Lease deals thread

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
i dont get these lease deals but thats in my ignorance as im sure they are more beneficial due to depreciation. Do they still work out well for someone doing 500 miles a week?

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
i dont get these lease deals but thats in my ignorance as im sure they are more beneficial due to depreciation. Do they still work out well for someone doing 500 miles a week?

When the deal is cheap and car is great from the factory, then they beat owning it by a mile due to depreciation like you mentioned :grinning:

I think the highest they will go mileage wise is 20k, so you'd have 5k miles excess mileage each year to pay for, on top of the already more expensive contract you'll have due to requesting 20k in the first place.

I may be wrong, though and there might be deals for 25-30k.

Last edited:

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
What about these deals for more 'average' people movers ? Not sw@nky/sporty/German. Bound to be a lot cheaper no ? Focus's mondeos etc

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Is this not just like paying someone elses mortgage when renting a house?
So really you are just covering the drop in depreciation for the manufacturer who will just punt it on into the trade after 3 years, having made a few quid off you in interest fees while meeting their sales targets.
I dont see the benefit of a lease deal at all unless your job(employer) pays for it or you get a mileage allowance which pays for it. I prefer to own things but thats just me....

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I can understand how it can be a saving, if you buy a new car every 3 years then the cost per month of the lease, could be lower than the cost per month in depreciation if you bought outright. With items also included in the lease that you would be paying yourself if you bought outright, plus 3 years later you just collect another, on another lease. No advertising/selling

Depends what your after in life. Its depreciation i could never swallow, 3 or 4 years old will do me fine, after someone else has took the bumming

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
I want buy brand new, just once, so I can experience it and get the exact car I want.

Dave..

RMS Regular
My car is leased through my business, it was 7 months old and a Mercedes demo.
For me it is just another expense, I will keep it for 2-3 years and get something else.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'm never not paying something each month for a car! I can't remember the last time I didn't have a couple of hundred quid set aside at the start of the month to either pay a loan or bill or buy a wee part, etc. Most stuff I've bought also decreased in value. Having a month with £0 to pay for the motor just doesn't happen unless you're driving scrap or something rare.

Horses for courses agreed but its only a matter of simple mathematics to figure out what's a good deal and what's not. Never really saw a difference between paying £10k and owning a £2k car at the end or paying £8k and handing the thing back.

Depreciation is pretty much a certainty for any daily driver, of course there are a few rare exceptions; wannabe dealer types tarting scrap up as mint, sub £2k runabouts, rare cars that would have you on the edge of your seat every time you parked it and long wait list stuff.

I'm very much in the £2k category but understand why certain options work for certain folk.

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
If it's losing money...rent it
If it's making money...buy it

I might be totally wrong here but there are some guys on this forum with beautiful new cars ie £60k+, I doubt any of them shelled out £60k cash out of there own pockets to buy them,(None of my business if they did or not) why spend your own money when you can spend someone else's??

I know if I had £30k in my bank I wouldn't splash it on a car, I'd rather spend £300 per month and have that cash in the bank for security!!

In saying that I own all my cars, was tempted for the new Golf R, but I missed that boat thinking too long about it lol

Going to be looking at deals on a Golf GTD soon

Last edited:

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
It's £659 a month!

And £10k deposit!

I could move out of the house and save £40 p/m. That is a bonkers amount to pay for a car each month.

A couple of months ago I got the wife a new corsa on pcp (hand it back after 3 years) and tbh everytime I walk past it I'm a bit disappointed on myself for signing up for it lol. The only positive is its brand new under warranty, has service pack included and I don't need to worry about her being stranded somewhere broken down with the kids.

As tempting as some of the recent lease deals are (golf r) I don't think I'd ever lease a toy, just wouldn't get the same enjoyment from it. Horses for courses.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Is there a particular reason for limiting the annual mileage? If I look at the mileage I do annually, I live 5 miles from work, but manage to rack up about 8000 miles per year in the Legacy, about 2-3000miles in the Z3, about 2000 miles on the Fireblade and about 2000 on the MSX. OK, it means they can charge you more £££ per mile over their guide, but if I'd kids to bring to school that'd probably add another few 1000 miles to the total annual mileage.

Saying that, once my mortgage is gone I'll be looking at E63's (or the equivelent) within the next 8-10 years.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
2.0 TDI golf is 210 ish pm inc vat for 8k. kinda tempting.

I had a new golf rental today. Had it up a relatively empty Snake's Pass and was actually depressed at how boring it was.

Completely dead, power band around 250rpm wide, cheaper inside than any Korean whitebox, understeer central, steering feel like reading brail with oven mittens on. I cannot fathom how anyone that enjoys cars or driving can own one, kitted with sik wheels or not.