Turbo'd Locost Kit Car - chasing 300bhp!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
More progress tonight - we got the rear axle brackets finished up, welded on and then slotted the axle in for a look!

arQW4Iq.jpg

1MX20F5.jpg

WZbnpQ1.jpg

0lPXAHy.jpg

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Good Progress

I'm not overly experienced in the setup of axles but my understanding is that the 4 link bars are best parallel with the ground at your desired ride height.

So the front mounts might be best moved up slightly, the axle looks to be in full droop at the moment?

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Good Progress

I'm not overly experienced in the setup of axles but my understanding is that the 4 link bars are best parallel with the ground at your desired ride height.

So the front mounts might be best moved up slightly, the axle looks to be in full droop at the moment?

Thanks mate. Yeah, the four trailing arms should be parallel when at ride height. I was looking at this last night and wondering how it would sit in that respect as I noticed the same thing - it will depend on how much sag there is with it's full weight on the ground so, what you've suggested might need required. I have seen a number of Locosts with multiple holds drilled in the chassis trailing arm mounts so it shouldn't be an issue if needs be.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Thanks mate. Yeah, the four trailing arms should be parallel when at ride height. I was looking at this last night and wondering how it would sit in that respect as I noticed the same thing - it will depend on how much sag there is with it's full weight on the ground so, what you've suggested might need required. I have seen a number of Locosts with multiple holds drilled in the chassis trailing arm mounts so it shouldn't be an issue if needs be.

You can have extra holes to tune the squat etc. I think the top arm controls that.

"Sag" isn't an issue because you can control the height with the coilover platform once its fully loaded.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
You can have extra holes to tune the squat etc. I think the top arm controls that.

"Sag" isn't an issue because you can control the height with the coilover platform once its fully loaded.

Yeah, I suppose so!

I'm currently working on the position of the wishbone brackets. The guys at Procomp, who set up Locosts for racing in England have been kind enough to give me some advice regarding position of the mounting points. I was advised that with the lower wishbone level, the upper wishbone should ideally have a 5 degree angle. That positions my brackets/arms something like so:

qV5TfOF.jpg

However, when retaining the original upper shock mounting position beneath the upper rail, it angles the shock very dramatically and I am wondering if this is ok? Bearing in mind that the lower wishbone is level, i.e. what it would be when at ride height, the shock would surely compress with full weight and therefore the shock won't be positioned at such a dramatic angle like this?

Would it be more appropriate to position the shocks like so:

XhhcqC8.jpg

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Guys at Procomp are well clued in.

You will need a shorter damper or else reconfigure the top mount to get a more direct input into the shock.

I think I can 12” open 7” closed shocks on the front of my widetracked westie

Attachments

• 43669D16-D61A-4D7F-9B34-B6D917AED7D4.jpeg
    43669D16-D61A-4D7F-9B34-B6D917AED7D4.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 287

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Guys at Procomp are well clued in.

You will need a shorter damper or else reconfigure the top mount to get a more direct input into the shock.

I think I can 12” open 7” closed shocks on the front of my widetracked westie

I've just switched the shocks around as I realised I had the front shocks in the rear LOL! Now I've got the front sorted and I don't think I will need to reposition the mounts:

k9lJK36.jpg

Now however, I have a 16" open length rear shock, which will be far too big! More stuff bought incorrectly!!

Vxomyp6.jpg

I do have about 2 inches of space where I could reposition axle shock mount lower down. The Ron Champion book suggests doing this and has pictures for reference where another builder has done this to accommodate a longer shock. Can you think of any reason why this shouldn't be done? The pic below shows the front shock mounted and it fits fine, however, I could position the new shock mount directly below by 2 inches in the hope that the 16" shock would work fine?

nFXuHqs.jpg

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So I got a good run at the car today and started out with the aim of having it rolling....

Repositioning the upper shock mounts to allow for a shock angle of 30 degrees from vertical meant squaring up the top rails.

t2Etzx6.jpg

tOxDpfa.jpg

Another jig for the top wishbone mounts kept everything square and a mirror image on each side.

6f7MysU.jpg

One side finished:

hE4LAsl.jpg

Many hours later and after repositioning the rear shock mounts to accommodate the longer rear shocks (please ignore the extremely positive camber for now - there's plenty of adjustment there to rectify later):

pH6yxZf.jpg

5zDEDfr.jpg

At this point, the bodywork had to go on lol:

OEf85OC.jpg

kawu7In.jpg

nwKFv9N.jpg

Waheeeyy, its rolling!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Great work! You’re progressing quickly. There’s me thinking I was doing well getting my diff fitted again!

