Looking ECM Reload (keys) on a Volvo S40 in the North West

steamship

RMS Member
Drives
2001 Audi A8
I've a friend who picked up a 2008 Volvo S40 recently. It had been sitting for a while, so battery wasn't the best. He had planned to tidy up, renew brakes and some suspension parts, but has fallen foul of a known problem (which he wasn't aware of at the time) with Volvos losing sync with the keys and ECM. As a result, the car won't start, won't even crank. Prior to discovering the sync issue, we've been through all the fuses and relays, confirmed that the started motor was working, put in a new battery and renewed batteries in both keys.

I've been searching online for people who can resync the keys, but can't find anyone in Northern Ireland that can do it. I did locate one person in England, but you have to hire their equipment (laptop and VIDA box), and then pay them on top of that for the ECM reload remotely. With all the other stuff that needs done, by the time all this has been paid for, he reckons the car isn't worth it.

Is anyone aware of anyone in NI that can do it that I can contact for more information?

Calco

RMS Regular
Drives
Octavia
In my experience, it's a volvo dealer job only. I don't think it's overly expensive.