M3 crushed for being cut and shut

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Because then the cops would be seen as being no better than the presumed thief's who stole said parts to create the car in the first place

Likely trying to convey a message to lads looking to build similar cars in the future, that if they think it's creation is hiding stolen parts that they won't hesitate to destroy it.
Agreed, they just went about it in the most ham-fisted way possible, when it couldve been straight at the start re the actual extent of issues with it. The video would've been better without pc smug on it too 😂

Instead they initially put the issue as 'm3 estate, they didn't do those, clearly a cut and shut'. Despite it turning out to be a parcel, they couldve just put some more info and less exaggeration in the initial post. I'd imagine the insurance companies have already paid out on the stolen vehicles so nothing could be touched.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
This thread seems to have escalated quickly lol

Awful to see a lovely motor like that crushed and one would question why the car was not stripped for parts, interior and exterior and just the body shell crushed.
Because it was made from a bunch of stolen cars... 🙈 By criminals... 🙈

I have no idea if the current owner was in on it or not, but given all the attempts to remove numbers they can't have been totally oblivious... It's possible they were completely naive and got scammed, but it doesn't change a thing.

Police don't just seize and destroy private property at a whim. There's a judicial process. In this case the current owner was able to commission their own independent assessment to challenge the Police forensic work.

That assessment came to the same conclusion - the "lovely car" was badly put together, dangerous, and made from several stolen cars.

That's all there is to it.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Goal achieved with this one I think. Smug PC, deliberate lack of detail, people up in arms and talking about it everywhere…

Markhall

RMS Regular
Drives
Ax gt, defender
If it was illegal and justified being taken off the road that's fair enough.
My problem is the value of money of parts on that thing being crushed. Surely selling the parts off it and donating the money to a charity would have been a more suitable way to dispose of it. Even if they didn't want the engine back on the road there's bound to have been an easy 15k there in interior, panels, wheels suspension etc.
To me it was criminal disposing of it

purplea4T

RMS Regular
If it was illegal and justified being taken off the road that's fair enough.
My problem is the value of money of parts on that thing being crushed. Surely selling the parts off it and donating the money to a charity would have been a more suitable way to dispose of it. Even if they didn't want the engine back on the road there's bound to have been an easy 15k there in interior, panels, wheels suspension etc.
To me it was criminal disposing of it
Its already been said here, the police can't be responsible for selling parts with no providence, plus it isn't actually theirs to sell. The parts belong to someone, whether different insurers or a genuine m3 owner whos been deprived of his parts/car.
They don't want anything involved in it back on the road.

Markhall

RMS Regular
Drives
Ax gt, defender
Its already been said here, the police can't be responsible for selling parts with no providence, plus it isn't actually theirs to sell. The parts belong to someone, whether different insurers or a genuine m3 owner whos been deprived of his parts/car.
They don't want anything involved in it back on the road.
The fella who has been deprived of his car parts didn't get them back and I'd imagine they were compensated by their insurance.
I understand not wanting the engine etc back on the road but non traceable parts like the bits I'd mentioned shouldn't just be ruined imo.
I understand the legalities I just hate wastage with so many people in need

purplea4T

RMS Regular
The fella who has been deprived of his car parts didn't get them back and I'd imagine they were compensated by their insurance.
I understand not wanting the engine etc back on the road but non traceable parts like the bits I'd mentioned shouldn't just be ruined imo.
But the Police are then facilitating the use of stolen parts, that's the legalities of it, whether theres people in need or not.
Have a look at the Pistonheads thread, the guy who was the dismantler even said it was a scrapper and it was all done in line with the current guidance, and the possibility of the owner being involved in a high value vehicle theft ring.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Because then the cops would be seen as being no better than the presumed thief's who stole said parts to create the car in the first place

Likely trying to convey a message to lads looking to build similar cars in the future, that if they think it's creation is hiding stolen parts that they won't hesitate to destroy it.

Destroying possibly the victims car, whilst not hunting down the criminals....just sends the wrong message, although not unexpected of the law.

They certainly have not made then allegation that the owner was the thief or that they built the car have they ?

So who is the victim, who is the thief ? Who even built the car ? Is it much different from what many body repair shops do to crashed cars ?

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Destroying possibly the victims car, whilst not hunting down the criminals....just sends the wrong message, although not unexpected of the law.

They certainly have not made then allegation that the owner was the thief or that they built the car have they ?

So who is the victim, who is the thief ? Who even built the car ? Is it much different from what many body repair shops do to crashed cars ?
Have you read the Pistonheads thread Stevie? Theres a suggestion that a chap who won a show trophy with the car had been involved in a high value car theft ring. He's named, pictured and links to various court reports given, so I think there may be more to the story than is being let on.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
The actual thefts are most likely still part of an active police investigation the police aren’t going to be giving out details of an investigation.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Have you read the Pistonheads thread Stevie? Theres a suggestion that a chap who won a show trophy with the car had been involved in a high value car theft ring. He's named, pictured and links to various court reports given, so I think there may be more to the story than is being let on.

Nope haven't seen or read it.

So if they are involved in some organised ring....what are the police doing about that ?

robert106

RMS Regular
Drives
172 clio
It’s like the clarkson / top gear evo from years ago that had been confiscated from a drugs dealer. They basically gave it a good send off before driving the tank over it.

This story as said is short on specific details that would make it easier to understand.
Seems likely to me that there was enough dubious parts that thy could determine where stolen or couldn’t verify were legitimate, coupled with the owner being involved in a chop shop operation that it was actually an easy decision to crush it .

I think we need to accept that He stole cars and on the balance of probabilities some of them ended up in this.

What I can’t fathom is that if he was a crim why he drew attention to him self by driving round in a collection of his too hot to handle parts . Surely if that was your chosen line of business your own cars would be 100% legit

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
It’s like the clarkson / top gear evo from years ago that had been confiscated from a drugs dealer. They basically gave it a good send off before driving the tank over it.

This story as said is short on specific details that would make it easier to understand.
Seems likely to me that there was enough dubious parts that thy could determine where stolen or couldn’t verify were legitimate, coupled with the owner being involved in a chop shop operation that it was actually an easy decision to crush it .

I think we need to accept that He stole cars and on the balance of probabilities some of them ended up in this.

What I can’t fathom is that if he was a crim why he drew attention to him self by driving round in a collection of his too hot to handle parts . Surely if that was your chosen line of business your own cars would be 100% legit
People are arrogant

vxr55

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhall VXR8
If the car was made up from 4 different cars then the problem is there could be 4 different insurance companies involved in working out who owned what bits. Nobody would want that hassle. Crushing it would send out a stronger message . Stolen recovered cars are generally returned to their owner, be it the last keeper or the insurance company that paid out on it . This one is a Heinz so it’s not worth the bother and it could also be the police’s way of telling the company that’s building these m3 estates that we are watching you

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
Screenshot_20211114-130629_Facebook.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Outa curiousity @gpaevo what makes this one legit? I know nothing about it
It wasn't made from stolen cars and parts? So they say at least :innocent:

Other than that it's no more or less "legit" than any other modified or custom built car put together in somebody's shed. There is really no way of knowing how well or not it's actually been put together other than commissioning an engineer report or other inspection.

Facetube hype or magazine features mean nothing at all. Built in a shed, you have no idea. Might be superb, might be a pile of dung. No way of knowing without an inspection.

Built by an actual company that's not based in a car park, and with actual history and references? Then more ground to stand on.

No idea where the one above falls.