M.O.T 6 month exemptions.

Weelenny

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic Type R FD2
Booked mot on Thursday for the middle of June some time, the mot had expired at the start of March, just checked and it’s been updated to August

B86FCC1C-F34A-48AB-A0EB-C377CAD410CB.png

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
They sent me a reminder letter for the JCW yesterday, MOT expires in May. Do I try book a test as normal or just wait and see if they extend ?

Coronavirus (Covid 19) and motoring | nidirect
  • Four year old cars and all motorbikes will be given a Temporary Exemption Certificate (TEC) for six months from the date that their MOT test should have been due.
  • Cars five years old or over will continue to be issued with a four month TEC, which will allow owners to tax and continue to drive their vehicle on the road
  • Arrangements are in place to make sure that those vehicles whose MOT certificates have expired or will expire within eight weeks, are granted an automatic Temporary Exemption Certificate (TEC).
  • This TEC will issue well in advance of the expiry date, to provide assurances to customers that they may continue to drive.
  • This will give a temporary exemption from the legal requirement to hold an MOT certificate up to the new date on the TEC.
  • However, this can only be granted for tests already booked by customers and cancelled by the DVA.

Tam9n

RMS Regular
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
Arrangements are in place to make sure that those vehicles whose MOT certificates have expired or will expire within eight weeks, are granted

Sounds good to me!

JB1750

Hmm... I booked an MOT in March, for 17th April (expires on 16th)
Haven’t heard anything from DVA and checker still shows up as expiring in the 16th April.
Don’t like it getting this close and don’t want to end up with no MOT
Any thoughts - has it slipped through the net?? obviously no way to contact them - Maybe time to cancel and rebook...

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
OP
Shannonsir
Drives
Camaro SS
I got a slot booked for Ards tonight for the car. Will see how quickly a TEC comes , if at all. The cars text expired in January and it's currently sorn and only coming out of storage today so will be interesting to see how this pans out of the next few days.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Booked Sunday night for yesterday morning, was out mid November. Just waiting for the TEC now to tax it. Using away at it already though!
Screenshot_20200407_135756_com.android.chrome.jpg

Igxom

RMS Regular
Definitely seems very random to me.

I've still heard nothing, received no letter, can't book another test as there's already a 'live' booking in the system for the 2nd April. Now not taxed either since I can't do that without an MOT.

Paul.

RMS Regular
I fancy bringing the Sierra back out but it's slightly out of MOT... by about two years.

Is there anything I can do? I know there was exemption if the MOT had expired within something like six months, but that's not going to work for me.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Definitely seems very random to me.

I've still heard nothing, received no letter, can't book another test as there's already a 'live' booking in the system for the 2nd April. Now not taxed either since I can't do that without an MOT.
Check it online, it may have been updated there.

RevT

RMS Regular
I fancy bringing the Sierra back out but it's slightly out of MOT... by about two years.

Is there anything I can do? I know there was exemption if the MOT had expired within something like six months, but that's not going to work for me.

It looks like it could go back further, there is no way they can officially prevent you as far as I can see, they can’t provide a way of testing so they have to allow the same as the rest.

Paul.

RMS Regular
It looks like it could go back further, there is no way they can officially prevent you as far as I can see, they can’t provide a way of testing so they have to allow the same as the rest.

Book it and see what happens, you think?

RevT

RMS Regular
Yep, I’ll be doing the same.

It’ll be a way of alot of people getting old registrations off scrap vehicles that they have sitting about if it does work that way.

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
OP
Shannonsir
Drives
Camaro SS
24 hours on and no change in my MOT status. Is there an operational email address during this or is everything shut down / automated?

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
My Corsa had an English MOT prior to me buying it. Booked my MOT had a date in time etc, but the centre was closed when the date came round.
Car is still showing as no MOT, and can't be taxed etc.

Dexter mcf

RMS Regular
Drives
Orion ghia, XR3i
I've just motd 2 cars one was out of mot just over a year one nearly 2 years both got mot til July both are in good order though and all work done 👍

Bryan

RMS Regular
How long did you have to wait? I've been waiting over 2 weeks for one car and just over a week for an other.

Robin_Hood

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender
My Corsa had an English MOT prior to me buying it. Booked my MOT had a date in time etc, but the centre was closed when the date came round.
Car is still showing as no MOT, and can't be taxed etc.

i have this issue with my Mini.
MOT now expired, date was booked and now I can’t tax it.

brendy

RMS Regular
I've tried phoning, emailing and contacting all manners of numbers and government sites , not had a reply from any which is expected during this pandemic but I'd have thought an automated system would be in place which checks mot date , date booked and centre closures then issues exemptions. Other folks seem to be having more success before and after my efforts too which seems odd.

RevT

RMS Regular
I don’t want to jinx myself but I’ve got lucky in relation to my problem of not being able to book an online test for my English car just brought over as it’s not on the NI database. Luckily I know four MOT examiners and the first one I spoke to said he’ll get an admin fella to sort it on Friday. Hopefully able to book it on Friday when he adds all the vehicle details and I’m to send him the booking reference number right away so he can issue the extension.

Hopefully this works as I’ve been trying every number and email address daily for the past week.

Rooneyrocket

RMS Regular
Drives
CRV
I've tried phoning, emailing and contacting all manners of numbers and government sites , not had a reply from any which is expected during this pandemic but I'd have thought an automated system would be in place which checks mot date , date booked and centre closures then issues exemptions. Other folks seem to be having more success before and after my efforts too which seems odd.

Would they all not be working from home

Dave..

RMS Regular
Have you tried contacting your local mp? I did via Facebook and got a reply within half an hour. I also posted on their page that I had contacted them.