These countries cite concern over the beverage's high level of caffeine."

without a doubt caffeine is the most toxic substance in your house! by weight its more lethal to you than petrol or acertone(nail poslish remover) by around a hundred times.

i'd stick to 8 hours sleep if i were your

so totally never knew this

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
fifth gear i think it was had a debate on this and tested it but too stoned too think :confounded:hock:

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
It effects you driving and therefore is classified as a "stimulant" however blood sugar levels would have to be taken at the time, or you must be willing to consent to a urine test etc to see if you where either dangoursly "pumped up" on stimulants.

If neither where taken they cannot prove anything, and all you need to say was you where consuming a single can.

Its exactly the same as taking to many prozac or similar anti-depresants or anythnig which alters your state of mental awareness.

However if you refuse to take the tests you are essentially pleeding guilty, its not a grey area, its just one that would be looked into more if you had an accident etc and they where taking blood samples for drink/drugs etc and this could be brought into question also.

vibe_kid

RMS Regular
Drives
Deng Deng Deng
as i said to ya on bc remy :grinning:

well caffiene can cause heart palputations as u know and one of them hard enuff could cause seizure.. near 3 litres of tesco kick in an hour was enuff to send me to hospital with bad pains in my liver and shaking with heart palputations so id sy it cood be dangerous if driving

ak

RMS Regular
hmmm I live of various caffeine products, you're all scaring the crap outta me..

buff

RMS Regular
Drives
Jimny
id drink a lot of red bull on a night out if im driving. but its ***'s me up big time, id rather be pished lol

i always get a sore head, stomach and feel shaky lol :? anyonge else get that?

im fine if its with vodka though :laughing:

vibe_kid

RMS Regular
Drives
Deng Deng Deng
buff said:
id drink a lot of red bull on a night out if im driving. but its ***'s me up big time, id rather be pished lol

i always get a sore head, stomach and feel shaky lol :? anyonge else get that?

im fine if its with vodka though :laughing:

the stomach and shakey isnt good.... thats not far off rolling on the floor in pain from what i remember.. u can have a heart attack right an easy on that gear

rembem

OP
R
not accordin to the police it aint

small doses yas go ahead but wen it starts to influence ur drivin uhoh

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Its not the dosage, it works in the same way as booze, ie how much food you have eaten that day, how much glucose is already in your blood stream, how quickly your body can break down the additional caffine etc.

IE, tis not a good idea to neck 500 cans of the stuff and try and enter the worlds record for "sitting still and not fidigting contest."

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
rembem said:
not accordin to the police it aint

small doses yas go ahead but wen it starts to influence ur drivin uhoh

the police have never said caffeine is unsafe... :?:

caffeine is a useful stimulant in many ways, its contained in some headache medicines and as heartbeat stimulants...

unless you start popping caffeine pills you're fine, though you'd have to ask yourself why you're needing to take those pills in the first place..
the police can't and won't be able to test for caffeine as it binds to cellular receptors and doesnt circulate in the blood.

if you've OD'd on caffeine the police will assume you've taken something much more illegal as it can cause your pupils to dilate etc..

Neil_M

RMS Regular
I dont think there is a problem with caffine at all. There is no way they it could be classified as "more dangerous" to the likes of red bull anyway.

Over a year ago the AA brought in a scheme where service stations would sell cans of a stiumulant drink (seemed to be a rebadged form of red bull), purely for the reason that people driving late at nites become tired.

It must be noted that effects of red bull are short lived. And it doesnt make much of a difference after a while or frequent use :grinning:.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.