Turbo'd Locost Kit Car - chasing 300bhp!

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
have they went super wide track on the front Mike ? the car looks unreal........ but the angle of the shocks doesn't look great

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
No, the black and blue one is a 620r, owners are on Facebook.

Did you get a run to satisfy yourself that you don't need the sequential box? Lol.

I see their aero screens - they look great. Is that what you've ordered?

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Did you get a run to satisfy yourself that you don't need the sequential box? Lol.

I see their aero screens - they look great. Is that what you've ordered?
I'm getting a clear one, a carbon one may look better but the drivers eye view with a clear one is unreal!

This was my last one....

IMG-20190410-WA0002.jpeg

And my view.....

IMG-20190410-WA0000.jpeg

Last edited:

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So today was bodywork day - I started out trying to sort the second bonnet I bought and I soon realised that this was also a piece of crap...... That's two bonnets, neither of which worked so I was starting to worry.

I figured I'd have a go at one from aluminium sheet and it worked perfectly first go - I should have done this from the beginning and saved myself a few hundred quid! The aluminum bonnet is also noticeably lighter than the two fibreglass bonnets I've wasted through this process.

Anyway, this is how it sits after today's work - most of the bodywork is just set on to give me an idea of how it will look. I'll bond the scoop to the aluminum bonnet tomorrow and smooth it all down. It should be ready for primer then wrap.

rgaNY8P.jpg

The side panels also required some fettling as these were 370mm deep, suited to an MK Indy but I needed to reduce these to 330mm deep. Quick chop, bit of tiger seal and they're bang on. A little sand, prime and paint tomorrow and they'll be ready to wrap and secure on.

5I6gQu1.jpg

sfJKWz0.jpg

I G-clamped the rear arches on to get an idea of what their position should be - I think this looks OK but a keener eye is more than welcome to advise....

IxEKBA3.jpg

I plan to havr the bodywork sorted by the weekend and being really optimistic, wrapped and all 🤞

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Phew!

I'd maybe put some outlets at the back of the bonnet. That turbo will generate a lot of heat.

Yeh, I am trying to do all of this proactively to prevent issues later down the line. That's why I'm flaring the side panels - to let the hot air escape out the sides.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
This bodywork is testing my commitment to this project!

I spent almost the entire day rubbing down my rear panel as it was plagued with pop rivet holes and a fuel cap hole that I won't be reusing. I did manage to get my side panels finished. They're now carbon wrapped and riveted in place and I think they look well 👌

TPzJQdF.jpg

ttE767e.jpg

XY9np1C.jpg

Tomorrow I'll attack the bonnet and scuttle and hopefully that will be most of my bodywork prepared - ready for either paint or wrap. I'm still undecided about whether to send off for a proper paint job in metallic black or wrap them in grey with the vinyl i bought for it.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Side panels look well! The grey would be something different, since you have it already you could give it a go and can always change it if you aren’t keen.

You know now why it’s taken me so long to sort my bodywork out!! It’s soul destroying. Thankfully I just need to flatten mine back and polish up and it’s done.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Side panels look well! The grey would be something different, since you have it already you could give it a go and can always change it if you aren’t keen.

You know now why it’s taken me so long to sort my bodywork out!! It’s soul destroying. Thankfully I just need to flatten mine back and polish up and it’s done.

Thanks Paul. I do think that's what ill end up doing.... As you say, I have the wrap already. Because of my protruding throttle body and therefore having to modify my nose cone a little, my bonnet will not be a typical shape. I do think if done right however, it will look 90-95%. I might need to run some IVA edging around the bonnet and with the grey, it might look sh*t. I figured the black would hide it better to the point where it would almost unnoticeable.

I'll see what it looks like and then decide. I do have 5.75 DRL headlights which will likely hide a bit of the buldge so it might not look as bad as I anticipate.

How is your car looking lately? Surely you're nearly there?

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
There’s some rules around the edges, there’s things you can do to not need the edging on the actual bonnet but would need to see what it looks like first before I could say.

Mine is getting there, it’s all painted now. Just need to build it back up now! Paint still needs a flatten and polish but happy to finally get some progress. I don’t fancy doing that job again in a hurry!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Today I finished off repairing the nose cone and scuttle panel, and preparing them for wrap - I figured id try to wrap them and let that decide whether I wanted to paint....

xuB5viM.jpg

MaTdzqo.jpg

mU0nO16.jpg

Tried on again for another look and I'm quite liking the grey - even if this is just Primer grey!

xw290d8.jpg

IcQdY1z.jpg

I then had a blast at wrapping the nose cone - I figured since it was the most difficult shape, I'd start here first. This was the result:

7Sy0p6u.jpg

Yep - so I guess that's me taking it for paint then! Lol. I might have another go, but that was three attempts and it's way more difficult than I imagined!

corsacj

RMS Regular
I vowed not to touch vinyl after wrapping the civic, and I've stuck to my word on that too lol. Soapy water is key though and felt squeegee.

Great progress as always, how are you getting on with the electrics? (I've probably missed some thread). Seems like you're approaching the home stretch.

Paint will look better and last longer anyway, and be easier to repair the inevitable scrapes and chips and all that (y)

x2. A quick rub down & blow over of single stage paint drains me less than even thinking about wrapping does.