M.O.T 6 month exemptions.

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
Morning folks,

I had heard earlier on TV about offering 6 month M.O.T exemptions from end of March , however I don't know if that will apply to N.I or just the mainland?. How does this work then, do you book your test and then an exemption letter is issued as a cover letter should you be stopped?. My biggest question is this.. if you have a car that has been in storage and current test has expired and you wish to book one , will you still get an exemption letter given the test had previously expired?. Obviously in current climate this is trivial but I'm thinking ahead for a few months down the line just to have in place. Final question.. if you do get an exemption letter and your tax expires, can the exemption letter cover for taxing the vehicle?

Cheers

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
My first mot is three weeks away! Prob be closed by then but I’ll be using my car for essential duties anyways mot or not!

coling2005

RMS Regular
Drives
Altea, ATR, CRX
I just last week booked a couple of appointments for cars that are Sorn'd and out of MOT, earliest appointment was end May, hard to know if things will be open by then, and if so whether my appointments will be pushed back to make room for backlog of cancellations.
I'd expect extensions/exemptions would be only valid on vehicles that have a current MOT, or under 4 years old and currently are road legal.
I know they had been prioritising vehicles that did not have a current MOT when the whole lift saga was going on.

iceworx

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf 20v turbo
I currently have a four month exemption certificate for my TT which expires in around two months and it can be used for taxation purposes. Now that all the test centres have closed I would expect an extension to the exemption certificate but who knows what will happen.

Last edited:

iceworx

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf 20v turbo
Check out the info here ..........

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
OP
Shannonsir
Drives
Camaro SS
Happy days thanks for posting that, so TEC's are issued for both expired and soon to expire vehicles with providing MOT has been booked and cancelled by the DVA. I'm sure others will have the same questions soon enough.

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
OP
Shannonsir
Drives
Camaro SS
I agree, but was more for planning down the line that's all, which could turn out to also be a waste of time but I need something to look ahead to or I'm going to end up going insane.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
If I've a car and the MOT expired last winter and I was planning on putting it back on the road for summer, how's that work?

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
My cars for MOT in june, hopefully that'll be extended and I'll just retire it in September after 3 years of ownership.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
If I've a car and the MOT expired last winter and I was planning on putting it back on the road for summer, how's that work?

My dads car was due last week for test but dad didn’t go as it’s smarter he stays at home at the minute. I wasn’t free to run it up, was planning organising it this week. And now there shut and country is meant to be on lock down. So not sure where that leaves him and able to use it. The cars A1 and would walk test.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Wait for Nichola Mallon to make an announcement. Transport is devolved (obviously) she will have to update the current TECs on the system or bring up new legislation.

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
OP
Shannonsir
Drives
Camaro SS
So don't book anything yet then if you're planning to bring anything out of hibernation? If I could get a 6 month TEC that would see me through this year for all I plan to use it.

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
i was on to boucher road about this yesterday, i have a bike which was not used last year but cannot get a mot date or tec. the end result was they said they have,not a clue and just to wait.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
My dads car was due last week for test but dad didn’t go as it’s smarter he stays at home at the minute. I wasn’t free to run it up, was planning organising it this week. And now there shut and country is meant to be on lock down. So not sure where that leaves him and able to use it. The cars A1 and would walk test.
Mine was driven into the garage after the last MOT and hasn't turned a wheel since. Hopefully it will walk it again, I was just hoping to have it out for summer.

i was on to boucher road about this yesterday, i have a bike which was not used last year but cannot get a mot date or tec. the end result was they said they have,not a clue and just to wait.
Can you still make bookings online? I've a bike here that needs it's first MOT in 15 years too. Bloody typical.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Mine was driven into the garage after the last MOT and hasn't turned a wheel since. Hopefully it will walk it again, I was just hoping to have it out for summer.

Can you still make bookings online? I've a bike here that needs it's first MOT in 15 years too. Bloody typical.

If its sat for 15 years surely another few months wont do any harm?

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
If its sat for 15 years surely another few months wont do any harm?

It was stripped and sat in boxes for a good lot of those years. I spent the last few years gathering parts then the last 8 months restoring/building it with an aim of getting it on the road for Easter along with my dad and a few of his friends. Waiting a few months won't do any harm, no. I was just wondering if I could still ride it with just tax/insurance if the MOT was booked.

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
It was stripped and sat in boxes for a good lot of those years. I spent the last few years gathering parts then the last 8 months restoring/building it with an aim of getting it on the road for Easter along with my dad and a few of his friends. Waiting a few months won't do any harm, no. I was just wondering if I could still ride it with just tax/insurance if the MOT was booked.
how do you tax it without M.O.T?

Kampfer

RMS Member
MOT update for 4 years old car:
(Coronavirus (Covid 19) and motoring | nidirect)

Four year old cars will, from 26 March 2020, be given a Temporary Exemption Certificate (TEC) for six months from the date that their MOT test should have been due. This will allow the vehicle to be taxed and driven on the road. Issuing the certificates will take some time but the exemption will automatically apply from the due date.

Temporary Exemption Certificate (TEC)

Arrangements are in place to make sure that those vehicles whose MOT certificates have expired or will expire within eight weeks, are granted an automatic Temporary Exemption Certificate (TEC). This TEC will issue well in advance of the expiry date, to provide assurances to customers that they may continue to drive.

This will give a temporary exemption from the legal requirement to hold an MOT certificate up to the new date on the TEC. The paper copy of the certificate, with the new expiry date, will be sent to the registered keeper's address - allow up to 10 days for delivery.

However, this can only be granted for tests already booked by customers and cancelled by the DVA.

It remains the responsibility of the vehicle owner to make sure their car is in a roadworthy condition to be used on a public road.

dougie_rs

RMS Regular

I had a car that's mot expired October 19 so I booked one last week and got a date in May!

I checked it mot status again online today and it's now showing as expires July 20 so might be worth booking it and check it's status in few days time

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
So one of our cars us due its first MOT in May.

Is it only cars with current MOTs that need to book and then be cancelled or is it new cars as well?

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Anyone know how to bring a car off sorn that’s got a mot extension. Can it be done online or need to go to the post office ?

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
My car is due it’s MOT, so in order to get the 6 month exemption, I have to book a test first, or will they just send me an exemption out in the post?

Last edited:

coling2005

RMS Regular
Drives
Altea, ATR, CRX
I had a car that's mot expired October 19 so I booked one last week and got a date in May!

I checked it mot status again online today and it's now showing as expires July 20 so might be worth booking it and check it's status in few days time
I'm in the same boat, expired July 19 and have appointment made last week booked for May, however still shows as expired in July 19.