Learner driver insurance.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
I think the difference is if she has an accident as a named driver under your policy, your no claims takes the hit. If she has the bolt on insurance then your no claims is safe - at least that was my reading of it.
I’m with Admiral and their bolt on learner insurance isn’t available in NI so I just kept Ella on my policy. I think Marmalade cover here though.
I find being out with a learner driver tough going on the nerves! I’m not a great passenger though. Best of luck to you.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
I think the difference is if she has an accident as a named driver under your policy, your no claims takes the hit. If she has the bolt on insurance then your no claims is safe - at least that was my reading of it.
I’m with Admiral and their bolt on learner insurance isn’t available in NI so I just kept Ella on my policy. I think Marmalade cover here though.
I find being out with a learner driver tough going on the nerves! I’m not a great passenger though. Best of luck to you.

Marmalade don’t cover NI anymore. My wee fella was with them last year and we paid £900 fully comp on his own insurance without having it as learner then changing it. He is now on our multi car policy. He has a 1.6i zetec s fiesta.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Marmalade are quoting me ok for the Learner Driver insurance here in NI. As above the benefit seems to be my NCD doesn’t take a hit if something goes wrong.
Marmalade don’t cover NI anymore. My wee fella was with them last year and we paid £900 fully comp on his own insurance without having it as learner then changing it. He is now on our multi car policy. He has a 1.6i zetec s fiesta.

Assume the Fiesta is in his own name and do you mind me asking what kind of cost? Don’t think the Mini will be cheap but I liked the car for her 😜

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Marmalade are quoting me ok for the Learner Driver insurance here in NI. As above the benefit seems to be my NCD doesn’t take a hit if something goes wrong.

Assume the Fiesta is in his own name and do you mind me asking what kind of cost? Don’t think the Mini will be cheap but I liked the car for her 😜

That’s really good if they are, we didn’t opt for the learner insurance as when he would have passed it went up a lot. He was with marmalade with a black box but not time restricted. It was £937 fully comp under his own name with the missus and me on it aswell.

This year is coming in around £1,500 ish but we have added him to our multi car policy until renewal time in May. Marmalade give him a full years ncb but he didn’t pass until June so some companies locally can’t fathom that so won’t acknowledge it.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
@jonny_w how do you work with the black box if you or your wife are driving. Does it not see you as being very bad drivers given you will be doing more than the 45 he is allowed.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
@jonny_w how do you work with the black box if you or your wife are driving. Does it not see you as being very bad drivers given you will be doing more than the 45 he is allowed.

You all can download the app and once you get in you mark who is driving. It can be really sensitive, he was sitting parked at the house one night and before he moved off I answered my phone and he got marked down as I was in the car.

eamon343

RMS Regular
What happens with the black boxes? Get so many points and they charge you more or stop your insurance?

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Yea it starts as a warning, then an increase and another increase before they cancel. They are really good to deal with

billyboker

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus
Old thread but better than starting a new one.
We our looking to use Marmalade insurance to teach the son to drive but looking online it only says car owners details. My wife owns the car i am a named driver and i would be the one taking my son out.
Does it matter as long as i am insured to drive the car or is it only the owner of the car/policy.
He wants to start tomorrow but not happy i have said wait to Monday when i can call them.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
I don’t think it makes any odds who supervises him so long as they are a qualified driver. The learner insurance sits alongside the policy your wife has for the car so maybe that’s why they ask who owns the car.