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Happy days, top mounts moved will give you a better input from the shocker.

I wish I could get as much time in then garage as you! :sweat:

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Great work! You’re progressing quickly. There’s me thinking I was doing well getting my diff fitted again!

Haha, I'm extremely impatient so I'll cram as much is when I can. Thanks man!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Happy days, top mounts moved will give you a better input from the shocker.

I wish I could get as much time in then garage as you! :sweat:

Haha my girlfriend is VERY understanding lol. Yeah, the guys at procomp have been keeping me right. I moved the top mount as far out as I could and with the bottom shock mount 90mm from the ball joint, I ended up with a 35 degree shock angle. I think MK indy have around 45 degrees and are notoriously twitchy, whereas a Westfield has around 32 degrees. I'm told Westfields handle significantly better so mine shouldn't be too far off.

Last edited:

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Great work and taking the time to photograph and let us all see it. Would love to do something like this if I had the patience and time.
One thing worth a try for setting frameworks and brackets up is a parallel clamp or toolmakers clamp. When you get the hang of them they are far easier to use and adjust than a G clamp. Quite easy to make them too.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Great work and taking the time to photograph and let us all see it. Would love to do something like this if I had the patience and time.
One thing worth a try for setting frameworks and brackets up is a parallel clamp or toolmakers clamp. When you get the hang of them they are far easier to use and adjust than a G clamp. Quite easy to make them too.

Thanks mate!

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Fair play, you have progressed on alot in such a short period of time. Great work, cant wait to see it finished!

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
I was down at Kirkistown track day today and got a look around this

KxwK7S3.jpg

It's a fireblade turbo engined Sylva Striker. Awesome!

David Mutch’s old car, it’s actually the only other 7 I know that runs an Atlas axle. I thought it had been sold back to Scotland!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Fair play, you have progressed on alot in such a short period of time. Great work, cant wait to see it finished!

Thanks mate. The aim is to have it at the very least, driving back and forth in the garage by March so we must push on! lol I heard of some builds literally taking years and I have no idea how! Surely these people actually want to drive these things?!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
David Mutch’s old car, it’s actually the only other 7 I know that runs an Atlas axle. I thought it had been sold back to Scotland!

That's right! It has a baby atlas which is considerably narrower than mine but it certainly has no issues with the extra weight of it. I believe it runs around 200bhp and the engine was built by Jack Frost (the man famous for putting turbos on motorbikes lol).

Not keen on the front of it to be honest, but I am sure it's functional.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
It was running over 200bhp when David had it but it could well be turned down now. It's certainly a rabit thing in a straight line!

I'd say more builds take years than those that take months! I know personally I just wouldn't have the time to devote to it, feck I've been rebuilding mine since September and I think I've ticked one thing off my list in that time and it's nothing like starting from scratch!!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
It was running over 200bhp when David had it but it could well be turned down now. It's certainly a rabit thing in a straight line!

I'd say more builds take years than those that take months! I know personally I just wouldn't have the time to devote to it, feck I've been rebuilding mine since September and I think I've ticked one thing off my list in that time and it's nothing like starting from scratch!!

Yeah it could possibly have been turned down. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't slow - it overtook a McLaren 650s down the straight without an issue lol.

P.S. If I didn't see myself driving this thing during the summer, I don't think I would have the longterm incentive to keep building it! lol.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
P.S. If I didn't see myself driving this thing during the summer, I don't think I would have the longterm incentive to keep building it! lol.

The summer isn't that far away!!

Wait until you get your head melted for 5 days straight, in the middle of the wiring loom with a pair of side cutters in your hand.

Your looking at the Jerry Can and the box of matches, but you decide closing the garage door & Summer 2020 is a better Target!

Good luck :laughing::laughing:

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
The summer isn't that far away!!

Wait until you get your head melted for 5 days straight, in the middle of the wiring loom with a pair of side cutters in your hand.

Your looking at the Jerry Can and the box of matches, but you decide closing the garage door & Summer 2020 is a better Target!

Good luck :laughing::laughing:

Haha, no way!! It will be on the road for the summer - mark my words!