Lexus IS200 experiences?

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
Drives
Baguettes
Hi folks I'm sure this post will generate a lot of face palming and "buy a BMW instead" comments but I've recently found that somehow I can insure one of these for less than my 90bhp mk2 Leon TDI so it started me thinking...

All i see is people making it out like they are awful on fuel but really just how bad are they? I know its not exactly going to be as easy on fuel as my Leon but are they horrendously bad? Also, any reliability issues? I'm aware I'm probably going to have a bit of a hunt on my hands to find one that hasn't spent the past few years being driven, often sideways, by a man who favours a bottle of buckfast and 20 fresh burst but surely there will be some good ones left...

the only thing I've seen people complain reliability wise is about is the CD changer packing up which wont matter as I'll be putting an aftermarket radio of some description into it anyway and I wouldn't really call that a "reliability issue" but is there anything else I need to watch out for?

I've always liked the styling of the is200s and I think it's an itch im going to have to scratch to stop thinking about one every time I change the car. I've never had a RWD car before and they seem to be the cheapest way into a RWD car with a limited slip differential (specifically talking about the sport models here)

Any input is appreciated!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Brilliant wee cars, just a bit slow. Didn't think it was too bad on fuel tbh.

Reminded me a bit of my MX5. Extra 50bhp in one would really help!

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Usually all raked stupid (especially the sport ones) better off buying a se and putting a diff into it if that’s what you want. Cheap to buy lip kits n wheels etc but they do rot so be careful and go right under boot carpets and try getting in behind side skirts, arches etc, frequenters for making tea up front also and love their clutches. But as @pablo & @Coog say they wouldn’t pull the skin off your coffee. Straight piped they also would drive you nuts on a long droney drive....

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
So slow. And old. And slow. They were ahead of their time, very comfortable but now two decades out of date. I was hugely disappointed with mine.

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
OP
ItsAdamC
Drives
Baguettes
thanks guys, maybe a mk2 MX5 would be a better bet? My commute to work is bangor to ards and back so don't exactly need comfort and don't need practicality as we have my other halfs car for putting flat pack furniture etc in. Am I right in saying the 1.8 MK2 mx5s are also fitted with a limited slip diff?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Rifle bolt gear change, RWD, LSD, rear seats, virtually indestructible and all at a grand ish. I can't think of anything commonly about at the minute that ticks the same boxes.

Yes they're slow and yes they like to rust but for a bit of practical fun - hard to beat.

thanks guys, maybe a mk2 MX5 would be a better bet? My commute to work is bangor to ards and back so don't exactly need comfort and don't need practicality as we have my other halfs car for putting flat pack furniture etc in. Am I right in saying the 1.8 MK2 mx5s are also fitted with a limited slip diff?

Not all of them did. They also rot like crazy so be very very careful. Also great cars but again wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. In saying that you can be absolutely committed in one and hang on to some surpringly quick cars.

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
OP
ItsAdamC
Drives
Baguettes
Rifle bolt gear change, RWD, LSD, rear seats, virtually indestructible and all at a grand ish. I can't think of anything commonly about at the minute that ticks the same boxes.

Yes they're slow and yes they like to rust but for a bit of practical fun - hard to beat.

Thats exactly what's drawing me to them, its the cheapest way into a straight 6 RWD car with an LSD. They seem to be remarkably good value especially considering its a Lexus so i'd imagine a nice place to sit when you just want to go somewhere along with that if i can find one thats been looked after surely it'll have the japanese reliability?

I suppose even if I can't gel with it it'll be easy to sell it on to some eijit before the donegal rally probably for a profit...

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Thats exactly what's drawing me to them, its the cheapest way into a straight 6 RWD car with an LSD. They seem to be remarkably good value especially considering its a Lexus so i'd imagine a nice place to sit when you just want to go somewhere along with that if i can find one thats been looked after surely it'll have the japanese reliability?

I suppose even if I can't gel with it it'll be easy to sell it on to some eijit before the donegal rally probably for a profit...

MK3 2.0 sport MX5 worth a look. And if you don't need back seats, a 350z (although they're a bit more money).

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
OP
ItsAdamC
Drives
Baguettes
MK3 2.0 sport MX5 worth a look. And if you don't need back seats, a 350z (although they're a bit more money).

I look into both of those though I would imagine insurance on a 350z would be eye opening! (I'm 23)

Thanks for your help mate!

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Loved feel and drive but ultimately fuel economy too poor for the excitement levels provided. I managed mid twenties if lucky.
Mine was a tte edition sport with factory fitted broken cd changer.

77B3E638-CF93-4094-BD70-7A2C63F58FE5.jpeg

6A192C07-DCCE-44E4-AE08-A169C1C8D338.jpeg

Attachments

• 8D4AD31D-E2B9-4677-BBB7-E8A7F91B7C1F.jpeg
    8D4AD31D-E2B9-4677-BBB7-E8A7F91B7C1F.jpeg
    325.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Can’t help on the car but just a note to mind your insurance might not be so cheap with mods. Also I think you’d get more fun out of an mx5

RevT

RMS Regular
They’re great for what people buy them for to be honest. A cheap every day car that can carry 5 people comfortably, never let you down and something you can go sideways in at the weekends.

They aren’t fast, they are sore enough on petrol and clutches but it’s the best way of getting into RWD life really at the minute.

I have this wee car which I’d let go at the right money, otherwise it’s staying in the garage as an investment. It’s an LE Limited Edition model which comes with factory xenons and in the LE only colour Thundercloud Metallic. No LSD so has never been abused. I kitted and lowered it last summer and parked it up in the garage as a potential investment to see where they go with prices.

F5C495BB-4AEB-47BC-B73F-82E32DB3E220.jpeg
C6B391FC-5519-455E-AA44-49D6F4653AEE.jpeg
5B77F34C-45B7-4ABD-B437-3BDAD0221FE6.jpeg
EBC3B180-91DC-48C2-90E0-E096A2FB5D89.jpeg

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
It’s going to be a while but they’ll get up there in value after a few more Donegals, a good clean Le should do well also but even buy a diff for it and put it in the boot Trevor because they’re gonna be hard got Also

MarkM

RMS Regular
They’re great for what people buy them for to be honest. A cheap every day car that can carry 5 people comfortably, never let you down and something you can go sideways in at the weekends.

They aren’t fast, they are sore enough on petrol and clutches but it’s the best way of getting into RWD life really at the minute.

I have this wee car which I’d let go at the right money, otherwise it’s staying in the garage as an investment. It’s an LE Limited Edition model which comes with factory xenons and in the LE only colour Thundercloud Metallic. No LSD so has never been abused. I kitted and lowered it last summer and parked it up in the garage as a potential investment to see where they go with prices.

View attachment 266014View attachment 266015View attachment 266016View attachment 266017

that’s still a good looking car(y)

jonspeed04

RMS Regular
Drives
Carlos Brennan
Prices for sports have already jumped up , been looking one for the son from Christmas, English sports are nearer 2k now . Looks like an se with a lsd fitted is the only way into a cheap is200 .

RevT

RMS Regular
It’s going to be a while but they’ll get up there in value after a few more Donegals, a good clean Le should do well also but even buy a diff for it and put it in the boot Trevor because they’re gonna be hard got Also

Going to collect a diff or two next time I’m over in England picking something up. Many seem to be using IS200 LSD’s for their big chasers etc too, apparently a cheap option that only need spaced correctly to fit in.