M140i

Nigel kyle

RMS Regular
Drives
Bmw m3 e46
I was watching too many motech videos on YouTube which got me into the maxton accessories. The splitter is the most aggressive one the v3. All the motech edition m140’s use the v1 version which is more subtle and in hind sight the one I’d probably go for again.
Car is on standard suspension but the spacers seem to visually lower it. With the splitter on I’ll keep it that way. These speed bumps are everywhere now. Don’t fancy been like a lowered Leon and goin over bumps like a crab at 1mph.

RComms

RMS Regular
OP
RComms
Drives
E63
What’s the real life mpg on these?

Early days for me to be honest. First day or two when I wasn't driving it that sensibly, it was low 20's. It's now sitting up near 30. I see some owners are saying they get mid to high 30's, but that must be mainly motorways to be honest!

@PeteMoore , thanks! Yeah, thought I may as well keep something! Not quite as fun as the rest of the car 🤪. It was just sitting gathering dust though 😟.

RComms

RMS Regular
OP
RComms
Drives
E63
So a few weeks in, and i'm enjoying ownership so far. I've only managed to use a tank of fuel in that time, with working at home and not travelling alot! Still trying to find excuses to do lots of 'messages' to be honest. Very much enjoying something fun to jump into though it has to be said.

I've gone ahead with pretty much everything I was thinking about doing to it! Differential is now booked in for September, which meant I've gone ahead and ordered up a Bilstein B12 kit for it in the meantime. I'm broadly pretty happy with the way it drives, but the rear springs I think are just abit too jarring. Not really a fan of just changing springs on their own, so hopefully the B12 will retain the firm damping but have a slightly softer spring rate from what I'm reading. We shall see! Shouldn't lower it that much either from examples that i've seen.

Aside from that, I ordered up some black badging to replace the grey/silver OEM badges. Then the postman arrived with some other goodies during the week...

IMG_0014.jpg

A gloss black Reiger rear bumper insert / 'diffuser'. That should sort the last 'grey' element of the supposed shadow edition.. Also order a maxton v1 lip spoiler. Fitted them both last night, and i'm really happy with the result. Nothing to crazy, but definitely helps to finish it abit better and make the back abit more purposeful.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200704103820048_COVER.jpg

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200704103830497_COVER.jpg

IMG_20200704_103800.jpg

IMG_20200704_103933.jpg

IMG_20200704_103915.jpg

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200704103846171_COVER.jpg

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
So a few weeks in, and i'm enjoying ownership so far. I've only managed to use a tank of fuel in that time, with working at home and not travelling alot! Still trying to find excuses to do lots of 'messages' to be honest. Very much enjoying something fun to jump into though it has to be said.

I've gone ahead with pretty much everything I was thinking about doing to it! Differential is now booked in for September, which meant I've gone ahead and ordered up a Bilstein B12 kit for it in the meantime. I'm broadly pretty happy with the way it drives, but the rear springs I think are just abit too jarring. Not really a fan of just changing springs on their own, so hopefully the B12 will retain the firm damping but have a slightly softer spring rate from what I'm reading. We shall see! Shouldn't lower it that much either from examples that i've seen.

Aside from that, I ordered up some black badging to replace the grey/silver OEM badges. Then the postman arrived with some other goodies during the week...

View attachment 285905

A gloss black Reiger rear bumper insert / 'diffuser'. That should sort the last 'grey' element of the supposed shadow edition.. Also order a maxton v1 lip spoiler. Fitted them both last night, and i'm really happy with the result. Nothing to crazy, but definitely helps to finish it abit better and make the back abit more purposeful.

View attachment 285911

View attachment 285913

View attachment 285915

View attachment 285914

View attachment 285918

View attachment 285920

Looks well, although its crying out for the front splitter now.

RComms

RMS Regular
OP
RComms
Drives
E63
I’m not typically a fan of splitters, but I did think it would suit it even before doing the rear!

Holding off until I get the B12 kit on though, to see what the ride height is like, then we’ll see 😁.

RComms

RMS Regular
OP
RComms
Drives
E63
A tail of two halves today. A complete stinker of a monday in work, while the wee 140 was away getting the B12 dampers and springs fitted. Decided some therapy was needed in the form of a drive to clear the head. Its quite remarkable how you can be in some absolutely stunning places in this country within 15 minutes. Such a great evening for a drive. Quiet roads, and views I seem to appreciate more and more these days.

I also appreciated how refreshing it is to just jump into something on the driveway, and go for a drive on an evening like this. Have definitely missed that through a combination of diesels and lanes/nav cars over the last 15 years or so.

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

As for the updated suspension, its early days, but initially I'm pleased I bit the bullet. Its remarkable how much more compliant the rear feels as a result. The stock units didn't really bother me that much, but I definitely appreciate the lack of thumps from the back. It seems tobe exactly what i wanted so far. Firm, but not crashy and more comfortable without a massive drop. It may drop abit further over the next wee while, but it seems to be a mere 10mm or so difference that stock, which i'm happy with. If it stays around that height, the front lip will get done. Quaife is still booked in for September. Only other thing really is a change of plate.

oh. yeah. and trying to resist a remap. 🙈. After tonight's drive, i'm convinced it totally doesn't need it. It would be illogical to do it.

So its a maybe. 🤦‍♂️

Deleted member 13907

D
Think I saw you the other week - it was a Thursday night maybe a couple of weeks ago. You were coming through Gilford, heading for Scarva. I was on the bike, at the bottom of the Loughbrickland Road as you passed. Car sounded immense - not offensively loud or anything - just a really nice note.

RComms

RMS Regular
OP
RComms
Drives
E63
Think I saw you the other week - it was a Thursday night maybe a couple of weeks ago. You were coming through Gilford, heading for Scarva. I was on the bike, at the bottom of the Loughbrickland Road as you passed. Car sounded immense - not offensively loud or anything - just a really nice note.

Saw you on the bike that night, yep! Hard to miss you in those pink sunnies :cool:. It was a bad omen last night.... I went out for a drive rather than out on the bike :neutral:

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
A tail of two halves today. A complete stinker of a monday in work, while the wee 140 was away getting the B12 dampers and springs fitted. Decided some therapy was needed in the form of a drive to clear the head. Its quite remarkable how you can be in some absolutely stunning places in this country within 15 minutes. Such a great evening for a drive. Quiet roads, and views I seem to appreciate more and more these days.

I also appreciated how refreshing it is to just jump into something on the driveway, and go for a drive on an evening like this. Have definitely missed that through a combination of diesels and lanes/nav cars over the last 15 years or so.

View attachment 289028

View attachment 289029

View attachment 289027

As for the updated suspension, its early days, but initially I'm pleased I bit the bullet. Its remarkable how much more compliant the rear feels as a result. The stock units didn't really bother me that much, but I definitely appreciate the lack of thumps from the back. It seems tobe exactly what i wanted so far. Firm, but not crashy and more comfortable without a massive drop. It may drop abit further over the next wee while, but it seems to be a mere 10mm or so difference that stock, which i'm happy with. If it stays around that height, the front lip will get done. Quaife is still booked in for September. Only other thing really is a change of plate.

oh. yeah. and trying to resist a remap. 🙈. After tonight's drive, i'm convinced it totally doesn't need it. It would be illogical to do it.

So its a maybe. 🤦‍♂️

Love that road, came across it totally by accident on a trip home from Newcastle one weekend.

RComms

RMS Regular
OP
RComms
Drives
E63
Love that road, came across it totally by accident on a trip home from Newcastle one weekend.

I first came across it when i was out for a cycle.... hence my first instinct wasn't to love it. Complete barsteward on a bike :sob:. Great in the car :grinning:🌄. Camera doesn't do it justice as you'll know. One of the best views of the mournes imho.

Where abouts is it? Ballyward direction?

I love the remap logic :laughing:

Yep, Its Windy Gap Kev. 15 minutes up the road from here. If you get it on a nice evening, the sun is behind you and shining straight unto the mountains. stunning.

I've man logic'ed the life out of the remap, and it doesn't make any sense :laughing: . I can't justify it in any way. I've not yet been in a scenario on the road, where I've felt I need that amount of power (I'm kinda past wanting to 'keep up' with uber M's and RS6's on the motorway).

KevM

RMS Regular
I was actually up that general direction just last week. Me & the wee man went to get petrol in the town and ended up on the Dree hill road past Slieve Croob. The views are unreal!!

RComms

RMS Regular
OP
RComms
Drives
E63
I was actually up that general direction just last week. Me & the wee man went to get petrol in the town and ended up on the Dree hill road past Slieve Croob. The views are unreal!!

If you ever take the notion, we park up at croob and take our ones a dander up to the transmitter. They usually gurn about wanting to play their nintendo switch for most of the walk, but the view off the back of croob down across the mourns is great (y)

Andy55

RMS Regular
Great choice! I recently went through the same dilemma of Golf R/S3/M135i etc and opted for an M140i.
The straight 6 is a peach.
Must keep an eye out for you on the roads.

RComms

RMS Regular
OP
RComms
Drives
E63
Not an awful lot to report in the past few months! I've held off on the LSD, as I've really been enjoying driving it with the B12 kit to be honest. I've also (somehow) managed to resist a remap. Its not really got alot of use (as per alot of 2nd cars this year!), but its still massively fun and great to hop in to.

Biggest news I suppose is, in an unexpected turn of events, we've decided to take a look at a camper van for next year 🏖️. Which in turn means, i'm advertising it. Still not wholly convinced I want to part with it though! 8o|

If it doesn't garner any interest, I'll take it as a sign we should buy a tent instead 🎪:laughing:

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Not an awful lot to report in the past few months! I've held off on the LSD, as I've really been enjoying driving it with the B12 kit to be honest. I've also (somehow) managed to resist a remap. Its not really got alot of use (as per alot of 2nd cars this year!), but its still massively fun and great to hop in to.

Biggest news I suppose is, in an unexpected turn of events, we've decided to take a look at a camper van for next year 🏖️. Which in turn means, i'm advertising it. Still not wholly convinced I want to part with it though! 8o|

If it doesn't garner any interest, I'll take it as a sign we should buy a tent instead 🎪:laughing:
Good advert shouldn’t sit long.

small note is that you start off saying it’s a 2007 car lol