Legal Tyre Tread Query

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Front passenger by any chance?
Any idea what causes this? Our XC90 is doing the same, got alignment checked recently and all ok. Waiting to get a slot with mechanic to get it looked at. It's been doing it for a while but I didn't notice as had a knackered track rod and had put it down to that but got 2 new tyres and alignment around a year ago.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Any idea what causes this? Our XC90 is doing the same, got alignment checked recently and all ok. Waiting to get a slot with mechanic to get it looked at. It's been doing it for a while but I didn't notice as had a knackered track rod and had put it down to that but got 2 new tyres and alignment around a year ago.
Heavy vehicle and corners at a guess?

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Funny just the outer edge of passenger side though, drivers tyre is wearing evenly.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
I'll tell the Mrs to avoid roundabouts lol it's getting a lot of about town driving so that may explain it, but at this rate going through a tyre in a year and with covid over the past year it hasn't really been going anywhere far.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Front? The control arm bushes. Replace both sides with genuine control arms.

Keep the original ones to rebush so you can use again when the new ones go.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
As usual with these threads, I haven't read any previous posts, but here is your answer --> https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/infrastructure/tyres_1.pdf - Go to reasons for refusal

Centre 75% of the tyres minimum of 1.6mm tread and the outer edges must show visible pattern. The tyre in the pic, is legal.... Just.

So they are right, but I would imagine it wasn't a £500 car and its poor service in my opinion if it wasn't changed. Also I would be wanting the reason for the wear being investigated.
What has already been said, heavy vehicle and roundabouts. The fact its so big and heavy and steering is light, especially at low engine speeds, you don't get the same feel and don't realise how hard you are pushing into a corner.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Picked up a new car today and the outside edge of the tyre is bald. I flagged it to the dealer that it was illegal and he said it wasn’t, and it wouldn’t have got through the checks if it was. I wasn’t going to make a big deal of it so it was left that we would both do our homework. I’ve had a look online and actually can’t find anything that says it is illegal, only this which suggests its grand.

View attachment 326363

Is this right? Never knew that if so, to be honest.

also had a gouge in the side wall “just in the rim protector”. Personally bad craic for an AU BMW imo.

View attachment 326361
View attachment 326360

On the limit or not, still not nice to put a car of that money out with that on it, I wouldn't!

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d

My xc90 does the same.
It had a full alignment done for a rear tyre wear issue so I know the alignment is bang on.
As @gary1365 says I put it down to heavy car and the amount of roundabouts we have. Front passenger tyre is always going to bear the brunt of the wear.
I plan to swap sides on the front tyres to get a bit more life out of them.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
My xc90 does the same.
It had a full alignment done for a rear tyre wear issue so I know the alignment is bang on.
As @gary1365 says I put it down to heavy car and the amount of roundabouts we have. Front passenger tyre is always going to bear the brunt of the wear.
I plan to swap sides on the front tyres to get a bit more life out of them.

Since changing control arms on the wifes because I go so fed up with pulling to one side when braking sometimes I have never had uneven wear on the fronts. Previously would wear the outer edge of one side. Now it doesn't.

Same for another one that I look after for someone as a favour.

Also, is your AWD working ?

NMN

RMS Regular
Drives
Bmw
@Lyons did dealer ever come back to you? Sorted?
going through same thing myself now and wondering what your outcome was?

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Since changing control arms on the wifes because I go so fed up with pulling to one side when braking sometimes I have never had uneven wear on the fronts. Previously would wear the outer edge of one side. Now it doesn't.

Not sure if it is working, but nothing to suggest that it isn't, how could you test?

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d

The arms on it were fairly new when I got it and I haven't noticed any waywardness under breaking.

As for the AWD, I don't think it works.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
@Lyons did dealer ever come back to you? Sorted?
going through same thing myself now and wondering what your outcome was?

Nope, there was no talking to them. Spent the last couple of weeks trying to fight over the cost of some paintwork, which was a lot more expensive than a tyre. So decided just to pick my battles. A 225/40/19 is also cheaper than I anticipated, so just let it go.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Nope, there was no talking to them. Spent the last couple of weeks trying to fight over the cost of some paintwork, which was a lot more expensive than a tyre. So decided just to pick my battles. A 225/40/19 is also cheaper than I anticipated, so just let it go.
* rated tyres they're the same price as 235/35/19

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Not sure if it is working, but nothing to suggest that it isn't, how could you test?
Test one (the one you don't want to fail) climb under with the vehicle off and in P and see if you can turn the prop shaft by hand. If you can your splined sleeve at the transfer case is probably stripped.

Test two is a simple put the foot down in the wet, if the front wheels are spinning away and the traction control light is flashing away awd isn't working.
The arms on it were fairly new when I got it and I haven't noticed any waywardness under breaking.

As for the AWD, I don't think it works.

Were they genuine or lemforder do you know? I chased the annoying wear on her car for ages

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Test one (the one you don't want to fail) climb under with the vehicle off and in P and see if you can turn the prop shaft by hand. If you can your splined sleeve at the transfer case is probably stripped.

Test two is a simple put the foot down in the wet, if the front wheels are spinning away and the traction control light is flashing away awd isn't working.

Were they genuine or lemforder do you know? I chased the annoying wear on her car for ages
I've never noticed an issue with traction in any weather conditions so hopefully grand (y)

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
3F4991F8-9502-4D87-A782-9DFDD67A5BD3.jpeg

Took a dander round Boucher road last night….Seems to be the way Hursts put their high end cars cars out too! Just in general I could not get over the poor level of prep on 30/40/50 grand cars. Actually made me question the lengths I go to.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Any time I’ve bought from Hursts they use the fact the car needs new tyres or a mark sorted as part of the overall negotiation. Looked at a one series in Lisburn and was fairly set on buying it if we could use their price promise and get niggles sorted.

The response was - do you want it with the scuffs on the bumpers sorted and it serviced at that money?

J55NI

RMS Regular
View attachment 328850

Took a dander round Boucher road last night….Seems to be the way Hursts put their high end cars cars out too! Just in general I could not get over the poor level of prep on 30/40/50 grand cars. Actually made me question the lengths I go to.
A few main dealers I spoke to last year said they don't prep untill the car is sold. Scuffs, tyres and servicing etc don't get sorted until the vehicle is sold.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Any time I’ve bought from Hursts they use the fact the car needs new tyres or a mark sorted as part of the overall negotiation. Looked at a one series in Lisburn and was fairly set on buying it if we could use their price promise and get niggles sorted.

The response was - do you want it with the scuffs on the bumpers sorted and it serviced at that money?

That tyre should not be going out like that. If you're buying a car and paying big money for it, it should be mint and properly legal. Of course that assumes the tyre pictured would go out like that and not be changed first ( but then everyone knows what dealers are like )

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
That tyre should not be going out like that. If you're buying a car and paying big money for it, it should be mint and properly legal. Of course that assumes the tyre pictured would go out like that and not be changed first ( but then everyone knows what dealers are like )

Presumably it would. I’ve also seen Hursts forecourt stock go through the auction after it’s sat a while, so I guess there’s no point spending a fortune tarting something up if it might end up going through Wilson’s. My experience was they’ll do X, Y & Z ‘for me’ instead of knocking a few hundred quid off a car that has already been done.

fatboysamo

RMS Regular

Yep, one of the guys at work didn’t know his wasn’t working till he tried to go up his driveway at Christmas in some snow. His sleeve was stripped. Seems fairly common in the Volvos.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Presumably it would. I’ve also seen Hursts forecourt stock go through the auction after it’s sat a while, so I guess there’s no point spending a fortune tarting something up if it might end up going through Wilson’s. My experience was they’ll do X, Y & Z ‘for me’ instead of knocking a few hundred quid off a car that has already been done.
Have heard they have a max budget on each car, likely as they have a price promise that their cars are the cheapest out there. Have seen them say they've put 2 new tyres on a car before and just put the spare on and replaced 1 tyre. I got a used Pulsar from them last year with my dad, couldn't argue with the £ and even managed to get a few quid off (it was the 30th of the month so think he must have had to get his quota up 😜 ) was a good deal in fairness as cheaper and lower miles than anything else on the market, even in England. They put one new tyre on it though and gave him some touch in paint as it had a couple of minor marks. My dad wasn't bothered by them and I'd say a lot of people aren't overly fussy or wouldn't notice stuff like that so why would they put a few hundred into paint when maybe 90% of customers wouldn't notice the difference.

Last edited: