Turbo'd Locost Kit Car - chasing 300bhp!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
By way of some kind of update, I've been informed that my loom and ECU is on route. He also sent me some pictures to content me for now.... Looks good
6Oy1pYd.jpg

Everything is braid-wrapped, heatshrunk and labelled...
sorZFuv.jpg

This has been measured to be an exact fit for my car so there should be nothing hanging out, looking out of place or too long.

My headlights and taillights are also ready for installation but I'm awaiting the loom before I proceed with this.... Unashamedly, I copied @Rob on these but hey ho!

7rnN5Ql.jpg

I've got some carbon look light pods for these to go into. These all in one units should clean up both ends of the car unlike most!
9Lhh3g2.jpg

I now also have TWO matching (kind of) Wilwood Powerlites and fast road pads. Rally Design were fantastic in hunting down the last black caliper on sale anywhere - apparently the grey version have replaced the black but they don't look great in my opinion. I am waiting for some 265mm drilled and grooved discs to arrive this week before I can finally tick off my brake setup!

vjRnXw1.jpg

I've also upgraded all of my fuel lines to heavy duty, steel braided hoses throughout and fitted slimmer engine mounts to JUST tuck the engine under the bonnet.

iCwdDdD.jpg

GklUdZf.jpg

JqPujPW.jpg

Oh - and I've wrapped the side panels grey, completed my transmission tunnel and fitted my wingstays + cycle wings but I'll update over the weekend with some proper pics.

DuiGYFl.jpg

To be done this week/weekend:

- fit wiring loom + attempt to start the car
- fit digital dash + all gauges
- fit brakes + bleed
- fit clutch line + bleed
- fit headlights + taillights
- fit passenger seat + seat belt
- fit intercooler piping

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Here's a quick video I took of the gauges I finally decided on.... Boost, Oil pressure and water temperature.

I'll have these fitted to my carbon dash alongside my AEM wideband and 6 black aluminium Savage switches. Tarty!!!

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
You said...……………………….

'To be done this week/weekend:

- fit brakes + bleed
- fit intercooler piping'

That list would take me weeks/months:joy:

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
You said...……………………….

'To be done this week/weekend:

- fit brakes + bleed
- fit intercooler piping'

That list would take me weeks/months:joy:

Haha.... I set myself amitious targets!!

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
The car is really coming together now, that loom is really tidy. Would you mind sending a PM with how much it cost? Great shout on the lights, the headlights especially have proven to be a great job on my car, I’m delighted with them!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
The car is really coming together now, that loom is really tidy. Would you mind sending a PM with how much it cost? Great shout on the lights, the headlights especially have proven to be a great job on my car, I’m delighted with them!

Will pm you now mate

Reactions: Rob

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So after what seems like a lifetime of waiting, my loom and ECU FINALLY arrived....
oxR6IKo.jpg

Excuse the exposed wires immediately out of the ECU - they won't be wrapped until I figure out where I'm joining my gauges and digital dash etc

81vIG4D.jpg

I also upgraded my brakes to 265mm drilled and grooved, so they arrived today too - looking forward to fitting these. I had to send my braided brake lines back to have the ends redone in 1/8 NPT for the wilwoods. Unfortunately they're still not back so more delays on that front!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Looks like you're not short of other things to do while you wait, lol 😇 😁

Brilliant project this, bet you can't wait to get out on the road :cool: Must be a special feeling, knowing you did it all yourself, knowing literally every nut and bolt!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Looks like you're not short of other things to do while you wait, lol 😇 😁

Brilliant project this, bet you can't wait to get out on the road :cool: Must be a special feeling, knowing you did it all yourself, knowing literally every nut and bolt!

Well, yeah you'd think that. I'd pay someone to finish it for me though and to forget every nut and bolt. I just want to give it some death! Lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Little bit of an update despite the non-arrival of parts still holding me back from ticking more off:

265mm drilled and grooved discs fitted along with (finally) my Wilwoods and braided brake lines:
7ej9qNO.jpg

Rose jointed track rod ends fitted:
xfrhXzr.jpg

Got my pedal box sorted finally and nicely braided accelerator cable mounted - works a treat now 👌
1NLS14H.jpg

A few new tarty bits also arrived - firstly, my oil cooler setup. Mocal hoses, mocal thermostatic sandwich plate and motamec cooler. Unfortunately I couldn't fit this today as I need male-male 1/2 BSP adapters but these have been ordered up.

