Legal Tyre Tread Query

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Picked up a new car today and the outside edge of the tyre is bald. I flagged it to the dealer that it was illegal and he said it wasn’t, and it wouldn’t have got through the checks if it was. I wasn’t going to make a big deal of it so it was left that we would both do our homework. I’ve had a look online and actually can’t find anything that says it is illegal, only this which suggests its grand.

A2389D53-4EBE-4DC3-A83D-E6ECF303C396.png

Is this right? Never knew that if so, to be honest.

also had a gouge in the side wall “just in the rim protector”. Personally bad craic for an AU BMW imo.

59FDB7B1-4B98-4329-AA04-0D20611F4A4C.jpeg

2E97E38A-0CCA-4A85-9911-8BE9F259A45E.jpeg

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Technically they're right. That's a legal tyre as long as there is no chord or wire showing anywhere. The cut would need to be bigger too (25mm or 10% the width of the tyre which ever is greater). Also if you can see the structure, chord or wire again, in the damaged 'gouged' area then it would be illegal. That damage doesn't look deep enough. Seems mad but that's the law as it stands.

I'd be the same as you in wanting it changed but I doubt they'll budge as it is technically OK.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I would find it hard to believe any part of the tyre being devoid of tread being legal, despite the 75% 1.6mm rule.

And if it was a car you were buying, I'd be getting some sort of money off for new tyres.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I would find it hard to believe any part of the tyre being devoid of tread being legal, despite the 75% 1.6mm rule.

You may start believing Stevie as its true. Both shoulders could be as bald as above and as long as there is a steady minimum of 1.6mm across the central 3/4 then it's fine.

Don't get me started on moped tyres... For them all that's required is that a tread pattern is visible!

I wouldn't want to be driving on it though. Also something has caused it. I'd be wanting that sorted too before I picked the car up as its just going to happen to any new tyre you put on @Lyons and if that's a suspension issue it may not be cheap to sort (most likely just needs a good alignment though).

pablo

RMS Moderator
I got f@@ked by bmw on an AUC car too over tyres. Fronts were 3mm, one rear had been replaced and the other rear was 3mm

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
What’s the other tyres like? Is this X drive? Aren’t they super fussy about tyre treads? They probably didn’t want to change all four with new tyres.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
The others aren’t like that. All only have about 4mm.

I intend to get the alignment done anyway to try and sort whatever has caused it in the first place.

I’ll just drive away at the tyre it seems then. Still can’t believe it’s actually legal!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Parents had exact same thing with a new X3. Front passenger tyre done after hardly any mileage. Alignment checked and all dead on. Ivan said they all did that. Ended up having to replace all four tyres with star rated yokes and a reminder to rotate them.

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
I'd also be fighting them to cover the cost of 2 tyres, drive away at them for 2 or 3k and then replace as a set, X drive won't like a tread difference of more than 1 or 2 mm front to rear.

If they don't play ball would be worth a wee call to BMW customer service. I was a BMW tyre technician for 5 years, used car manager would always be reluctant to fit 4 tyres at that kinda wear but inevitably at some point before the car going out it would get them.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I'd also be fighting them to cover the cost of 2 tyres, drive away at them for 2 or 3k and then replace as a set, X drive won't like a tread difference of more than 1 or 2 mm front to rear.

If they don't play ball would be worth a wee call to BMW customer service. I was a BMW tyre technician for 5 years, used car manager would always be reluctant to fit 4 tyres at that kinda wear but inevitably at some point before the car going out it would get them.

I’m genuinely surprised they put it out like that. But as it passed their workshop and is legal there’s no way they’ll agree to anything at this stage.

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
I’m genuinely surprised they put it out like that. But as it passed their workshop and is legal there’s no way they’ll agree to anything at this stage.
It's legal but will be through to canvas in 1000 miles. Wee call to customer service, list your history with the brand, the fact you pay more for an approved used car for a reason, that it wasn't mentioned in the description of the car, not what you expect of the brand.

Did they send you a c it now video of the car? Ask for the 124 check report too

Car should have had £900 worth of tyres simple as that, what are the inside edges of the rears like, get properly under and have a look

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Yes, got a video. Also asked about tyre tread and brand and they confirmed 4mm Bridgestone, which is what they are.

You mean generic BMW customer service, not the dealership themselves? They missed 2 dents and there are a couple of bits of paint I wasn't happy with, so they have agreed to cover the cost of all that.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
yeah it's definitely legal but will echo that its disappointing for BMW AUC. I have sent a few lease cars back looking just like that and possibly a bit worse :joy::joy::joy:

richie_mck

RMS Regular
We’ve Bridgestone potenzas on our 3 series and it does that to the outer edges of our fronts

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
It would put me off buying a car if the tyre was like that. Like suspicious about alignment, bushes, suspension damage.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I wouldn’t want a tyre like that on my car. If I was looking to buy a car from a dealer with a tyre like that on it I’d be asking for it to be replaced.

Legal or not it looks poor.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
phoned customer service, but we decided it would be better to exhaust all avenues with the dealer first then they can lodge a complaint.

I sent the dealer an email there expressing my disappointment etc so will see what he says!