M4 prices.....

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
used examples with the similar spec and mileage to mine are selling from franchised VW dealerships from 29-31k, and there are not many available in the UK.

They were a couple of grand below the lower end of the above pricing.

For reasons I won’t go into I am no longer buying the M2, for now I will be hanging on to the TCR.

Hope things are ok with you Chris (y)

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Didn’t want to start a new thread.

Looking at M4’s at the minute, are there any niggles I should be watching out for aside from the usual used car things?

was told some turbos have needed a refresh on higher mile cars. Could be bull. I’ll watch the replies here as they are very appealing.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
was told some turbos have needed a refresh on higher mile cars. Could be bull. I’ll watch the replies here as they are very appealing.
Friend had to do his turbos at less than 40k.5 year old car which I think is a bit crap .

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Turbo oil seals leaking is definitely a thing.

Other issues on older cars are a bit niggly, like seat badges cracking or not lighting, seams in seats ripping. Some do like to drink the oil.

Tuning can be an issue - the crank hub has a friction disc and clamping force holding it to the crank, and that isn't enough for some cars when tuned. Slippage can mean anything from retiming the engine to catastrophic damage and a new engine.
I guess its a bit like the Porsche bearing issue - not sure how common it is, could be internet blowing it out of proportion.

aaflyer79

RMS Regular
Slightly off topic, but picked up a new M2 Comp in October. Tried M4 but it felt a bit too big. That’s coming from an F30 so I’m not quite sure why! Anyway, love the M2 competition but sad that you can’t adjust the equaliser settings on the H&K audio to the same extent that you could do in the F30. Anyone know why?

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Slightly off topic, but picked up a new M2 Comp in October. Tried M4 but it felt a bit too big. That’s coming from an F30 so I’m not quite sure why! Anyway, love the M2 competition but sad that you can’t adjust the equaliser settings on the H&K audio to the same extent that you could do in the F30. Anyone know why?
I vaguely recollect something about the 2 series HK audio not being the same system as the f30 gen cars.

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
60k miles seems to be a common point for turbo seals, (~£1500) also rear diff seals, that is just a slight weep though. The crank hub thing has been blown out of all proportion, mainly big power cars but has happened to a few standard ones. But such a small proportion, every car has it’s interweb scare stories.
2+ years into mine and the only failure has been the high tone horn that I didn’t even know had failed lol and as Nigel mentioned the seat badges were ‘crazed’ luckily I got the newer style ones fitted in warranty, nothing major there though.
Just buy on mileage and condition as with everything, one of the most under rated cars out there imo as they don’t do the low speed cruising very well, you need to poke them with a big stick and scare yourself to appreciate them.
Anything registered up to 31/03/17 is the cheaper tax bracket too.

Last edited: