Main Dealer Car Prep... Best Avoided???

Scottty87

RMS Member
Drives
Toyota Celica
So the wife has just got herself a nice 2018 Mercedes A180 AMG line in gunmetal grey down at Agnews at Boucher and they have suggested adding their Car Protection package at like 300 odd quid.

I'm assuming this is basically a ceramic coating for the exterior and some fabric guard on the interior, probably poorly done with cheap products, completed in a rush id imagine, but I stand to be corrected on that.

Anyone have any experience of whether this would be done to a good standard there or is it best avoided? Also any suggestions on who might be better to take the car to get a minor correction and ceramic coating done would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys

MarkM

RMS Regular
Very unlikely to be ceramic, I’d avoid and put a decent wax on there myself, Agnews Merc are the lowest scumbags I’ve ever had the misfortune to be ****ed over by, not to be trusted!

e320mark

RMS Regular
So the wife has just got herself a nice 2018 Mercedes A180 AMG line in gunmetal grey down at Agnews at Boucher and they have suggested adding their Car Protection package at like 300 odd quid.

I'm assuming this is basically a ceramic coating for the exterior and some fabric guard on the interior, probably poorly done with cheap products, completed in a rush id imagine, but I stand to be corrected on that.

Anyone have any experience of whether this would be done to a good standard there or is it best avoided? Also any suggestions on who might be better to take the car to get a minor correction and ceramic coating done would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys
Personally I would avoid like the plague! You would be better getting in touch with PMG (big Pete) and seeing what you £300 would get you with him! I can guarantee a hell of a lot more and done correctly too!

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Get a quote from PMG. See what £300 could get you there.

Dealer prep isnt great.

Scottty87

RMS Member
OP
Scottty87
Drives
Toyota Celica
Very unlikely to be ceramic, I’d avoid and put a decent wax on there myself, Agnews Merc are the lowest scumbags I’ve ever had the misfortune to be ****ed over by, not to be trusted!
Yeah I assumed as much. My Mrs has been dealing with them and they're on the hard sell with it. I'm quite sure they couldn't clean their own holes. Trying to sell her a very expensive gap insurance policy too. I'll tell them not to bother!

MarkM

RMS Regular
Yeah I assumed as much. My Mrs has been dealing with them and they're on the hard sell with it. I'm quite sure they couldn't clean their own holes. Trying to sell her a very expensive gap insurance policy too. I'll tell them not to bother!

Regarding gap, assuming it’s return to invoice, get an online quote and ask them to beat it, they will huff and puff but ultimately do it :grinning:

Scottty87

RMS Member
OP
Scottty87
Drives
Toyota Celica
Get a quote from PMG. See what £300 could get you there.

Dealer prep isnt great.
Cheers. Seems Pete is still the main man round these parts, I've been off the site for a while. I'll be sure to give him a shout 👍
Regarding gap, assuming it’s return to invoice, get an online quote and ask them to beat it, they will huff and puff but ultimately do it :grinning:
Will do Mark, thanks for the advice. Online is coming in at less than half the price of Merc, so I'll see if I can get them to match it.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Cheers. Seems Pete is still the main man round these parts, I've been off the site for a while. I'll be sure to give him a shout 👍

Will do Mark, thanks for the advice. Online is coming in at less than half the price of Merc, so I'll see if I can get them to match it.

Bavarian started off at £750 for the M4, produced an ALA quote for half that and they beat it after some chest puffing lol

e320mark

RMS Regular
You could also try your insurance company for gap, I have mine through them!

Scottty87

RMS Member
OP
Scottty87
Drives
Toyota Celica
Bavarian started off at £750 for the M4, produced an ALA quote for half that and they beat it after some chest puffing lol
At least they managed to beat the quote for you in the end mate. Bavarian seem dead on to deal with from the few people I know who have dealt with them. My boss get the new 7 Series on every release and they treat him like absolte royalty I must say. Mind you, he's a cash buyer! lol Merc are after £480 for the A180, it's only around £170-£200ish online. I'll have to see what they can do on it!
You could also try your insurance company for gap, I have mine through them!
That actually didn't even occur to me actually, I went straight online. Seems an obvious thought too! Cheers

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Agnews VW handed my Tiguan over with more marks on it than I could handle. They wanted to paint panels on it but it was sent to the Jedi Pete and PMG, came out better than new.

Avoid like the clap

Scottty87

RMS Member
OP
Scottty87
Drives
Toyota Celica
A fair bit. Give me a call tomorrow on 07905125450 and Ill talk you through all your options and you can pick whats right for you and how the car will be used and maintained
Will do Pete, I'll give you a bell tomorrow mate. Cheers
£300 in Agnews is Autglym LifeShine.
Spend a little bit more and let @big_pete cover it in GTechniq
No comparison really! Cheers for the heads up 👍

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T

Totally agree with you, I wouldn’t buy a toy car off those ****ers.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Yeah lol avoid like the plague - had a similar conversation with my Dad when they bought their Frreelander - now he isn't one for car cleaning, he would take it to a euro wash or badly wash it himself so told him to save his money then I explained how crap lifeshine is

a220dms

RMS Regular
Pretend you don’t want the GAP Insurance so they try to push it.. chip a bit off the sale price then take it. You can then cancel within the 14 day statutory period. Same with dealer finance.

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
However far your £300 stretches with @big_pete will be night and day to the dealers offerings anyway. And thats coming from a dealer! Main dealers don't apply the products properly never mind asking over the odds for it in the first place.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I was told the Agnew group had changed their gap insurance provider, I believe it's now underwritten by AXA I think.

This was the excuse for the ridiculous increases, they also had much less discount to apply to the policies presuming you refused the initial price.

I ended up getting the same coverage with a policy from ALA for 4 times cheaper than Agnew's were trying to charge.