Secondly, my passenger seat arrived. I went for a slightly different style with this one compared to the driver seat. The new seat is much nicer in my opinion. I might in fact, make this the driver's seat (or buy another to have a matching pair - we will see)

9zCXepW.jpg

Unfortunately, I've nothing to report with regards to actually starting the car. The guys doing my loom only sent me the engine loom minus my ignition plugs, which was a little daft. I'm also awaiting completion of my chassis loom before I can get to work on the lights and dash etc.

I'm off to Venice on Friday so I obviously won't get anything done this weekend. Lol. However, the REST of my loom should have arrived by the time I get back, after which I hope that I can fly through it with little hiccups

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I picked up a set of Compomotive ML1390s for the rear as I needed something seriously wide to fill my 345mm arches. I wasn't keen on running spacers so these, with a 9 inch width and -24 offset work perfectly. They'll also be better for putting the power down than the previous 7 inch rears 💪

(excuse my dodgy arch wrap - I'm redoing this)
R9eddor.jpg

BSR17LP.jpg

yDkwFqL.jpg

I will be putting a matching set of 8s on the front too, providing they fit. Otherwise, I'll maybe see about just having my current fronts powder coated in silver to match these.

Paul Hamill

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiger Avon busa
Seeing as things are quiet around here at the moment😃lol, and I know you all like the se7en content, here’s mine as of this evening just after an engine and gearbox rebuild so hopefully I’ll finally be able to get the season started at last.
AA84634A-AE7D-4697-A0BC-0BFF0642346B.jpeg
5CB2DA65-4559-4DD1-A48A-369C2A88A4E9.jpeg
8AD46B91-D240-4B05-9377-5721F068914F.jpeg

Marc

RMS Moderator
Seeing as things are quiet around here at the moment😃lol, and I know you all like the se7en content, here’s mine as of this evening just after an engine and gearbox rebuild so hopefully I’ll finally be able to get the season started at last.
that is something else!

those back wheels?!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So I haven't gotten lazy incase some of you guys think that's why I've gone quiet! Lengthy delays since ordering the loom but it's finally here and in one piece!

Spent most of today making a list of 'to-dos' to finish along with plugging all of my wiring in, and testing it all with the MaxxECU MTune software

Everything seems in order and basically ready to be started but I don't want to rush into this as I want to do some final checks before I get her fired up!

However, here's a test of the injector sequence:

And the fuel pumps:

I've also got Pete sorting out my downpipe and exhaust at the minute so that shouldn't be too long before it's ready to fit!

Also, a new nose cone (MK Indy one this time) which is a much nicer cone in my opinion and much roomier for my radiator/intercooler (Intercooler+Oil cooler not fitted here):

bxeQ9C9.jpg

UbraQfW.jpg

tqLGoWS.jpg

The keen eye might also notice my second seat fitted and I also got a matching pair of TRS harnesses.

I should be able to make some rapid progress from here really, so all systems go now with no more delays (hopefully)

Last edited:

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Hi Rob, do those lights pass MOT? I wouldn't mind fitting a set to mx5 to replace the standard 7 inch halogens

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So today wasn't without hiccups - almost three hiccups for each bit of progress but in summary.....

I started my intercooler pipes and got them 3/4s of the way there. However, I am missing a few couplers/reducers to complete the turbo side but they should be here this week at some stage.
5xJwf2I.jpg

sAWWHqt.jpg

I then set about connecting up the fuel lines. With the turbo conversion, I believe I need to have a return fuel rail with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. The stock MX5 fuel rail is a non-return version but this can be modified into a returning rail with an adapter.

The pulse dampener pictured below is removed and replaced with an adapter....

30nUP8e.jpg

xIZoZVt.jpg

And an AN fitting allows connection to the FPR and return line - easy....

b3o7WRS.jpg

However, the AN fitting fouls the inside of the inlet manifold meaning the rail wont mount properly and line up with the injectors....

DBnmAcG.jpg

I thought the only option here was to buy an expensive aftermarket fuel rail but I found an alternative adapter with the push-on return barb exiting directly below so I am almost certain this will work.

And the annoyance didn't stop there, as I realised I needed to sort a little leak on my shortened sump. No big, big issues - just hassle. They will be put right this week and HOPEFULLY we can get the car fired up this week!

zb056Cr.jpg

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Have you made your dash panel yet?
I made a new one last weekend and home-flocked it.Was a bit skeptical but it turned out good.View attachment 236991
Seeing as things are quiet around here at the moment😃lol, and I know you all like the se7en content, here’s mine as of this evening just after an engine and gearbox rebuild so hopefully I’ll finally be able to get the season started at last.View attachment 237984View attachment 237985View attachment 237986

Sorry Paul - I completely ignored you! The dash looks great but Jesus, that car!!! I'm jealous!!!

When are you next out with it?