Turbo'd Locost Kit Car - chasing 300bhp!

slickcell

RMS Regular
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I won this chassis a couple of weeks ago for an absolute bargain on eBay. I'd a bit of hassle finding a courier but finally got it delivered from Doncaster to my door for £225. It arrived today.

Over the couple of weeks of waiting for a courier, I picked up a load of bits including:

2004 Mazda MX5 1.8 VVT engine, gearbox, full wiring loom, clocks, ignition, propshaft etc:
d0pj06q.jpg

I do plan to turbo this car but will likely focus on getting it through the SVA first.

Some new GAZ Shocks:
xXgYxrT.jpg

New Cortina Uprights:
bdNT3bh.jpg

52" Atlas axle (this will give it a noticeable extra width over a standard Locost):
M9Fayad.jpg

Welder:
r3lba34.jpg

I really took a punt on the chassis being straight given that I'd purchased so much else for the car. I committed myself one way or another - if the chassis was useless, I would get one built/tackle it myself (highly unlikely :laughing:)

Anyway, it arrived today and I spent a good load of hours looking over the chassis with the Ron Champion Haynes book in my hand, checking that everything was 'to spec'. My brother and I spent a while checking that everything was centred, level/symmetrical and free from any worrying discrepancies - turns out, the punt was worth it as the chassis seems to have been built by someone reasonably skilled as everything is perfectly straight etc. Result!

7IMEElg.jpg

9YunT3M.jpg

kwIAJpG.jpg

We then offered up the MX5 gearbox to check it out for size - seems to fit fine but it will be tight. I understand that there is an MX5 Locost racing series in England so I know these definitely fit the standard book-spec Locost....this is despite the chassis originally designed to take 1300 pinto engines.

ADp2N9j.jpg

nwK2J7T.jpg

I've an entire weekend ahead of me, with plans to wire-wheel the whole chassis and go over all of the welds. I will then hit the frame with some primer to coat it while getting the rest of the engine/gearbox/suspension work done. It will be powder coated before final assembly but a lash of paint will save any rust in the meantime.

Prioritised plans for the build:
- Redo the wishbones to reflect a revised geometry (proper caster angle etc) with a little additional length for extra track width
- Fit and mount atlas axle
- Fit coilovers
- Mount engine and gearbox
- Fit roll cage
- THE REST (as the above should take me a couple of months anyway) lol

Last edited:

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Great project and you're well stuck in already.
Not sure I'd bother priming it if you're going get it powder coated later. It will need blasting before powder coating anyway.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Thanks lads! The goal is to have it ready by the summer.....at least track ready, if not road legal

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
:eek: that's a lot of wires on the engine.

Fair play on taking of such a build/project.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Good job, these are great craic. TBH an N/A version will be quick enough to learn the car in and easier to build and get running. It will be a good bit sharper than an MX5 in any case and theres always the option of throttle bodies to get up to around the 190bhp mark. Had always thought about building one myself.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Good man, Keep us up to date!

Locostbuilders is your friend, are you planning to form up the cage yourself?

Personally I would ditch the Atlas at this stage, Diff & internals are more expensive and hugely heavier than an English axle.

And.. although its not technically the thing to do, I would buy a donor car for the V5, the SVA/IVA is a pain in the hoop.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Excellent - loved @Rob's build so looking forward to this one

Haha to be absolutely fair to Rob, this probably cannot be mentioned in the same breath as his given his spec, and the fact that his is a gen Westfield etc.

I will however, make this as good as possible.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Good man, Keep us up to date!

Locostbuilders is your friend, are you planning to form up the cage yourself?

Personally I would ditch the Atlas at this stage, Diff & internals are more expensive and hugely heavier than an English axle.

And.. although its not technically the thing to do, I would buy a donor car for the V5, the SVA/IVA is a pain in the hoop.

Yeah, I am on Locostbuilders but there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of activity on it lately. I am going to stick with the atlas - I have heard quite a few reports of the English axles kinking etc and would rather just build it to take some abuse right from the start.

Regarding IVA/SVA - I have zero experience of this. What are my options?

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Yeah, I am on Locostbuilders but there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of activity on it lately. I am going to stick with the atlas - I have heard quite a few reports of the English axles kinking etc and would rather just build it to take some abuse right from the start.

I haven't ever done the SVA myself.. I've always avoided that and bought registered Westfields and the modified them to suit my needs.

@Rob will give you the low down.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Great project, looking forward to following this! Fair bit of work ahead of you but they aren't difficult to work on.

I've one sitting in the garage with a bike engine that I'm currently rebuilding (also a Locost but wide tracked etc).

As @IL said IVA is a royal pain in the balls! I put my first car through SVA which was easier than IVA and still was a pain.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Great project, looking forward to following this! Fair bit of work ahead of you but they aren't difficult to work on.

I've one sitting in the garage with a bike engine that I'm currently rebuilding (also a Locost but wide tracked etc).

As @IL said IVA is a royal pain in the balls! I put my first car through SVA which was easier than IVA and still was a pain.

Ah really? I am actually baffled at the moment regarding wide-track options for the locost as you read so much conflicting information online. Does your use Cortina uprights?

I know there's a fair bit of work but that's what I wanted....I know I could buy one cheaper but I wanted the challenge of actually building one. This way, I know exactly what it is when I am finished with it.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Yeah I'm using cortina uprights at the minute. Mine was already wide-tracked when I got it.

Just right building it from scratch, I bought mine ready built and have now stripped it because I want to see what I've got, refresh it and know exactly what is what when it's finished!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Yeah I'm using cortina uprights at the minute. Mine was already wide-tracked when I got it.

Just right building it from scratch, I bought mine ready built and have now stripped it because I want to see what I've got, refresh it and know exactly what is what when it's finished!

Ah, very good! Looking forward to seeing some pics of yours! :p

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi

englisg axles can take a LOT of power......... are are much lighter and better suited to these than an Atlas.... i'd seriously think of not starting to base alll geometry and suspension etc around the atlas, and start with the much better (and lighter) solution... these cars are all about power to weight as the aero is pretty sh!t (understandably)

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
englisg axles can take a LOT of power......... are are much lighter and better suited to these than an Atlas.... i'd seriously think of not starting to base alll geometry and suspension etc around the atlas, and start with the much better (and lighter) solution... these cars are all about power to weight as the aero is pretty sh!t (understandably)

I specifically went for an Atlas axle as I follow one of the locost builder's thread quite closely. His car is an identical setup to mine and he was quite adamant that the English axles have snapped on him. There are also numerous reports of the English axles kinking through the process of welding the trailing arm + suspension brackets to them.

I have the axle, I'm sticking with it - I will be happy knowing that it's able to take any amount of abuse.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Good job, these are great craic. TBH an N/A version will be quick enough to learn the car in and easier to build and get running. It will be a good bit sharper than an MX5 in any case and theres always the option of throttle bodies to get up to around the 190bhp mark. Had always thought about building one myself.

Throttle boddies - hmmm.....I know nothing about tuning an MX5 engine! I must look into this

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
I specifically went for an Atlas axle as I follow one of the locost builder's thread quite closely. His car is an identical setup to mine and he was quite adamant that the English axles have snapped on him. There are also numerous reports of the English axles kinking through the process of welding the trailing arm + suspension brackets to them.

I have the axle, I'm sticking with it - I will be happy knowing that it's able to take any amount of abuse.

He must be pretty brutal on a car if he's having english axles snap on him! Must spend his time doing dry launches. There are some seriously quick cars used in different types of motorsport all over the country with English axles and it's not something I've come across before.