Long distance bike touring. Hints, tips and advice......

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
I'll start.

We went to Silverstone last year, learned a lot. One bike got a flat and the same guy then broke down randomly so had to take the train to the ferry to get home. He thought his insurance covered him but after a quick phone call he was informed that it did to an extent, getting his bike home was going to cost big time. Check your insurance covers you or that you have separate breakdown cover. We got talking to a couple of guys from the south of Ireland who had once got stuck in France. Nightmare.

My tip would be plan for redundancy. Bring a spare reg/rec under your seat along with the basic tools to get at your battery and get your fairings off. If you've got something which can burst, bring a repair kit. Have all your maintenance done before you leave. Check chain is oiled and tension is ok, check tyres, check oil level and you should be good for a long weekend. One good tool kit between us was plenty.

We camped and carried everything on the bikes, which was interesting.

20994279_10155717868617884_2973381809038102728_n.jpg

I found that it was handy stacking the tent and everything up high, I was able to lean back on it and rest a bit from time to time when we were stopped in traffic, at lights or whatever.

Brother's bike

20993063_10155717868632884_9030492068263907639_n.jpg

Three of us set up
21078738_10155717869837884_6067066060761826100_n.jpg

Returning home.
21106587_10155732468222884_7685119760562332934_n.jpg

What we learned between the three of us, in no particular order.

It would probably have been easier to stay in a B&B, and more comfortable. Maybe not as much of an adventure though.

Long distances can easily be done on sportbikes. Ours were very comfortable actually. Tank range was fine, we were never far from fuel and never close to running out. Good excuse to stop and stretch the legs.

600cc was plenty even with the weight on the back.

Don't overpack your rucksack, it will get heavy quickly. Carry your essentials in it, travel documents, money, snack and drink.

Share the load, you don't need 3 tool kits or three stoves. One person brings the tools, one brings the stove, one carries the map. Smartphones are brilliant as a GPS.

One large battery pack kept our three phones charged for 4 days. Just. Don't forget your charging cable.

Bring summer gloves and winter gloves. Spare pair never hurts and early mornings can be cold on a bike, even in summer time. Also something to cover your neck and bring a spare.

Clear visor with drop down sunshade or bring a dark and a clear visor.

Ear plugs. Lots of.

Tolls are a pain in the ass when you've to stop, take off a glove, find your money, pay, put glove on, forget to zip pocket, take glove off, zip up pocket, put glove on again......... you get the idea.

If you're carrying a load, no matter how well you have it strapped, it will move. Pack up, ride a bit, tighten up again. Don't forget to increase your tyre pressure, although it's not critical. None of us did and we all seemed fine.

Other road users got out of our way a lot on the mainland, which was nice. A whole queue of traffic in Wales moved to the left to let us up the middle for about a mile and a half. Then we got the f*cking puncture.

Brmingham rush hour traffic is a nightmare. Conversely, filtering is an awesome feeling.

We didn't need as much as we brought, would have been safer buying less food to bring with us and eating out more.

My inflatable mattress which was brand new out of the box was punctured, had no way to repair it and everywhere near Silverstone was completely sold out. Should have tested it before leaving instead of assuming it would be fine out of the box. If you're bringing it, check it before you leave.

I had a four man tent, which would only have been enough for 2. We got lucky with the weather but if it had been raining, we would have had a lot more time in the pub and probably a much more miserable experience.

Plan your routes, the way there you might want to go scenic, the way home you'll want to go fastest.

Get on the ferry early and get yourself a seat. Guys we met came across some poor chap who jumped off a bridge, brother and I missed it by 5 mins. If we'd been 5 minutes later we would have been held up for an hour.

Bring baby wipes if you're camping. Lots of baby wipes. Do not expect there to be any toilet roll provided.

Talk to other bikers, you can learn from them. We met a couple of older lads who travelled in RST jeans and with a tail pack for a weekend. They had done the camping thing and decided hotels were better, horses for courses. They had done a lot of MotoGP's and gave us some insights into a lot of other tracks too, which were worth doing and which weren't so great.

Feel free to add your own experiences :grinning:

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
With the exception of a May Day weekend trip down to Salthill, Galway - most of the big mileage days I did were as day trips with Quay Vipers MCC, but tramping on rightly got the miles in!

