M4 DCT Query

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
My brother in law has a 2019 M4 Comp pack. He has noticed that when you engage reverse or drive from neutral, there is an audible clunk noise and it can be felt through the car too. He says the same thing isn’t present in the ZF box in his previous 140 or current X3 and is wondering if this is just a trait of the DCT? Anyone else experienced this? He’d just like to know if it’s a fault or if it’s normal.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
My brother in law has a 2019 M4 Comp pack. He has noticed that when you engage reverse or drive from neutral, there is an audible clunk noise and it can be felt through the car too. He says the same thing isn’t present in the ZF box in his previous 140 or current X3 and is wondering if this is just a trait of the DCT? Anyone else experienced this? He’d just like to know if it’s a fault or if it’s normal.
Its a characteristic of the DCT box, the E92 M3s do it too.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Primary reason why BMW dropped the DCT pretty much entirely from its range and has went ZF8 for the new cars.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Cheers folks. Peace of mind then that he hasn't got a dud.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

ZF is an auto with a torque converter, DCT is not.

Although you'd expect the clutch in the DCT to be released enough to not feel gear selections.
Funny how the world thought dual clutch was the future, but now the old faithful ZF 8 speed is in everything now. brilliant box.

Both are becoming very popular in swaps and even standard seem to handle a decent amount of power.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Not driven the 8 speed, does it have the vague "will I / won't I" when moving off from roundabouts etc? It annoyed me in the E60 6 speed ZF.
The ZF box was excellent in my F31 and I would rate it above the DSG box in my R any day of the week.

J55NI

RMS Regular
The ZF box was excellent in my F31 and I would rate it above the DSG box in my R any day of the week.
I'm 100% with you on this after owning both ZF and DSG. ZF just seems so much smoother and always seems to have the correct gear selected. My DSG was lazy and always felt in the wrong gear in 30-40 mph scenarios.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I'm 100% with you on this after owning both ZF and DSG. ZF just seems so much smoother and always seems to have the correct gear selected. My DSG was lazy and always felt in the wrong gear in 30-40 mph scenarios.
I always found the DSG a bit jerky, especially at slow speeds in and around the town.