lock nut tool

NotKG

Banned
has anyone got a tool to remove these C**ts ?
last year when i got the car i took the front lock nuts off due to the garage i bought it from , going full tilt overtorque.

i should have done all 4 at the time:mad::mad::mad:

now the socket has ripped out the important bit that fits this.
(pic of one of fronts from last year) must have weakened it last time, rest of the nuts are perfect at 110nm
IMG_20190205_155922.jpg
meanwhile.
iv cleaned the fronts
IMG_20190205_125951.jpg

IMG_20190205_131729.jpg

IMG_20190205_132616.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Use one of the generic bolt/nut removal sockets, one of those reverse threaded sockets that work with any "locknut" (or any other damaged/broken/etc. nut/bolt). Then replace with a normal nut/bolt.

It will wreck the "locknut", but that's ok because they're pointless anyway and just get in the way.

Boksic

RMS Regular
last year when i got the car i took the front lock nuts off due to the garage i bought it from , going full tilt overtorque.

(pic of one of fronts from last year) must have weakened it last time, rest of the nuts are perfect at 110nm
View attachment 224012
meanwhile.
iv cleaned the fronts
View attachment 224013
View attachment 224014
View attachment 224015

Hammer a normal socket on over it, remove as normal or with a rattle gun, it'll cut its way on no problem.
Throw lock nuts in bin after.

Probably an 18 or 19 will do it, whatever is just smaller than would slide onto it now. Make sure and hammer it well on or it'll slip and you'll have more messing about to do.

Shouldn't take any length of time, is easy done and is free.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO

View attachment 224012
meanwhile.
iv cleaned the fronts
View attachment 224013
View attachment 224014
View attachment 224015
Ice a breakdown company a ring, know a few have the proper expensive tools for the job and always get them out with damage to the wheel anytime I’ve seen

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Front drivers side lock not will not grip the lock key but worked fine for the other 3 wheels.

Tried impact gun as well face on but won’t loosen.

Any other advice or anyone local to East Belfast with a removal tool?

Might need a dent guy as I head butted the arch ffs trying to get it off

Thanks

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Front drivers side lock not will not grip the lock key but worked fine for the other 3 wheels.

Tried impact gun as well face on but won’t loosen.

Any other advice or anyone local to East Belfast with a removal tool?

Might need a dent guy as I head butted the arch ffs trying to get it off

Thanks
George :-#

don’t know anywhere but get rid of the locknuts now. Not worth the hassle

barachello

RMS Regular
Drives
CX5 & A3 8P
I'm in the same position, would appreciate a share of the solution advice lol

Jason

RMS Regular
I’ve tried them all, if it’s ****ed drilling the head off it’s only job, we use a large burr takes about half an hour and will mark the inside of wheel hole

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I'm in the same position, would appreciate a share of the solution advice lol

What sorted mine was getting a fixed bar without an angle like so:

20A04944-AC82-4D40-9532-C86ED7EF5376.jpeg

this is what I normally used and worked on the other 3 no problem

E4F4F61B-7BEB-43B5-892A-9A15441382A9.jpeg

used my impact gun as well to try loosen it but next step (from Cro) was to put all the bolts back in and tighten the 4 normal bolts as tight as possible in the hope it might slacken the lock nut.

Failing that I was either going to get the drill or quit. Thankfully it free’d up.

barachello

RMS Regular
Drives
CX5 & A3 8P
My problem is that the lock nut is not gripping at the lowest point, so slips out whenever pressure is applied.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
I’ve tried them all, if it’s ****ed drilling the head off it’s only job, we use a large burr takes about half an hour and will mark the inside of wheel hole
Had to do this for my brother in law and had a deep socket over the bolt to stop the swarf from marking the wheel

Cro

RMS Regular
My problem is that the lock nut is not gripping at the lowest point, so slips out whenever pressure is applied.
If its an angled brace you're using you have no hope. If it isn't, get the wheel up near a wall, get a jack in-between the wall and the ratchet to put tension on, make sure all the other bolts are overtightened and it'll give you a decent chance of getting it off

barachello

RMS Regular
Drives
CX5 & A3 8P
If its an angled brace you're using you have no hope. If it isn't, get the wheel up near a wall, get a jack in-between the wall and the ratchet to put tension on, make sure all the other bolts are overtightened and it'll give you a decent chance of getting it off
Thanks for that mate, will try that tomorrow!

Jason

RMS Regular
We usually have one person keep pressure on the brace and another person with a pound hammer repeatedly beat it to keep it from lifting, another way is drive the car close to a wall and use a bottle jack on the brace