LR Discovery 3 Handbrake Issue

k20_chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything Boring
Has anybody got much experience with LR in general?
My mother in law has a Doscovery 3 and is having an issue with the handbrake.
When its applied its throwing up a fault on the dash and making an awful squealing noise. Extremely loud and annoying.
I've had it with my mechanic twice now. Apparantly it's quite common from reading online.
Theres meant to be a specific way to adjust the rear shoes etc and this is meant to sort it.
Problem is my mechanic doesnt have any experience with LR in general and nobody local seems to know much about them or want to touch them.
I noticed last night that it releases the handbrake but nearly as if the rear calipers are binding slightly. Both calipers have been checked and aren't seized and are free.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I have a '14 Freelander 2 with the same handbrake system on it. There is a non diagnostic method to put the calipers in service mode to allow you to change pads and discs etc. Then putting it back into normal mode winds the calipers back in and adjusts them. I got the procedure off a disco thread on an LR forum and it worked a treat for me on the FL when I was changing the rear discs and pads so I'd suggest running that to see if it corrects any adjustment issues.
I have it bookmarked on my laptop at home so I'll edit this and fire up a link later.

Procedure is:

Ensure its in park or neutral and the park brake deactivated and ignition turned on.

1. Press and hold the parking brake switch in the release position.

2. Wait 2 seconds

3. Press and hold the accelerator pedal in the wide open throttle position.

4. Wait 2 seconds

5. Turn ignition off and on immediately whilst still finger on park button and foot on throttle.

6. An audible noise will confirm service mode, it will also be displayed on dash.

You will hear the brake motors activate for a while.

Deactivation

with ignition on.

1. Press and hold the parking brake switch in the apply position.

2. Wait 2 seconds

3. Press and hold the accelerator pedal in the wide open throttle position.

4. Wait 2 seconds

5. Turn ignition off and on again. keeping finger on park button and foot on throttle.

@k20_chunky
Easy peasey.....
*may need 3 hands and a passing familiarity with the hokey-cokey*

Last edited:

Robin_Hood

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender
When its applied its throwing up a fault on the dash and making an awful squealing noise. Extremely loud and annoying.
I've had it with my mechanic twice now. Apparantly it's quite common from reading online.
Theres meant to be a specific way to adjust the rear shoes etc and this is meant to sort it.
Problem is my mechanic doesnt have any experience with LR in general and nobody local seems to know much about them or want to touch them.
I noticed last night that it releases the handbrake but nearly as if the rear calipers are binding slightly. Both calipers have been checked and aren't seized and are free.

Download this on PDF - it has every bit of info on the Discovery braking system.
Was invaluable during my Discovery ownership đź‘Ť

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Sounds like it might have stretched the cables and/or the actuator is on the way out. Suggest you get it checked with someone who knows them. Beyond Performance in Mallusk or BLRC in Saintfield or William Patton in Kells/Ballymena.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
its needs adjusted at the shoes. stop using it until its fixed as you will destroy the actuator and they are not cheap. Same as L320 RRS if I remember right. Take the rear discs off and check the shoes and that the cable hasn't jumped out of the shoe slot on each side. (happened me before after it had been sitting up for a while).

If they are good, disc back on, adjust right up to its locked and back off the adjuster 6 clicks. Repeat for the other side. Should fix it.

k20_chunky

RMS Regular
OP
k20_chunky
Drives
Anything Boring
How can you tell if the actuator is passed it or not?

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Where are you? I might be able to run a diagnostic for you but id have to do a bit of research to interpret it

dddrrift

RMS Regular
set the handbrake correctly before messing with diagnostics. all you will be able to do is latch or unlatch it or read codes.

when you put the handbrake on with the button does it sound ok for a few seconds then screech its head off? if so then all it needs is adjusted correctly.

Dexter mcf

RMS Regular
Drives
Orion ghia, XR3i
If its squealing it will need replaced, only a matter of time before it sticks on and leaves her stranded then you have to rip apart the cables to get it moving, not fun at all.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
If its squealing it will need replaced, only a matter of time before it sticks on and leaves her stranded then you have to rip apart the cables to get it moving, not fun at all.
There is an emergency release under the console behind the gearstick. Use the jack handle through the loop to get a better pull though it takes a fair degree of effort. I presume that's what you meant by "rip apart the cables"?