Turbo'd Locost Kit Car - chasing 300bhp!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
My new digital dash arrived today - pretty excited to get this fitted!!

ngwLUYv.jpg

It does a cool little light show when switched on:

Last edited:

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Man your car is going to be incredible!! Love the grey and green colour scheme. Can't wait to see it at Kirki!!

Thanks Rob! I'm still yet to powdercoat the intake mani black and fit all the rest of the tarty bits - braided lines etc. I will probably get the front arms powdercoated too just as I finish the build as they've taken a bit of a battering since being painted lol

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
My new digital dash arrived today - pretty excited to get this fitted!!

ngwLUYv.jpg

It does a cool little light show when switched on:

I would assume as it is digital it will, but make sure it shows both KMPH and MPH as this will be an MOT requirement (and probably IVA)

This may be my first comment on this thread but I have been following and admiring with a big green eyed monster! Awesome build!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I would assume as it is digital it will, but make sure it shows both KMPH and MPH as this will be an MOT requirement (and probably IVA)

This may be my first comment on this thread but I have been following and admiring with a big green eyed monster! Awesome build!

Hi mate, I had a play with it yesterday and it does support both KMPH and MPH, thankfully - I wasn't aware of that requirement for IVA. Being honest, I've only skimmed over the main pointers for IVA but I built it as complete and as logically as i could so hopefully I don't fall into too many difficulties when it comes to IVA.

P.S. Glad that you like the car - it's better than I ever intended it to be tbh!

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Hi mate, I had a play with it yesterday and it does support both KMPH and MPH, thankfully - I wasn't aware of that requirement for IVA. Being honest, I've only skimmed over the main pointers for IVA but I built it as complete and as logically as i could so hopefully I don't fall into too many difficulties when it comes to IVA.

P.S. Glad that you like the car - it's better than I ever intended it to be tbh!
I know there is exceptions for KMPH under the IVA regs but I'm nearly sure its for mass produced cars where it isn't an option as standard, for example Jap import. It then becomes MOT exempt if it is stated on the V5 it has an IVA

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I know there is exceptions for KMPH under the IVA regs but I'm nearly sure its for mass produced cars where it isn't an option as standard, for example Jap import. It then becomes MOT exempt if it is stated on the V5 it has an IVA

Ahh, I see. Well it's good that I have it if I need it. I know there are certain minimum warning lights needed etc so when I have the bulk of it wired, I will leave it to an autospark to finish and ensure it abides by the IVA regs appropriately.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
All imported cars have to be converted as well, I don't think there is any way around it. People print new speedo fascias and whatnot because of it.

Anyway, with a digital dash it shouldn't be a problem. And it's handy to have when crossing the border, etc. So only a good thing really.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
All imported cars have to be converted as well, I don't think there is any way around it. People print new speedo fascias and whatnot because of it.

Anyway, with a digital dash it shouldn't be a problem. And it's handy to have when crossing the border, etc. So only a good thing really.

Most people are just MOTing it though not dealing with IVA.

Still can’t get over the speed of this build, inspiring stuff.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Most people are just MOTing it though not dealing with IVA.

Still can’t get over the speed of this build, inspiring stuff.

I know a lot of people are just sourcing a log book and doing it that way but as I get deeper into this build, I am wanting the car to pass IVA on it's own merit. Unless of course, I come across a specific Locost log book then my mindset might change. lol

P.S. The build isn't happening fast enough! lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
do you have an Odometer on that computer, its a requirement isnt it?

Yes mate, it has:
  • Speedometer to 220 MPH 320KPH
  • Odometer
  • Tachometer 0 - 20K programmable scale
  • 3 colour selectable backlight
  • Gear Position Indicator, Display range : N, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,
  • Clock
  • Volt Meter
  • Programmable shift light
  • Temperature gauge
  • Fuel Gauge
  • Warning Lights (indicators, High beam, EOBD, Neutral, Oil pressure)
mTnL3WE.jpg

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Not much happened today:

Got the bonnet catches on...
iqD0Mzg.jpg

Turbo clocked but not without problems as I broke an edge off the cold side of the turbo...

y0DXdCm.jpg

When this is repositioned within the compressor housing, it is covered by the circlip. I'm not entirely sure if this will be problematic so I'm relying on you guys to advise me.

I did proceed to clock and fit anyway along with turbo oil feed etc...
cJCLVRn.jpg

KEJBcgG.jpg

And finally, the intercooler (not finally fitted yet)
dAs69dR.jpg

This isn't going to be an easy fit as the outlet pipes will be squeezed under the nose cone. If needs be, I will cut two oval holes into the nose cone to allow the IC pipes to protrude. I'll then just have to cover them up with moulds. Hey ho.... It might look racier! Lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Unfortunately nothing exciting to report after today - still waiting on my wiring loom and ECU so no closer to starting it really.

I did get the radiator and intercooler mounted properly with some sturdier brackets...
iokDSwL.jpg

1YljOmb.jpg

Its a tight fit under the nose cone and I'm not sure if I will need to cut holes in it to allow the IC pipes to protrude...
gKttE5D.jpg

Braided turbo oil feed line on....
iSq7gZB.jpg

As far as the bonnet goes, I think it's pretty close...
OX5mZ4e.jpg

However, the scoop I have just wont work. It's a tad too narrow and not deep enough so I'm going to have to resort to making my own.
XZmOmoW.jpg

I also got my wingstays finished and ready to fit but that's not really worth a picture lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
The bodywork was really starting to piss me off on this thing!!! Four attempts at a bonnet later and I think I have cracked it..... Its as close to perfect as I reckon a handmade aluminium bonnet can be (by an amateur at least). I had to reduce my engine mounts to allow me a little extra room up top (the engine just sat too high) but I am still clearing around 75mm under the sump. I'm aware that the Caterham 620s is 80mm so that's close enough!

Still waiting on my custom wiring loom and ECU to arrive but hopefully I'll have a nicer update this time next week!

P.S. I'm ordering a new nose cone and redoing it so ignore the wrap that's lifting

LScLT4P.jpg

fQp6t8x.jpg

EbNzu6b.jpg

8Bfnt3O.jpg

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
11 days and no update - WTF DUDE!! 😂

Haha I know man, can you imagine how I feel?! Unfortunately, I am still awaiting delivery of my ECU + full loom, my wrap to finish the sides and rear, my new drilled and grooved brake discs, passenger seat, replacement nose cone etc etc.

I have been guaranteed that I'll have my loom and ECU by Friday though as well as wrap, seat etc so I am hoping that I've a good update to come this weekend.