Turbo'd Locost Kit Car - chasing 300bhp!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
well id say you will need to connect all earths to the chassis. Connect the fuel pump, connect the starter and all engine sensors available. Not sure what ignition system your using? key barrel? push button? That should be easy sorted. Chances are there is no immobiliser so she should fire at that!

Thanks mate, I will give it another go and see what way I get on

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Still slow on progress as this wiring has me in a pickle. I'm contemplating having a full custom wiring loom made for the car but I will give it to tomorrow night before I pull the trigger on it.

I was able to pick up a set of minilites, a used set of Toyo R888s and various other tarty bits....

ib6zPMF.jpg

MZ6717x.jpg

TywKhaY.jpg

4XEPlYM.jpg

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Starting to really look like something now, amazing!

Thanks man. It will come together a lot over the next couple of weeks now that the hard mechanical stuff is done. I was expecting my bonnet, scoop and carbon aero screen to arrive yesterday but as per usual, Parcelforce cocked up my delivery!

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Custom loom would be the job but it’ll be £££. Make sure you know what you are getting too, I was a bit disappointed with the way mine was done. It all worked 100%, but wasn’t something I enjoyed looking at. I would insist on not having connectors looped back and forth between each other, and don’t have grounds to the chassis here there and everywhere. Get the loom made with a separate connector to each component and if you can stretch get it wrapped in braid and the ends heat shrunk, it’ll look super. I like Deutsch DT Connectors but the Sure seal ones are good too

I ended up re doing a lot of mine and it looks a lot better now

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Custom loom would be the job but it’ll be £££. Make sure you know what you are getting too, I was a bit disappointed with the way mine was done. It all worked 100%, but wasn’t something I enjoyed looking at. I would insist on not having connectors looped back and forth between each other, and don’t have grounds to the chassis here there and everywhere. Get the loom made with a separate connector to each component and if you can stretch get it wrapped in braid and the ends heat shrunk, it’ll look super. I like Deutsch DT Connectors but the Sure seal ones are good too

I ended up re doing a lot of mine and it looks a lot better now

I've been quoted fairly reasonably for a full reloom so depending on how we get on with the wiring tomorrow, I might end up with that.

I'm not keen on the original loom being tucked and hacked, looking like sh*t so a custom loom will be the job. I do however, want to save myself the £££ if possible!

Reactions: Rob

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Yep, so despite our best efforts today, we just couldn't get the thing going. We got dash lights on but no luck when it came to turning over.

Irrespective of the issue that we can't put our finger on, the MX5 loom is huge and will look awful when it comes to having different bits and pieces tucked away. So, I've got it stripped it out and will be sending it off in the morning to have a custom engine + car loom made to suit the car.

Gives me a bit of time to focus on some cosmetic stuff 😁

Zc4RkIX.jpg

Goodbye loom 🖕
y2qxWXH.jpg

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
WOW! That is one big loom.

Can’t wait to see how it comes back. And as you say, by the time it reappears you can have a few more big things ticked off the build!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
WOW! That is one big loom.

Can’t wait to see how it comes back. And as you say, by the time it reappears you can have a few more big things ticked off the build!

It is huge man! Lol. Making that work would end up with the enginebay/dash looking like sh*t. It should be nice and minimal by the time it's back and I should also have the car pretty much fjnished otherwise. I can then just take it to get mapped and go have some fun 😉

Last edited:

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Can looks great! The loom
Looks a nightmare

@Paul Hamill what compound are the ZZrs and how old? I’m not up on recent regs, but do they do for road legal classes in speed & circuit racing?

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Yep, so despite our best efforts today, we just couldn't get the thing going. We got dash lights on but no luck when it came to turning over.

Irrespective of the issue that we can't put our finger on, the MX5 loom is huge and will look awful when it comes to having different bits and pieces tucked away. So, I've got it stripped it out and will be sending it off in the morning to have a custom engine + car loom made to suit the car.

Gives me a bit of time to focus on some cosmetic stuff 😁

Zc4RkIX.jpg

Goodbye loom 🖕
y2qxWXH.jpg
Kevs loom...........

Paul Hamill

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiger Avon busa
Can looks great! The loom
Looks a nightmare

@Paul Hamill what compound are the ZZrs and how old? I’m not up on recent regs, but do they do for road legal classes in speed & circuit racing?
Mark,
Yes they are road legal racing tyres and we’re control tyres in many championships inc Caterhan 420R.They are medium compound.I don’t know the age as they were on a set of wheels that I bought but prob 2-3 years I’d say.

Attachments

• D5A7D10E-DAD1-48E0-8073-B7F94AEF45C0.jpeg
    D5A7D10E-DAD1-48E0-8073-B7F94AEF45C0.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 252

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Cheers, let me do some research.... looking a24 compound ideally, but need to see if they work for the road legal classes this yr 👍

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
That's the custom loom and ECU ordered, which should be back with me within the next ten days. My bonnet, scoop and carbon aero screen arrived finally. To be honest, I am not entirely happy with them but I'm not convinced that fibreglass body panels from anywhere else will be much better. So, here the fun part starts - rubbing this lot down and preparing for paint/wrap!

This is my old bonnet pictured which is not deep or long enough but I'm using this as a test piece before I start chopping the new one. I'll have to set the scoop over the edge of the bonnet (protruding over the nose cone) to hide the section I had to remove of the nosecone to clear the rocker. When done though, it should look perfect. 🤞

FWQdVcV.jpg

I am now also considering having it painted all black as opposed to wrapped grey..... I can't help but imagine what this would look like with a green racing stripe over it....

b3UYvGE.jpg

Last edited:

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
I can confirm that sanding and painting is not a fun task (more so the sanding than the painting)! Can’t wait to see the back of it.

That would look well with vivid green but then I think the cage colour being different would be needed with the black.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I can confirm that sanding and painting is not a fun task (more so the sanding than the painting)! Can’t wait to see the back of it.

That would look well with vivid green but then I think the cage colour being different would be needed with the black.

You could be right mate. I am going to get the bodywork in line and wrap it grey as originally planned. Depending on how it turns out, i might end up going black but we will see!