Turbo'd Locost Kit Car - chasing 300bhp!

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I'm not sure how well 7 or 8s would put the power down. I was planning to run 9/10 rears and 6/7 fronts.
Best to test it in your situation then - I'm sure you will get 1000 different suggestions. If you want to get the power to the road, then you are driving the wrong wheels. Engine/ weight above the driven wheels is what gives traction. My old boss, professor Gordon Murray gave me a quick lesson one day in one of these which out-performed range rovers over the mud: OX - Gordon Murray Design

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Best to test it in your situation then - I'm sure you will get 1000 different suggestions. If you want to get the power to the road, then you are driving the wrong wheels. Engine/ weight above the driven wheels is what gives traction. My old boss, professor Gordon Murray gave me a quick lesson one day in one of these which out-performed range rovers over the mud: OX - Gordon Murray Design

Ah it's hard to know - I guess it will be a case of trial an error :/

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
To put 300hp and Turbo torque down in a sub 600kg car you are going to need at least 9" of rubber on the back of it and the best of quality rubber at that.

You will probably want to pair that up with some 8" fronts.

Paul Hamill

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiger Avon busa
Hmmmmm these are very tempting! Where are you?

Work in Dungannon-live in Ballygawley.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
To put 300hp and Turbo torque down in a sub 600kg car you are going to need at least 9" of rubber on the back of it and the best of quality rubber at that.

You will probably want to pair that up with some 8" fronts.

Feck! I am on 185 front tyres and 205 rears! That’s 6.5” and 7” rims.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Feck! I am on 185 front tyres and 205 rears! That’s 6.5” and 7” rims.

But with 200hp and 1/2 the Torque of Kevs car, I'd say that would be fine, 8's would be nice on the rear but wait to see how it all feels (y)

If you had built it Busa to start and not to Ni7's Regs you probably would have gone with 8's on the rear!

Paul Hamill

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiger Avon busa
IMG_4280.JPG

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Headmelt level - 6,000,000!

Engine back in today (hopefully for the last time) and I started laying out the MX5 loom to figure out what's what.

jpZR7Cu.jpg

I couldn't figure out what's what, so I left it like this and closed the garage door!!!

LB5WpCd.jpg

g4HqVfM.jpg

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Aww now that part I do not envy at all. Electrics confuse me lol

Same! I might just leave it to someone - I can't be arsed with the hassle of wiring and then knowing that I'll be plagued with issues down the line as I won't have done it right lol

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Yup wiring is grim! Many a night spent going through a Haynes manual tracing wires figuring out what was what and that was just a bike loom!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Yup wiring is grim! Many a night spent going through a Haynes manual tracing wires figuring out what was what and that was just a bike loom!

My head is melted at the thought of it lol if anyone knows a good autospark, please feel free to refer lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
its not that complicated, what are you trying to do? slim down the loom?

Man I just about know how to plug something in, so it is complicated for me lol. There are so many basic things that I am oblivious to - do I need to have the entire car loom plugged in just to start the car or can I connect up only the engine loom (providing there is fuel getting to the rail) and it will start?

Essentially, yes - I want to slim the loom down and remove it of its excess but I am afraid of pulling something out that renders the thing useless. I am probably making a bigger deal of it than required but electrics in general, I am completely clueless!

dddrrift

RMS Regular
your doing pretty well so far, you will find you can turn your hand to this too.

Id start by hooking up the loom as it is, that way you know what all the plugs and connectors serve. Ideally get her running with the full loom untouched. Then start and remove any unused connectors, mark where needs shortened etc. You can check she fires up and everything works each time you remove something if your not sure. when it comes tyo the dash id leave the plugs from the clocks to the end, then get the diagram and work out and mark oil pressure, rev counter etc

Then take the loom off and lay it out, make the changes and refit.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
your doing pretty well so far, you will find you can turn your hand to this too.

Id start by hooking up the loom as it is, that way you know what all the plugs and connectors serve. Ideally get her running with the full loom untouched. Then start and remove any unused connectors, mark where needs shortened etc. You can check she fires up and everything works each time you remove something if your not sure. when it comes tyo the dash id leave the plugs from the clocks to the end, then get the diagram and work out and mark oil pressure, rev counter etc

Then take the loom off and lay it out, make the changes and refit.

I probably am putting myself off to be honest but I must just throw myself into it. So can I just clarify that if I just connect up all of the engine loom and back only as far as the clocks/ignition barrel etc, I can leave the rest of the loom unplugged to get the engine running?

dddrrift

RMS Regular
well id say you will need to connect all earths to the chassis. Connect the fuel pump, connect the starter and all engine sensors available. Not sure what ignition system your using? key barrel? push button? That should be easy sorted. Chances are there is no immobiliser so she should fire at that!