M4 prices.....

Nigelo

RMS Regular
If BMW have really 'screwed the pooch' with the next M3 M4 front, then it'll probably keep above the £20k level. There's just a lot more f80 and f82 gen cars than the E90 / 92 years, which is why they have depreciated.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
What are the interiors and technology like in the most recent revision of the M3 and M4?

Nigelo

RMS Regular
What are the interiors and technology like in the most recent revision of the M3 and M4?

Decent enough, although the design styles of more recent interiors seem to be a little more angular and horizontal, with slightly larger screens placed closer to the driver. And no digital dash in the f80 gen BMWs, but does have a HUD. The interior does have more of an analogue feel than digital as dials and buttons control everything (does have a touch screen though)

Techwise, no android auto but full wireless CarPlay. Screen is a little smaller than the new premium standard of 10in (8.8"). You can spec a lot of safety tech, parking assist, 360° surround view etc.

I'm suppose the thing that i notice occasionally (mainly since the Mrs has a fully loaded new A class) is it doesn't have much 'flair' or what some folks might call 'delight & surprise'. Everything works perfectly, feels good, lovely leather everywhere.... But it's very 'sensible'

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Decent enough, although the design styles of more recent interiors seem to be a little more angular and horizontal, with slightly larger screens placed closer to the driver. And no digital dash in the f80 gen BMWs, but does have a HUD. The interior does have more of an analogue feel than digital as dials and buttons control everything (does have a touch screen though)

Techwise, no android auto but full wireless CarPlay. Screen is a little smaller than the new premium standard of 10in (8.8"). You can spec a lot of safety tech, parking assist, 360° surround view etc.

I'm suppose the thing that i notice occasionally (mainly since the Mrs has a fully loaded new A class) is it doesn't have much 'flair' or what some folks might call 'delight & surprise'. Everything works perfectly, feels good, lovely leather everywhere.... But it's very 'sensible'

Pretty annoying that BMW don't support android auto, I have no desire to go back to an Apple phone but I use my android auto every time I'm in the car.
Pretty annoying that BMW don't support android auto, I have no desire to go back to an Apple phone but I use my android auto every time I'm in the car.

I really don't like the old orange clocks, I had looked at a pre face lift M2 before I decided to go with the TCR and with the exception of the centre screen the interior was almost the same as my E36 M3 I had back in 1998.

Nigelo

RMS Regular

There are a few 'hacks' that allow you run android auto, by plugging in a module that sits between the screen and the amplifier, or by buying an upgraded 10in screen that has a full android operating system that you can switch to.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
There are a few 'hacks' that allow you run android auto, by plugging in a module that sits between the screen and the amplifier, or by buying an upgraded 10in screen that has a full android operating system that you can switch to.
I've done exactly this in my F31. Works great with my Samsung phone.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
I've done exactly this in my F31. Works great with my Samsung phone.
Did you get the screen or the plug-in module? Have considered doing something myself, although Ive been happy using the standard nav and Deezer for music etc.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Awesome, how do you find the:
Screen quality?
Boot up time?
Does it start in iDrive view?
Screen quality is superb, HD YouTube etc is grand, I must check actually and see if it's 1080.
Boot time, 10 secs at the most. Mine is running Android 9 as I've had it about a year.
Starts in whatever system you left it in ie idrive or Android.

I love it, mostly use Waze, Google Maps, SoundCloud, YouTube, Castbox etc and I did have a TV stream on it but the app has shut down.

If I tap the voice button on the steering wheel it goes straight to live navigation.

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM

No orange dials here! Did a vid......I much prefer it over the new 3 series interior, materials are just so much nicer, no squeaks or rattles in mine either

Last edited:

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I bought mine second hand but Country Garage want £3400 for a new one lol ///M tax is real!

It does sound sweet, cars now with the introduction of these OPF filters are just being ruined. A performance car needs to sound like a performance car.

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
Turbos now being used on most performance cars has killed the noise until you mess with the exhaust. Even the f10 m5 was so quiet standard. Stored one for a guy a few years ago for a few months, it had a full eisseman exhaust, the whole garage used to shake on cold start lol

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
Has yours cracked yet around the back box weld/joints?

I actually bought it cracked and had it fixed and braced top and bottom :grinning: it’s an easy fix

5B7002C1-222B-4935-9F13-758F72314EC1.jpeg

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
@Nigelo @MarkM

So I was down looking at some M4s in Bavarian today, are there any options that are really worth the extra money?

If I do go for one I would really like an exhaust like either of yours and some carbon bits, any advice on where is best to get these from? I would doubt that direct from BMW is the best way to go cost wise.

Also, can you give me an idea of servicing costs? I'm not even sure if the service pack is still a thing with BMW, servicing costs is probably what is concerning me the most.

Cheers,
Chris