May Day weekend 2009 Galway

My tent literally blew itself to bits and started leaking as I put it up so turned out to be quite a soggy weekend. I'd ended up carrying more sheite that I didn't need than what I really could have done with. Turns out my waterproofs weren't, boots were overflowing by Monaghan and generally a very damp time was had. The spare boots I carried were ruined and on the return home my others were still soaking :sob::sob::sob: To top off an otherwise stellar weekend, a direct debit fooked up and my credit card locked out in a panic, so all I had was the euro in my wallet to survive a weekend + petrol home with (made it on fumes)

Petrol/pee break at Blacklion on the return, note the lack of tent (I may well still be in the campsite :joy:)

P5044010.jpg

Things I learned about touring and to an extent, myself.

Warn your bank/credit card provider that your cards will be used in the ROI

Panniers like the above are very spacious, but aren't waterproof so bag the stuff internally - the roll bag on Hugh's FZ1 parked beside my FZ6 is a good job IMO and simply won't move about the same

Camping after a 6-7hr wet ride is les miserables

Take a BMW rider and use their boxer engine to at the very least warm gloves on while stopped

Camping is les miserables - hostels BnB's are awesome and offer far more comfort for a little extra cost. When it comes to drying kit/boots etc this is(y) from me

^By using hostels etc you can then travel lighter and wash stuff / dry kit as required. I'll be taking kevlar jeans and short boots with me this year,suns out guns out and all that.

I want to start planning a trip now :grinning:

Last edited:

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I guess anything goes when it comes to touring. I remember seeing a German reg Ducati 916 at the Cliffs of Moher about 10 years ago. Pissn rain, covered in dirt with bin liner for a luggage cover strapped on the back. That's what I call sports touring.

Mabb

RMS Regular
Drives
MT10 X5
0DA6B078-820C-4AB7-A34B-1DBEF7FC68DE.jpeg

I travel a bit lighter, that’s all I took to France with me last year but I wasn’t camping.

Mabb

RMS Regular
Drives
MT10 X5
I think it’s only about 30l, my preferred setup is a rentec luggage rail with roll bag. I did about 2 weeks with this setup

B97B60C9-94F3-4FB1-BEDA-28CB66EDC3F1.jpeg
922EEC39-FDE6-4C3D-846B-63DB9B1347C5.jpeg

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Cool, think I'm on the right track with 40L. No camping gear etc and high chance of wearing my textile trousers so it's not a bulky item needing stored. Suppose I could always bag them separately on top of the tail bag

Mabb

RMS Regular
Drives
MT10 X5
Exactly! Travelling light is the way to go. I’d a mate came to Scotland with us one time (long weekend), he threw a pair of jeans, a shirt and a toothbrush into a backpack and survived lol

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
I did two decent road trips on my daytona 600 from Huntington Beach to Laguna seca for the MotoGP in 2010 and 2011. We camped out on the hill at the circuit. i made the mistake of underestimating how cold it would be at night (it was july in california!!) and i'd packed pretty light so ended up sleeping in some of my riding gear, so if nothing else i'll say make sure you pack for inclement weather, pack light for sure, but pack smart.

Fantastic fun riding in convoy with friends. Maybe this is just my age speaking now, but just make sure you know who you're riding with and that they are halfway sensible. We had one guy (friend of a friend) join us on an SV1000, he was insane, a total cop-magnet and took the shenanigans to a whole new level.

Mabb

RMS Regular
Drives
MT10 X5
I’ve been chased by the police in scotland, arrested at the side of the road in Wales, pulled over in France and given a bollocking by the gendarmerie, on the spot fined €150 in Spain and pulled by the traffic police in Belgium.

:joy::joy::joy:

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I'd just like to add that a pack of babywipes is handy to have on board if you're getting slack with the personal hygiene.

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
Drives
335i MT Touring
Real simple one, always overlooked, is to make sure you all know & plan how to ride together.
Ie finger and thumb point down = I need fuel. That rider should convey that msg to whoever is in front & then lead.
One fills up, everyone fills up. Don't want to be stopping far too much.
Left leg out, overtake me, right leg, I'm overtaking him. Opposite in euromainland
Also when riding in single file, stagger yourselves because the rider in front can't see you in his mirrors. Ie first biker on cars right hand tire path, next on left tire path next on right etc. Makes for quick head counting. Also means if someone needs passing to tell for fuel, they flash high beam, right path rider moves to left path, rider moves forward and repeats till leading

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
I've the TT booked for 5 days next year on the bike but need to get my luggage sorted. I've nothing for travelling with the bike at all so any advice on decent kit is welcome. I've an R6 so not exactly touring orientated. We'll probably be camping too, so that will probably take up alot of space. Any advice on panniers, tail and tank bags?

Dusty

RMS Regular
OP
Dusty
Drives
Honda CR-V
See pics above, none of us carried expensive kit bags or panniers. Mine were second hand off ebay and did the job grand.

Brother had a tank bag which he loved, i would have liked one but for a plastic tank makimg it too expensive for a single trip.

Luggage straps were adequate too. If you wamt to call round anytime i would be happy to show you how we loaded up and what we loaded with.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Any brands better than others? Any to avoid? Also i've removed the rear foot pegs on the R6, will they have to be put back on for panniers? As i'm not sure where they are.lol

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
IIRC oxford and kriega are more oriented to pillion seat fitment.

Have a look at Qbag on sportsbikeshop too.

Dusty

RMS Regular
OP
Dusty
Drives
Honda CR-V
Any brands better than others? Any to avoid? Also i've removed the rear foot pegs on the R6, will they have to be put back on for panniers? As i'm not sure where they are.lol

Kriega would be a premium brand. Oxford are a bit cheaper but still fairly good and Givi do a good range of tank bags etc as well. Rear foot pegs can be handy for attaching cargo straps/nets whatever but not essential.
You don't necessarily need a pillion seat, I didn't have one and just threw some non slip mesh from Home Bargains over the seat cowl which worked great and nothing got marked or scratched.

You can carry a rucksack too but I would only put essentials into it as it will get heavy and uncomfortable very quickly.

Tommy

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo
A few years back I travelled from the very south of Vietnam to the North in a 1980s Honda 110cc. Such an adventure. Loved that bike. Below setup was perfect, bag on fuel tank for important items and rucksack contained my life from living in Oz from 3 years.

FB_IMG_1532949568755.jpg

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
Drives
335i MT Touring
I've the TT booked for 5 days next year on the bike but need to get my luggage sorted. I've nothing for travelling with the bike at all so any advice on decent kit is welcome. I've an R6 so not exactly touring orientated. We'll probably be camping too, so that will probably take up a lot of space. Any advice on panniers, tail and tank bags?

I have oxford panniers designed for sports bikes which you can borrow, they have waterproof covers and are expandable. £50 deposit which you'll receive on your return. I'm in Coleraine. I took a 3 week trip to Scotland which included work boots and all my clothes for 3 weeks. I bought a cheap tank bag too but a strap broke on it. They were perfect on my CBR600 so will be perfect for an R6. You could strap any extra camp gear or whatever across the back seat and around the panniers no sweat.

Only issue is they're red and your R6 is likely blue lol.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
I have oxford panniers designed for sports bikes which you can borrow, they have waterproof covers and are expandable. £50 deposit which you'll receive on your return. I'm in Coleraine. I took a 3 week trip to Scotland which included work boots and all my clothes for 3 weeks. I bought a cheap tank bag too but a strap broke on it. They were perfect on my CBR600 so will be perfect for an R6. You could strap any extra camp gear or whatever across the back seat and around the panniers no sweat.

Only issue is they're red and your R6 is likely blue lol.

Thanks for the offer, but im looking to invest in a pair as i'm hoping to do a few BSB meetings next year too. What model are they though? Just to have a look at them online

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I’ve just bought a Hepco & Becker sportrack for the S1K which seems a good job. Replaces the pillion seat/cowl and locks in place, then I’ll be strapping on a Kriega US30 and then a Wunderlich tank bag. Should give me enough space for the touring about I’ve planned for next time I’m home.

Not sure if they do the sport rack for the R6 an all, but could be worth a look also

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.